Long Game 6: Daes Dae'Mar, The Great Game

Dellan watched the accusations fly across the room, some even directed at him! This is pointless, he thought to himself. We won’t achieve anything this way.

“We need to stop with these foolish accusations! he interjected, pushing himself to the center of the crowd. “We have a foreigner who has now accused two of our fellows and even I have been accused without reason! He gestured towards one woman in the group.

“Malai, I have known you for some time, and did not think that you would be one to give in to such paranoia! I will, however, forgive you today. I will not hold this against you.”

He turned towards the foreigner. “You, however, are an outsider. No one can vouch for you. No one knows anything about you but your name, and even that could be a lie. You have sown dissent and confusion amongst us. You could very easily be an agent of the enemy come to destabilize us.  If anyone deserves to be lynched, it is you, Newan!”

EDIT: Tab key broke, that ain't good.

Edited by Kal Dell

A few people have asked so I'll clarify this with a seperate post. I do NOT need to be included in PM's between players. That only really needs to be in effect when there's limited means of communication in the game, and since you all can freely PM each other... that'd be way too much for me to keep track of. :P Thanks for everyone that  has asked me about it first, though.

Carry on with your regularly scheduled killings.

Jain rubbed his forehead with his toy panda. People had started to accuse him and the other traveler of being responsible of the Town Mayor's murder, just because they were travelers. So much for taking a break fro traveling in a nice, peaceful town. While the toy panda was fairly battered from years of travel, its fur was still soft. And cuddly. So far, people had been throwing accusations and votes around blindly. Jain had no desire to join in the conflict. Such things were too tiring. And lethal.

So yeah. Abstinence. I'm not going to vote or lynch vote anyone, until I'm sure who's who.

New One, you really are burning the house down with your accusations. You're going to rush this game, aren't you?

Witless slept peacefully, curled up under the hay in the hayloft of the inn’s stable. It was warm, and he wanted to stay there forever. If only Gade would stop kicking him out of the loft whenever they found him up there….

The sun was high in the sky, Witless knew, but he didn’t care. Or at least, he wouldn’t if there wasn’t a ray of it coming through the thatched roof and shining on his face. He rolled over, keeping his eyes firmly shut, and settled back further into the hay.

A clanging sounded in the stables below, and Witless jerked awake. “Who’s up there?” a voice called to him. Witless groaned. The stableboy. “Witless? Is that you? I thought Master Gade made it perfectly clear you weren’t allowed to sleep up there anymore!”

Witless glared down at the boy, but when the boy started toward the ladder, Witless moved. “Alright, alright. I’m going,” he grumbled. When he reached the bottom of the ladder, he sauntered past the boy, muttering. “Pesky little upstart. Let’s see you go for weeks sleeping in the woods and see if you wouldn’t want a warm loft.”

He wrapped his thin cloak around him as he stepped out into the stableyard, and hurried away from the inn. Best not to let Gade see him. The innkeeper would likely set his dogs on him to chase him off the yard again. Witless had kicked one of them the last time Gade had done that. Or at least, he’d tried to kick the mut. His foot got tangled up in the ratty ends of his cloak and he’d ended up on his back in the mud, with the mongrels ripping even more holes in his cloak before Gade had called them back.

He hurried past the inn, wondering what he’d eat today. Maybe one of the traps caught something...No, best not to hope for that. The snares he’d set in the woods had proven vastly unsuccessful thus far. He’d caught one scrawny rabbit two weeks ago, and when he’d cooked it over his fire, it had barely enough meat on its bones to fill even a quarter of his stomach. Still, I should probably check them all the same.

He marched off down the road, before movement in his periphery drew his attention. A crowd was gathered down the road, around the town hall. He generally avoided the crowds of townfolk, not particularly caring to hear them all mutter about his intelligence. They don’t know what they’re talking about. His hesitation only lasted a moment before his curiosity got the better of him. I wonder if the Mayor’s going to make some proclamation.

As he neared the Green, he stopped dead in his tracks. Red covered the exterior of the town hall, and he could see more red stained the dirt in front of the building. Splotches of it, all over the road, and even some reaching out onto the Green. Witless didn’t need to get closer to know what the red was. He could smell the iron even from this distance. Blood. Who in the world could do this?

He was too busy staring at the bloody walls across the Green to see Leas Fel mount the Mayor’s platform. It wasn’t until the old veteran started speaking that Witless noticed him. For a moment, Witless was confused about why Fel was up there and not the Mayor, and then it clicked. The blood. The town hall. The Mayor’s dead. And Fel was talking about Darkfriends in their midst.

Witless shivered and glanced around the green at all the people gathered there. Sure, many of them had been rude to him at some point in the past, but darkfriends? And what’s this about companions to travel around the village? That kind of a proclamation was all fine for most of the village rabble, but Witless knew what the people thought of him, however wrong they were in their assumptions. None of them would debase themselves enough to keep him company. And even if one did, if Fel was right about traitors and darkfriends, what if that person wasn’t one of them? No, Witless knew that the only person he could trust was himself.

He turned around and hurried away from the Green and the red-splattered town hall. It was time to check his traps. And maybe, when he was done, he’d keep an eye on the village. He knew these people, bad and good. Maybe he’d be able to find who killed the Mayor. Darkfriends indeed. Witless shivered again.

Reading through the rules, it looks like we can elect a Mayor every day. And I think rotating that role might be the best option for us. It'll keep the double vote moving around, and it will also limit the target that the Mayor has with the Darkfriends and Fain. I don't really care who takes the mantle first, and since my name's been thrown up there, I'll let everyone else decide.

Not sure if it'll do any good pointing this out, but the peculiar circular voting fashion of Dellan, Malai and Newan strikes me off as suspicious. They also are the only ones that voted (unless I totally missed something, possible). Both the fact that they made each others' vote as good as not voting, and the hurry of it, gives me a reason to vote for one at random among you.

I'm holding off a bit regarding the mayor election.

Edit: Corrections

Edited by jaelre

Hah. I just noticed the circular vote Pattern.

-

I just thought a couple accusations and a couple votes would get things moving around here. You know, make things get more exciting! Plus who knows! Whoever we end up lynching could end up actually being a Darkfriend, now wouldn't that be funny. :P

Gade it's all good.  I believe you.  Changing my vote now to the next suspicion I can summon.  

*gasp* someone wants to kill my character because he's not from here? That's racist! 

But using RP to determine your vote just seems like a tricky way to do it without explaining your logic.  So, Dellan, explain to me the real reason you are voting to kill me.  Is it because I am an instigator?  Because if I was a darkfriend, I would probably wait and see if people piled onto my vote.  

And yes, I know that this means there are two votes on Dellan now.  Don't worry.  I'm good at changing my vote.  

PS. Yep, Panda, that's the goal.

Edit: colors, again.

Edited by New One

I wanted to get debates happening and the game to get rolling. I'm new, so I may have done a bit too much pushing for it. My reasoning for choosing to vote for you is this: You were the first one to go for a lynch vote, which made you a juicier target. While that might not seem like much of a reason, it was pretty much the only way I could think of to shake things up. The RP bit and you changing your vote a couple times just added onto that. :P
Newan, I'm willing to extend the hand of friendship if you are. I'd rather not die on the first day due to a misunderstanding of motives. And by your own words "If I was a darkfriend, I would probably wait and see if people piled onto my vote."

Alright, Dellan. That makes sense.  We are seeking the same results, so we might as well not vote against each other.  

Panda, I think you misunderstood me.  I don't have the ability to speed up the game.  The part I am speeding up is the part where we all sit around, waiting for somebody to drop some evidence in our laps.  There's no use tossing the dice if we don't shake them up first.  

Jae, I like that idea, but it's flawed.  I had already changed my vote away from Maili before Maili or Dellan cast their votes.  So the circular vote pattern (makes me think of a snake eating its tail) never actually happened at once.  

Lam, I want to see your theory that incriminates me along with the manure salesman.  If it's really just a gut feeling, I guess that's ok.  It's not like we have much more than that to go on at this point.  But if you actually have a theory behind it, you should tell us.  

Edit: light blasted colors!

Edited by New One

Been hashing out some possibilities of Role Interactions in the Speculation Doc, so I decided to make this a whole new declaration.

How Role-Blocking Works: Role-blocking will technically work as it makes the Action role-blocked never technically happen. So if a Channeler or Padan Fain get roleblocked, their Power Use or Corruption will count as never being used. This will also then effect the Thief-Taker, as if they target somebody who was role-blocked, since the person never made an action was never technically performed. So their result would then show up as "Unsuccessful".
An Update about the Thief-Taker: The Thief-Taker's powers are that they work as that they 'Sniff' down a player's trail from the Night Before. So they get two possible results from when they send in their orders: Either they find out who their Target targeted -or- their attempt at finding a trail is "Unsuccesful" Same as with Vanilla players or players who just regularly didn't perform an Action at Night.
So if somebody gets Role-blocked, there is no action that occurs
Because the Thief-taker is the only Role that has an Action that occurs at day, this gives them the advantage where they can't ever be role-blocked, so also keep that in mind.

Darkfriends and Corruption: The Darkfriend's "Night Kill" ability is technically an Alignment power, so if they get Corrupted, they still have the power to pull out the Night Kill. How The Darkfriend Kill works is they have to agree upon and assign who will be performing the Kill in their Doc, then that person PMs me with their choice. It is up to the person performing the Night Kill for them if they want to follow along with who everyone agreed to take out, of course ;) This does not count as the Forsaken's kill, as that power it totally their choice to use, and they submit their target via PM.

Mayors: Re-reading how I worded it, a new Mayor could be elected every day.With my earlier
clarification on the Mayor's voting powers, since their +1 vote power wouldn't go into effect until the next Day they vote in, if you elect a new mayor every day then they won't get to use their Mayor Power. But if you rotate them every other day, there should be no problem with that. ;)

*yet another Update*
Dragon Fangs: Since Vanilla (i.e., Roleless) players have the option to scrawl a Dragon Fang on a players door at night, this counts as a Night Action and can be tracked by the Thief-Taker and/or Role-blocked. Apologies for not having all of this worked out, exactly, before everything started. But at least it's all getting acknowledged on the first Day!

Phew. Hopefully I got anything too major before it comes up. Once again.... carry on as usual. :P

Edited by Gamma Fiend

Don't worry about me. I wanted to practice my improvisation. =)

Erik entered the Spruce Thicket almost on Leas's heels. "That was a pretty speech there, commander." The title carried an edge of doubt. "But putting three foreigners in charge of the defenses? Do you think all these scheming Cairhienins are going to sit back and just let that slide? Look at them. Your mayor just got slaughtered, and they're already maneuvering to fill the office."

Erik groaned as he dropped onto one of the common room's benches, then looked Leas in the eye. "I'll help you fight the shadowspawn, and the darkfriends as need be. But I won't be a pawn in these political games, alright. Leave me out of it." He leaned back against the table. I'm too old for this nonsense. Scheming Cairhienins.

So the mayor only has a doubled vote if he or she holds the office for the entire cycle? Or said another way, the mayor's vote is only a single vote on the day cycle that he or she is voted out. I suppose that makes sense. Why would the mayor have a greater influence as they are being voted out of office?

Edit: Meant to drop the quote before posting. =)

Edited by Sir Jerric

Twim Cabalen--Creator shelter him--had not yet been laid into the ground when the arguments began. Calls for the election of a new Mayor warred with accusations and Kaim felt the beginning of a headache setting in. He nodded a quick thanks at Douza when the boy relayed Leas's message, but did not hide his sigh. The evenings had been cold and wet, recently, and he'd hoped for a warm pipe by the fire. Still, the patrols were essential, with the Trollocs coming down on them and for all that he wasn't a soldier, Leas was, and Kaim supposed the veteran knew what he was doing.

Light help him, he'd taken to wearing his short sword and sword-breaker again. He cleaned them daily, and took care of the worn weapons, for all he'd thought he'd never need them again after his retirement, but it seemed the Pattern had other plans. He'd practised with them, feeling years of experience come back to him after the first few clumsy attempts. Far better than a sword.

No help for it, then. "I'll cast my vote for Witless as Mayor," he said, raising his voice so he could be heard. For all he was the town fool, Witless was clever--there were depths to that man, and one way or another, Kaim thought he might just weather the gathering storm that was about to hit Drell's Crossing.

I'm divided about whether we should have a Mayor the first day or not. At the same time, while I have some other thoughts on the matter (after all, we should be able to get some use out of that role...), I also like Wilson's suggestion that we regularly rotate Mayors in order to deal with the threat of voting in a DF or corruption (sounds like politics, anyone?) So on one hand, my vote serves the purpose of tying the votes for Mayor (defeasibly). It also puts forward a vote for someone who I believe is a skilled player, and who would therefore be an asset in that position. I do try to hedge my bets. I admit this probably doesn't matter much if the Mayor is being rotated each day, but at the same time, putting someone up for Mayor is going to turn a bit of attention on them, and I'd like to vote for someone who I think can take the heat. (And if she's a DF/PF, then if we vote her out tomorrow, we're limiting the damage she can do.)

I'm note really sure what to believe of this actually, so I've tried to make a List of the current votes:

Votes for Major:

Witless (2): Kaim, Malai

Waes (2) : Newan, Rishi

Sprell (1) : Sprell

Votes for Lynch:

Lam (1) : Newan

Dellan (1) : Malai Newan

Newan (0) : : Dellan

Gade (0) : : Newan Gade?

Malai (0) : : Newan

I could have missed things, so don't take take this list for granted.

It seems to me that Newan's name turns up a little to often in this list, he claims to be trying to encourage discussion, and he very well may be, but it seems a little to aggressive to me at this point. I am suspicious, but not enough to vote for him at the moment. 

When it comes to the Major Vote, It seems to me that we should vote for a new Major every time a Corruption is done since the Major would be a big target. (We is notified of that aren't we?) Since Padan Fain probably will convert someone straight on, it may be pointless to appoint someone now, but in case no Conversion happens, its probably good to elect a major today.

Edit: aaaaaaand, blue.

Edited by Binnut

Nath didn't go to see the body. He had heard the descriptions from those who had already gone to see it and those were horrible enough. So instead Nath went to the inn, Spruce Thicket, to get a drink.

At the inn Nath learned about a Seanchan that was running around accusing anyone he could find of being the mayor's murderer. "Crazy Seanchan," Nath thought. "He probably thinks we are all Raken that need to be controlled." Nath just shook his head and went back to his drink.

Along with that I'm going to vote Waes for town mayor.

I'm going to vote for Witless for the mayor. I've worked with her before, (When we were both Evil) and she's very good. so if she's a Lightfriend this game, she'll be a very good person to have in the Mayor's office. Also, I would like it if both Witless and Waes could be on, and tell us why they should, or shouldn't be the Mayor.

The warm, mid-morning sunlight that shone down over Drell's Crossing was at odds with the mood that had settled over the once cheery town. Already neighbors had begun to suspect one another and mothers clutched the hands of their children a bit more tightly. Several shouting matches had already erupted at the local inn.

Far from the hubbub at the center of town a sturdy, shaggy pony grazed the green grass that grew along the river bank. As the pony tore a thick tuft of grass from the bank the pop of a snapping twig was heard. There was a stick in the mouthful that Bela chewed. It was a stick. 

It was a stick.

It was a stick.

It was a stick. 

Bela ate the stick. 

Even for a first timer I guess I should have known better than to try to RP with a horse. Oh well, lets have some fun with it. 

To be completely honest Joe, I really didn't have any intentions of running for the position of mayor. Obviously, I'd do the best I could to assist the village if given the title but I'm not going to tout my own horn to get elected. You have enough experience playing with me to know if I'm good enough at the game to do the job justice (though I can understand why you'd have more fondness for your experiences with Wilson ;)). 

Edit: Color

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

Erik groaned as he dropped onto one of the common room's benches, then looked Leas in the eye. "I'll help you fight the shadowspawn, and the darkfriends as need be. But I won't be a pawn in these political games, alright. Leave me out of it."

Sitting down himself, Leas motioned to Rishi to get drinks for his small group.

"I know some of the villagers will be unhappy following foreigners, but with trollocs a mere week's march away, and darkfriends already here, I can't take the time to get any of them to the point where they can lead. You four have at least some idea of what surviving this will entail."

Pausing as a few of the others filtered into the inn, he continued. "If people want to play at the Daes Dae'mar, let them; so long as it doesn't interfere with our plans for the village's protection. There's no need for us to be involed past what is required to remove the darkfriends."

Now that everyone was seated, it was time to begin planning. "Obviously, we need to beging investigating somehow. We'll need the cooperation of the villagers, although we will not be able to trust all of the informan they give us. We won't even be able to trust each other, as we have no way of knowing who may serve the Dark One."

"In the earlier arguments, Gade's erratic behaviour drew several eyes on him, though most have found other targets now. I would suggest we start there. Are there any other suggestions?"

On that note, what exactly has happened this cycle?

Newan, Dellan, Gade, Malai and Lam have been voted for, and Wilson and Wes have been named Mayoral candidates. Gade’s actions strike me as very suspicious, as do the lack of names thrown around for the Mayor role. Newan has been doing an admirable job of stirring up conversation on the first day, which is nice. While his actions could be construed as ill intentioned, I find it unlikely that it’s something a Darkfriend would do so early in the game, and it’s most definitely not something Fain or the Forsaken would be doing. For the time being, I will vote
Gade, I think.

I do however like Wilson’s suggestion of switching the Mayor role around often enough that it has some use without becoming a Kill-magnet. That increases the chances of it coming to a Darkfriend or a Corrupted, but it also limits the damage that would be done if one were to be elected. As such, I think I’ll be voting Wilson for Mayor.

Jae stepped in the Inn's hall holding a tray full of empty mugs. The murder had been stunning, and people were already pouring in to drown the unpleasant surprise in alcohol. A very uninteresting guy had just come in, Nath he was called, he thought.

"I heard there's a guy running wild. He's accusing the first person he stumbles upon they're the killer. I think he's Seanchan. The empire must be no good for those fellas, if he's any example." he said, answering his call to bring him a drink.

The patron seemed lost in thought though, so he went back to scrubbing the few rooms he still hadn't cleaned.

So, we have two potential mayors with 2 votes each. Neither is going to vote for themselves, nor outwardly tries to wriggle out of it. Following Aonar reasoning I'm going to vote for Wilson for Mayor as well.

I'm going to vote for Khamsi to hear for people that haven't posted yet.

Joe, I'm not about to get into some debate about why I should be mayor more than Wes or why I shouldn't at all. In the end, it's what you guys want, and I'll do the best I can with it if I'm elected. But I'm not about to hold it for more than just tomorrow. I really think it's best to keep it rotating. And probably even better if the current mayor abstains from the election of the next mayor (because if it does fall into the hands of the DF or Fain, we don't want it to stay there, and they would know who their teammates are).

I utterly forgot to ask this. Hey Gamma: what colour should a retracted Mayor vote be in?

Just to track the two main contenders for Mayor at this point in time:

Waes (3): Newan, Rishi, Nath

Witless (5): Malai, Kaim, Joel, Leas, Jae.

And--what a shocker! Witless charges up from behind to even the score with votes from Leas and Jae! Witless leading, 5-3! What will be the final result? Drell's Crossing, everyone! Stay tuned!

What, do you think, is the likelihood that either Witless or Weas is a Darkfriend? Surely the Darkfriends would rather not want to draw attention by entering the mayorial election in the first place. Yet if they did then they'd do whatever they could to get their candidate elected. I don't see how else there could be so many votes for a Mayor this early on in the game.