Dragonsteel (Convention) 2022 Meetups, Roommates, etc.

Argent

Hey everyone!

We've seen a few questions regarding in-person meetups for this year's Dragonsteel convention, and a few declarations of interest for splitting room costs with another fan, so we wanted to create a space we can direct people to when they ask about these things. Note that we are not overseeing anything here (beyond the normal forums rules), so if you choose to share a room with someone and that someone bails (or you bail! how dare you?), that's between the two of you. 

Notably absent from all this are badge sales/transfers. Neither we nor Dragonsteel want to deal with facilitating things like that directly, but if you are someone who has a badge they no longer need, and you know there's someone looking for a badge, you can set something up where, at a prearranged time, the "seller" returns it to the Tabletop website, and the "buyer" goes and grabs it. It's not sale in the traditional sense, so you can still use this thread to help facilitate this kind of thing. Refer to the website's help page on transferring badges for details.

• Argent pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We’ve been reading the Alcatraz books with my 10 year old daughter and she loves them, and Brandon has quickly become her favorite Author. She has seen all the books and things that we have had him sign back when it was easier to get his signature, and she has heard our stories, and now she’s dying for the chance to meet him herself. I know it’s a long shot, but if anyone is looking to unload a couple of badges for this year’s con, please DM me! Thanks in advance! 

I heard that Dragonsteel emailed people, informing them that they'll open up more badges, but I didn't get that email so I don't know what it actually says. The least you can do is check the website periodically, in case someone random returns a badge.

On 10/2/2022 at 0:43 AM, Argent said:

I heard that Dragonsteel emailed people, informing them that they'll open up more badges, but I didn't get that email so I don't know what it actually says. The least you can do is check the website periodically, in case someone random returns a badge.

Hooray! We're set! Very thankful for more badges opening up.

16 hours ago, dannnnnnex said:

is the Shard going to have any official presence? like a booth or table or whatever?

We have a both but we haven't decided what, if anything, we'll do on that booth. Might just hang out with people.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a general meet up for the con? I'm heading there this year and wouldn't mind meeting some new Sanderson fans.

Also I haven't read any of the released preview chapters, I should I do think before the convention so I don't accidentally get spoiled walking around and accidentally over hearing someone talking...

Hey everyone! I'm going to the con with my cousin, and there were two ticketed events we wanted to go to. I managed to snatch up the tickets I needed, but he missed the chance to grab them before they sold out. The events in question are the Cosmere Craft Free session, and the Barbie Shardplate. If anyone has a ticket to one or both of these that they won't be needing for one reason or another, please either DM me on here. Thank you!

I have an extra general admission badge if someone wants that. The last minute badges are $60 but I will sell you my extra badge for exactly $55. I assume everyone who wants to go already has tickets, but if not and you want a slightly cheaper option, DM me. And in case in changes anything, the badge number is #2999 or #3000, (I have both, and only need one) so that's fun. :D 

On 11/7/2022 at 4:41 PM, karaokeang said:

I ended up getting a friend a badge when more opened up. 

We fly in on Sunday in the early afternoon.  Anyone want to meet up for dinner Sunday night? 

Hey there, I think people in the Discord server were planning a meetup that you could join. I personally won't be able to make it but check or ask in the events-and-streams channel of the discord https://discord.gg/17thshard

3 hours ago, Shining Silhouette said:

Hey @Argent, @Kaymyth, @Windrunner, @WeiryWriter, I loved seeing you all at the Shardcast recording! Thanks for all you do for the community and this site and helping everyone figure out the incredible puzzle that is the cosmere! It was a highlight of my day.

Thank you so much! We had a blast doing it!

On 11/15/2022 at 4:59 PM, Shining Silhouette said:

Hey @Argent, @Kaymyth, @Windrunner, @WeiryWriter, I loved seeing you all at the Shardcast recording! Thanks for all you do for the community and this site and helping everyone figure out the incredible puzzle that is the cosmere! It was a highlight of my day.

It was fun! Though I definitely wish we had more time to prepare - and sleep :P

I had a fun time at the con. It was great being able to argue about theories with everybody in-person, instead of doing it over the internet. Although it was a little frustrating to have to keep track of who had read TLM previews, who had read the SA5 prologue, who had read Secret Project sample chapters, etc. (If any of you were in the Radisson bar on Sunday night, I was the spoiler police who was keeping a very well-read and very inebriated fellow fan from blurting out everything that popped into his head.)

Also a highlight was the long Monday night for those of us who were not going to sleep until we'd finished the book. (Although I did have to crash for a few hours at 3:00 AM, I managed to get up early and still finish it before the con started on Tuesday.) Shoutout to the other night owls who ruined their sleep schedules to get answers.

Airport con was fun, too. Everyone was wearing their con shirt for their flights home, so we were all just walking up to each other and talking about the book. I had, like, a dozen other fans on my flight.

I picked up a few WoBs:

• Spoiler Q&A: I was one of the lucky ones who got my name selected, and I have my transcription up on Arcanum already. It's a question about internal/external and pushing/pulling Surges, and the answer is unfortunately a little less concrete than I had hoped. There is a pattern there, but it might be more like Hybrid Feruchemy, where the pattern breaks down as Brandon needs to make all corners of the magic system actually useful.
  • Brotherwise panel: There were four of the miniatures that are candidates to get turned into painted figurines: Shardplate Kaladin, Syl, Navani, and Leshwi. Brotherwise plans to make two of those four into figurines, and they polled the crowd as to which two they wanted the most. The crowd began to chant "All Four!"
  • Kickstarter panel: The Words of Radiance Kickstarter will have Radiant Order-themed swag, in the same vein as the WoK Kickstarter.
  • I also got to chat with Johnny from Brotherwise in the game room. The next Cosmere board game they are working on is not a Stormlight game. Hmmm...
  • Karen has "KAFO" cards, now, which she will give you when she looks up something for you in the wiki. I took a few WoBs where Brandon said "I'll have to have Karen look that up later," but had never been followed up on. The one I got an answer for at the time was: the basic form that parshmen awakened to after the Everstorm (which is not workform) doesn't have a canonical name yet, and is referred to in the wiki as the "awakened parshman basic form." There are a few more that would have taken a little longer to get answers for, which I'm going to email to her later.

I don't expect I'll be at next year's con, but I'm planning to go to Stormlight Five's in 2024. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

What a convention! I thoroughly enjoyed meeting folks form the Shard, both with names I recognize and those I didn't. 

I was also among the lucky ones able to ask a question at the spoiler Q&A. I asked Brandon if the Sleepless had a single planet of origin, and if so, had we seen that planet? His response to the first half was yes, and the second half was no. 

Shoutouts to @AonEne, @JesterLavorre, and @Borio Singaldi/Firerust for being perhaps the best convention buddies I've ever had. 

Also, huge thanks to @Argent and @WeiryWriter for being chill to talk to, and perhaps help settle a years old debate between Firerust and I regarding whether or not I sound like Weiry. Y'all are cool. 

21 hours ago, Pagerunner said:
  • Karen has "KAFO" cards, now, which she will give you when she looks up something for you in the wiki. I took a few WoBs where Brandon said "I'll have to have Karen look that up later," but had never been followed up on. The one I got an answer for at the time was: the basic form that parshmen awakened to after the Everstorm (which is not workform) doesn't have a canonical name yet, and is referred to in the wiki as the "awakened parshman basic form." There are a few more that would have taken a little longer to get answers for, which I'm going to email to her later.

Maybe we should maintain a list of KAFO questions somewhere...

19 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Also, huge thanks to @Argent and @WeiryWriter for being chill to talk to, and perhaps help settle a years old debate between Firerust and I regarding whether or not I sound like Weiry. Y'all are cool. 

I have no memory of this, but I am sure I was both eloquent and gracious