• Jewish
    • Muslim
    • Buddhist
    • Hindu
    • Cosmereism
    • Atheist/Agnostic
    • Other
    • Christian - Other

There's nothing I love more than a good, friendly discussion. This type of thread is one of my favorites.

I'm a Mormon...

56db5971274e1d08d54eea1ed7732c35.jpg

^_^

Anyways, yeah. Personally, while I believe that my religion is the only one to contain the whole truth (as I'm sure many other people of different faiths do, of course) I have nothing but respect for others and their respective beliefs. If you are, say, a Kemetic pagan (which I've never heard of before; the things you can learn!), or an atheist, that's fine. I do not share your beliefs. That's also fine. I think what matters a lot is not your specific denomination or faith, but that you're a nice human being. Which all of you are. :D

Keep going, guys. Y'all are awesome.

I was going to post something exactly like this. Thanks, Slowswift. You're awesome.

Also... just because I can...

Mormon-LDS-Meme-Funny-8.jpg

Eh, might as well post. I'm (technically) Catholic; I was baptised, believe the sacraments, etc.

In practice, I've lapsed; a lot. I haven't attended mass in some time, and my faith in the church has been damaged as a result if recent scandals and the fact that I have beliefs (like being supportive of homosexuality) which the church doesn't share.

Still... Catholic. Just...don't expect me to be a font of information or anything.

Eh, might as well post. I'm (technically) Catholic; I was baptised, believe the sacraments, etc.

In practice, I've lapsed; a lot. I haven't attended mass in some time, and my faith in the church has been damaged as a result if recent scandals and the fact that I have beliefs (like being supportive of homosexuality) which the church doesn't share.

Still... Catholic. Just...don't expect me to be a font of information or anything.

Joining the technically Catholic but lapsed wagon >>

Baptised, passed Confession, but never made it to the sacrament of Confirmation due to issues with moving between parishes and not having proper documentation for Confirmation.

I'd say that part of the reason I lapsed was that I questioned a lot of things about my faith--and I don't mean the Catholic faith, but my faith as a Catholic. I guess I'm still questioning. It's a reason I just tick the 'agnostic' box. It's easier that way, even though I guess 'lost' would be a better word.

If I were to be brutally honest though, the ritual part of Mass just didn't click with me. I appreciate the Catholic focus on good works over evangelism (at least the parishes here do), and penance. But the rituals--well, to be brutally frank, they bored me. And that's a very ugly thing to admit to myself: that I just didn't have what it took to repeatedly last through a Mass. That I couldn't find God there. I'm sure it says something about me as a person. And I guess I have to own up to it first.

Okay. Sorry guys, this got kind of awkwardly confessional. Let's just leave it at my boarding the lapsed Catholic wagon, eh? :P

I believe the issue is that having a catch-all "Christian" option would negate the OP's purpose in running this poll. He has a hypothesis that has not been expounded (if I were to hazard a guess, I would say it would be that a good portion of Sanderson readers are Mormon... what I find interesting are the number of agnostics/atheists).

This may be because, I believe, the majority of the members in this forum are millennials, a generations known for its low levels of religiosity. 

What I find most interesting about this is that Sanderson isn't secretive about his faith, and yet he's built a pretty religiously diverse fan base. There's some "Christian lit" that's frankly alienating to those outside the church, or even to those within it if they don't happen to share the author's exact views. (Remember what I said about Protestant denominations splitting hairs? That hair-splitting can get pretty exact, down to "we're going to start a whole new denomination because we disagree with our parent church's interpretation of this one verse.") I've read quite a few authors who let their stories get lost in the message, to the point where I'd be reading it, thinking "Nobody who disagrees with this author's religious beliefs is ever going to finish this." That Sanderson can be so open about his faith, and write books that explore various facets of religion, without alienating people who don't share his beliefs is a testament to his skill. 

That's what I find interesting as well, Twi. I believe Sanderson is interested in telling a story, not proselytize (like, say, C. S. Lewis with the Chronicles of Narnia). 

For the poll, I think adding 'Christianity' in general as an option, while keeping the sub-sects might be a good compromise.  That way, people who identify as simply Christian, or whose denomination is not included on the list, still have an option, but the poll still shows more accuracy.  

Another option would be to add religions to the poll as they are brought up in the the thread, which would lead to the greatest accuracy, and wouldn't privilege Christianity over the others.  Since Brandon is based in North America, it is more likely that western religions (which are mostly different denominations of Christianity), will be more common, but I don't think that justifies lumping other groups together, who might have less in common than many of the Christian denominations that have already been separated out.  

For me, I'm Mennonite, which is a Christian denomination.  Most people lump Mennonites in with the Amish and Hutterites, however only the sect that I've heard called "old order" Mennonites are really similar to those other groups, though we all share a common heritage.  

I grew up Mennonite, so I'm obviously biased, and since it is a cultural as well as a religious designation, sometimes it can be difficult to determine if someone who identifies as Mennonite is speaking culturally, religiously, or both.  I've had my problems with the church, but I like the direction we are currently headed in, so I'm prepared to ride things out. I think the things I like the most about the Mennonite Church (or at least, the Canadian Conference Church, which is a separate entity from the Mennonite Brethren or other Mennonite Groups), is the inclusion of pacifism as a core principle, and the focus on service and leading by example as a means of religious expression.  I also like the idea of adult baptism and the intentionality of choosing to belong to a Church when you feel ready.  

I also like the cultural things--the perogies, the relief sales, the hymns with four part harmony--but to me, these are all secondary to the core ideals of my personal belief system.  

As you can tell from my above post, Mennonites seem to love sub-dividing just as much as the other Christian denominations we've talked about.  I agree with a lot of what's been said here, and think that a lot more ecumenical or multi-denominational efforts to build bridges between different traditions and focus on common beliefs rather than differences could make some pretty big differences in the world.  I know right now, the Mennonite Church in Saskatchewan (where I live) has been doing a lot of Peace and Reconciliation Work with First Nations Groups whose lands were given to the Mennonites to farm when they first arrived in Canada, and it's been cool to see the interactions between these two cultural and religious groups, and with the other groups who have gotten involved.  

Sorry if that got a little rambly, haha.  I tend to blab a bit on this subject. 

I ticked the Protestant box, but I identify more with Christian. Used to be an atheist. Researched and studied, became a Christian.

My personal belief is that just because someone exists, doesn't mean their actions are in the right.

I'm assuming you're referring to a God, here? If so, I disagree, but I don't want to argue about it and get this thread locked. If you want, though, I'm perfectly willing to discuss in a PM.

Why I love these forums: this is a mature discussion about religion that hasn't gotten heated at all. That's insanely impressive, especially given that this is the internet.  :)

Also, I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints :D (sang it as I typed it, lol)

Why I love these forums: this is a mature discussion about religion that hasn't gotten heated at all. That's insanely impressive, especially given that this is the internet.  :)

Also, I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints :D (sang it as I typed it, lol)

I know who I am... I know God's plan... I'll faaah-low him in faaaaaith!

When I was younger, I always found the term "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" confusing. I didn't even know for the longest time that they were the same thing as "mormons", I always thought it was just like a single church down the street. Locally to where i grew up, i saw commercials on PBS pretty commonly that ended with "Brought to you by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" which is what made me think that it was like, just a church i could just visit down the street or something. It took a number of years before I realized it was really the name of an actual religion, not like the name of some specific building somewhere. It took even longer before I found out that mormons = LDS.

When I was younger, I always found the term "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" confusing. I didn't even know for the longest time that they were the same thing as "mormons", I always thought it was just like a single church down the street. Locally to where i grew up, i saw commercials on PBS pretty commonly that ended with "Brought to you by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" which is what made me think that it was like, just a church i could just visit down the street or something. It took a number of years before I realized it was really the name of an actual religion, not like the name of some specific building somewhere. It took even longer before I found out that mormons = LDS.

I understand how that could be confusing XD

Funny story: when I was little, I thought that Christian was a specific religion like Methodist or Catholic or something. So one day on the playground, my friend (who isn't a member) said something about me being Christian. And I was like, No I'm not!! I'm Mormon!! so we got into this argument about whether or not I was Christian. but I was the one saying I wasn't Christian. Oh, the irony.

Pentecostals don't have songs like that...probably because the only word that rhymes with "Pentecostal" is "hostile" and that doesn't lend itself well to children's songs. :P

Weee are Pentacostaaaal....

And weeeeeee aren't hostiiiiiile....

I see your point. :P

The point to never lose sight of is that whatever religion we follow, it should be spurring us to try to be better people.  Better than last year, than last week, than yesterday - so long as we are always striving to be our best selves, we're on the right path.

I absolutely second that  :)

I voted other, as I am a neo-pagan « witch » of the Reclaiming tradition. I don't believe in specific Gods or Godesses, but I believe there are forces that rules our universe; to me, personifying them is a way to help starting to comprehend them.

YES!! The hymns that always get me are I Know That My Redeemer Lives, Come Come ye Saints, and I Stand All Amazed. Storming amazing songs.

EDIT: (don't want to double post) Out of curiosity, are there people who still worship the Greek gods?

Edited by Lady Eowyn

I'm throwing my vote in as a member of the LDS/Mormon faith. And I'm pretty much in the same boat as slowswift here:

There's nothing I love more than a good, friendly discussion. This type of thread is one of my favorites.

I'm a Mormon...

56db5971274e1d08d54eea1ed7732c35.jpg

^_^

Anyways, yeah. Personally, while I believe that my religion is the only one to contain the whole truth (as I'm sure many other people of different faiths do, of course) I have nothing but respect for others and their respective beliefs. If you are, say, a Kemetic pagan (which I've never heard of before; the things you can learn!), or an atheist, that's fine. I do not share your beliefs. That's also fine. I think what matters a lot is not your specific denomination or faith, but that you're a nice human being. Which all of you are.  :D

Keep going, guys. Y'all are awesome.

IT IS BEST THING.

Seriously, everyone who reads this, go look it up.

OH MY GOODNESS WHY HAVEN'T I HEARD THIS BEFORE?!

Atheist for me. I'm not sure how in depth I'm supposed to share. My dad technically raised me as Christian, but he was the kind of Christian who never opened his Bible or went to Church. Needless to say, it has never been any part of my life, so when I got on my own, I was agnostic. It just wasn't relevant in my life, and I suspect it never will. I then dated a Mormon girl, and I have a lot of respect for Mormons, but... ugh. The conflict that arose in that relationship made me move solidly from agnostic to being atheist. Pro tip: don't date extremely religious people if you aren't religious. But that's an entirely different story :P

Totally unrelated, but as hymns go... let me say that as a nonbeliever, they've made me incredibly uncomfortable in the few occasions I've gone to church as an adult. It's not just the singing in public, but the lyrics do make me very uncomfortable, so in those times I just mouth the words, but don't sing them. It's probably one of the most disconcerting emotions I've had. It makes total sense for believers, but whoa, they are extremely weird if you aren't.

Pentecostals don't have songs like that...probably because the only word that rhymes with "Pentecostal" is "hostile" and that doesn't lend itself well to children's songs. :P

No neeeeed to get hostile,

We're merely Pentecostal!

We will not cramp your style!

Marchin' rank and file,

Being just Pentecostal!

With no need for your bile!

Edited by Orlion

Totally unrelated, but as hymns go... let me say that as a nonbeliever, they've made me incredibly uncomfortable in the few occasions I've gone to church as an adult. It's not just the singing in public, but the lyrics do make me very uncomfortable, so in those times I just mouth the words, but don't sing them. It's probably one of the most disconcerting emotions I've had. It makes total sense for believers, but whoa, they are extremely weird if you aren't.

As a believer, I'm not fond of them either. I love the hymns themselves. I love listening to them, singing along in my car or even just enjoying the words. I don't like singing along in church, with everyone else following as a band plays onstage. It isn't stage fright--ivr never really gotten that and have always enjoyed public speaking--so I'm not entirely sure why l don't like singing worship songs in church. I just don't. Never have, really.