I think I know the last Shard

Bluepanther512

So I think that Virtuosity isn’t a spoiler; it’s like 20 pages into the book, and it’s just mentioned in passing. If it is, sorry. Anyways, with the idea that the last Shard wants to stay away from the rest of the Cosmere, but is beginning to think that this isn’t the best path. Additionally the last Shard may be the opposite of Virtuosity, as art is not always practical. So with that out of the way, I believe that the name of the last Shard is ‘Practicality’.

Sorry mate it was a nice theory, but Brandon has confirmed that Virtuosity is a shard:

Jofwu

Can you elaborate on why you picked the name Virtuosity? As in, what does it mean to you and how does it fit in to the Cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

So Virtuosity is specifically relating to artistic talent and artistic sense. I actually was just debating between Artistry and Virtuosity, and I settled on Virtuosity after a decently long debate; it's one of the reasons I haven't canonized this one yet. It is the last big hole. (I know there is one I haven't revealed that you guys kind of know what that one's general Intent is so this is the last big one to reveal, as I believe. I think there is only one, and I think you know part of that one. Maybe I am wrong. I'll have to go back and see; it's hard to remember what you guys know and what you don't know sometimes.)

I wanted to get this one into the Cosmere so that we basically have all sixteen, now. The big decision was: what do I call them? And at the end, Virtuosity just rang to me in the same way Odium did, and so I picked that one. This is the Shard of artistic intent, and artistic talent, and artistic appreciation.

Secret Project #3 Reveal and Livestream (March 22, 2022)

asmodeus

By the time of [Yumi and the Nightmare Painter], it has been more than 10,000 years since the Shattering. In this story, there is an implication that Virtuosity Splintered herself 1700 years ago. Can you tell us something about what she was doing in between?

Brandon Sanderson

In between?

Adam Horne

The 10,000 years since the Shattering and her...

Brandon Sanderson

Until then? Virtuosity was exploring the artistic expressions of the cosmere. And choosing not to settle in one location--something that Virtuosity was not keen on doing. Not for too long at least.

Eric-d-Culver

Can you confirm: is Virtuosity one of the original sixteen Shards? If not, what Shards make it up?

Brandon Sanderson

Ah, this is an excellent question. Yes, Virtuosity is one of the original sixteen. That's a good question; they are getting wise to my tricks.

With that said, I don't think we actually know all 16 Shards for sure;
We know Ruin & Preservation (Harmony), Dominion, Devotion, Honor, Cultivation, Odium, Autonomy, Endowment, Mercy, Valor, Ambition, Invention, Whimsy, and Virtuosity. That is only 15 (or 14 with a Double shard). There is some decent circumstantial evidence that the last Shard is Wisdom/Prudence/something to this effect but I don't think we have specific confirmation at this time.

Edited by The Sovereign

There is one more Shard left. And it is unclear if this is the "Survival" Shard, or "Wisdom-like" Shard that realized survival isn't the best option anymore (WoB and WoB) or just someone else. Survival shard might be Wisdom-like Shard, so it will be the last one. Or Wisdom-like Shard is Virtuosity but isn't Survival Shard. Or Virtuosity is Survival Shard, but isn't Wisdom-like Shard. Survival Shard might be one of those that got introduced lastly, but I find it unlikely (RAFO - Invention was mentioned by Harmony to disappear after initial contact, or this might be the Shard without a planet but isn't the Survival one - WoB, look at footnote). There is still many possiblities. I personally think that Virtuasity is Wisdom-like Shard, but isn't Survival Shard.

11 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

Sorry mate it was a nice theory, but Brandon has confirmed that Virtuosity is a shard:

With that said, I don't think we actually know all 16 Shards for sure;
We know Ruin & Preservation (Harmony), Dominion, Devotion, Honor, Cultivation, Odium, Autonomy, Endowment, Mercy, Valor, Ambition, Invention, Whimsy, and Virtuosity. That is only 15 (or 14 with a Double shard). There is some decent circumstantial evidence that the last Shard is Wisdom/Prudence/something to this effect but I don't think we have specific confirmation at this time.

OP isnt saying that Virtuosity isnt a Shard just that they don’t think mentioning it is a spoiler. They think that counting Virtuosity there is one as of yet unrevealed Shard (true) and they think that that Shard otherwise called Wisdom/Prudence is in fact “Practicality” (theory).

11 hours ago, lacrossedeamon said:

OP isnt saying that Virtuosity isnt a Shard just that they don’t think mentioning it is a spoiler. They think that counting Virtuosity there is one as of yet unrevealed Shard (true) and they think that that Shard otherwise called Wisdom/Prudence is in fact “Practicality” (theory).

Yup, I seem to have misread what they said.

Edited by The Sovereign

Sorry for the rant in this post, but, come on. It's amazing how some people don't care for the rest of us that want to avoid spoilers for Secret Projects.

Read the spoiler policies. There's dedicated forums for that. All over different forums I have been spoiled about stuff from SPs.

On 2/10/2023 at 8:20 PM, Bluepanther512 said:

So I think that Virtuosity isn’t a spoiler; it’s like 20 pages into the book, and it’s just mentioned in passing. If it is, sorry. Anyways, with the idea that the last Shard wants to stay away from the rest of the Cosmere, but is beginning to think that this isn’t the best path. Additionally the last Shard may be the opposite of Virtuosity, as art is not always practical. So with that out of the way, I believe that the name of the last Shard is ‘Practicality’.

Virtuosity 100% is a spoiler, I've moved this to the appropriate forum.

• 3 weeks later...