Entertainment Reviews(and Debate)

13 minutes ago, Captains Domon said:

Hello! Today, I will do a deluxe list of Star Wars. First off, all the films are good in some way. Just some are more weird than others.

8. Attack of the Clones

A lot of fans think that The Phantom Menace is the worst one, but this is not true. The second episode just is terrible. The script is very poorly written, acting feels forced, and Hayden Christensen........GAG. Also, I think less Jar Jar is worse. At least in the first one, you can ignore him. Gosh. But in retrospect, I do like the final battle on Geonosis. The clones are definitely the best part about this movie.

7. The Phantom Menace

Okay, yes, this is the next one. But I enjoy this one more than Attack of the Clones. Jar Jar is still horrible to endure, but as I said, you can ignore him. But Jake Lloyd's acting just makes me cringe the whole time. He's so annoying. I didn't appreciate the C-3PO thing either. He's great as comic relief, but as a cameo, no. The best part of this movie is, hands down, the Duel of the Fates. The lightsaber duels are amazing, and the music is equally intense. It's awesome.

6. A New Hope

Please don't kill me. Yes, there's probably a fair amount of people that love this one. I do too. It's just that on my "Enjoy-o-meter", it doesn't click as much as the other ones do. Yes, I love the nostalgic feel. Yes, I love the humor. Yes, I love the action. It's just....gah, I can't explain. Hopefully you guys understand. It's still a great movie.

5. The Force Awakens

Okay, the new episode is very enjoyable. But my main problem is that it feels like a remake of A New Hope. It feels like we've seen this before, and I don't want it to be that. But I love the acting. Harrison Ford is awesome as ever. Anthony Daniels is hilarious. Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Domhnall Gleeson. They're fantastic. And Daisy Ridley. Whoo. I am not ashamed to admit that she's probably my celebrity crush, besides Jenna Coleman. But the acting is the main reason I love this movie.

4. Return of the Jedi

From this point on, it was very difficult to place the remaining films. These next ones are all stupendously amazing and I felt bad wherever I placed them. But alas, it must be done. The final installment of the original trilogy delivers everything we hope for. Luke facing his destiny, Leia in a bikini, Han getting rescued, Lando flying the Millennium Falcon into battle, and Darth Vader restoring balance. This movie definitely triggers my tears of joy.

3. Rogue One

I was very eager to watch this film, as it would return to the era of the original trilogy. I love the way they introduce characters, and use them in a way where they don't require that much character development. It is very well done. After I watched it, I had two disappointments. First, there is some much footage in the trailers that are not in the movie. It feels like there was a different cut or something. Second was CGI Leia. That unnerved me. CGI Tarkin was awesome. I love Tarkin. But, CGI Leia looked and felt and sounded fake. Nevertheless, it's a great movie.

2. Revenge of the Sith

This obviously is the best film of the prequel trilogy. I love everything about this one, except some of the script. I think Hayden Christensen's acting improved immensely in this one. He accurately portrays a young man torn about what he should believe in. Ewan McGregor is awesome, as always. Other than the script, this is great.

1. The Empire Strikes Back

Okay, a lot of you probably saw this coming, but this movie is literally flawless in my opinion. Anyone is welcome to challenge me on that, but I stand firm. I just really believe that this is an outstanding movie.

So there it is. I just hope The Last Jedi and the Han Solo movie will be as great as they look.

Gotta argue a point here- I love obiwan in the clone war. I love it so much, he's actually cool. Pod racing in number one is also a cool moment. 

Then the Force awakens. I feel like it got positive reviews at first, and then just negativity. I enjoyed it a lot, even with the whole star killer base thing. Great moments: freaking force holding that blaster bolt. That blew my mind. The cinematography with the Xwings was so beautiful, JJ Abrams at his best right there. He knows how to show off a star ship. And they actually killed off an important and beloved character! I have immense hopes that by starting carefully, with number 8 they'll be able to do something more unique. 

Also, i do love Yoda in the prequels, because he's freaking awesome. 

Anyway, I agree in overall rankings, but there are just some great freaking moments in some of the worst films. And weird moments in the best ones (Skywalker incest, anyone?)

An Idiot's Summary of Spider-Man

Petey Purker be a high schoolie dropout, or a scholar guy, or somethink like dat. Anyway, nobody be liking him, cept his gwamma, and he being depressive and saddie and, uh heh heh doy, stuff. Den he get bitten by duh spi-ider and he be getting high instead of dying. Den he becoming famous, and he be letting, duh, bad mann go, uh, and baddie mann be killing Benny. Den Petey getty really maddie and find out it be baddie mann he let go. Then he really sad, cuz he let go the baddie. So den he becomes inspirationlly and things, cuz he says it be thing dat make him do better. Me rambling, now me gonna watch Tobey Maguire be baby again. Uuuughghghhghghh, the end.

Okay, I haven't done anything in a while, and there's a reason for that. Simply too busy. But rest assured, I do plan some reviews in the future, particularly some Sanderson ones, but also, this is for everyone, not just me. I feel like this topic is a blog, because I'm the only one posting and everyone else is reacting to me. You can review anything entertainment related, as long as it's appropriate. Please, go for it.

On 10/12/2017 at 3:27 PM, Toaster Retribution said:

I hold Force Awakens as the best Star Wars, but I'm fond of Rogue One too. I think that Kylo Ren is a homerun character wise. The uniqueness of that character is grand. He is complex, he looks like a badass, but he is kind of weak. Much more fascinating than Vader, in my opinion.

Blasphemy! It's most definitely the prettiest Star Wars, but the scripts to 4&5 put it to shame. 

3 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Blasphemy! It's most definitely the prettiest Star Wars, but the scripts to 4&5 put it to shame. 

I'll keep on my blasphemous behavior. As I said, Kylo Ren alone makes the story of TFA more interesting than 4&5. I also find Rey more enjoyable than Luke, and I like Poe and Finn too (they can't beat Han though). And then, it is pretty too. 

3 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Number 5 is definitely the best story-wise, but 4? Nah. Have you read the novelization for A New Hope? It's terrible.

17 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I'll keep on my blasphemous behavior. As I said, Kylo Ren alone makes the story of TFA more interesting than 4&5. I also find Rey more enjoyable than Luke, and I like Poe and Finn too (they can't beat Han though). And then, it is pretty too. 

Kylo Ren definitely spices things up, but I still don't like the fact it mirrors A New Hope. And yes, Rey is more enjoyable than Luke. (That is, until Return of the Jedi)

4 minutes ago, Captains Domon said:

Kylo Ren definitely spices things up, but I still don't like the fact it mirrors A New Hope. And yes, Rey is more enjoyable than Luke. (That is, until Return of the Jedi)

I agree, the mirroring is the worst part of TFA by a long shot. Also, RotJ Luke is still pretty boring, in my opinion. He has always felt bland to me. Looks like Last Jedi is gonna change that though. Disney buying Star Wars was probably the best thing that could have happened.

The Top 10 Novels of All Time(Deluxe List) Note: Some of these are of my own opinion, but some others are generally considered some of the best ever.

10. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

I love this book. It has great characters, and a wonderful story. I like the movie too, because it's follows the book very close. Ponyboy's struggle to find himself is a poignant demonstration of life, and can be relatable with many.

9. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

Jules Verne has a lot of great adventure books, but unfortunately, I had to limit myself to one. This is probably the definitive Verne novel. It has influenced so many movies, as well as other novels. It is a great achievement.

8. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

This book had to appear on my list. Anyone who has read this should immediately understand why it's here. If you haven't read, what have you been doing?

7. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

If you've ever read a Narnia book, it's probably this one. Its film adaptation is the best one of the Narnia movies, and it is referenced by a ton of TV shows. Another great thing to see is the parallel of Christ's life in here. If you aren't Christian, it doesn't matter. The book is great nonetheless. It is also a representation of Lewis' transition from atheism to Christianity.

6. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

This is probably the only novel on the list that I haven't read fully. But it's pretty good(as well as boring).

5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

It's amusing to note that this one is more famous than Tom Sawyer. It's more famous for its racist slurs, but I like this novel for its honesty. I have a similar appreciation for Mark Twain. He's one of my favorite authors, and he's hilarious.

4. The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

Of course Tolkien made it on my list. Why wouldn't he? The Lord of the Rings is a fantastic fantasy epic, both as books and movies. Frodo's journey is difficult, but the ending is worth the wait. But the final installment makes the list, for its triumphant tone and diction, and for the determination of its characters.

3. Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

Okay, so this is technically a novella, but its message is far deeper. This proves not all morals need 900 pages to deliver it. Bach succeeds in making us think, even from the start. I felt exhilaration as read this book. I felt free. I highly recommend this to anyone who is ready to think.

2. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Maybe some of you saw this coming, but like Jonathan Livingston Seagull, this novel offers views on many controversies, as well looking into emotions of different types of people, and what their motives are. The Prince is the greatest example of innocence, but has a knowledge of the world at the same time. It is very touching.

1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Okay, a lot of you guys probably saw this coming, but this book is one of the greatest. Not because of the morals, but I like it because of its story.

Honorable Mentions: 1984, Animal Farm, A Wizard of Earthsea, The Old Man and the Sea, Rolling Thunder Hear My Cry, My Brother Sam is Dead

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody! I've been out of the loop for a while, but now I'm back! Whoo-hoo. I am currently reading Oathbringer, and holy crap, it's amazing, but I have a review that I should have done a week ago.

Thor: Ragnarok. (WARNING: FULL SPOILERS)

One thing I really appreciate about the third installment of the Thor trilogy is the way Taika Waititi gives everything that us fans wanted in a Thor movie. This film is a bundle of laughs, and that's great. Some people have been complaining that it's a lot like other Marvel movies, but no. It's not. It is merely packed full with references. Remember the giant frost monster in the first Thor? Well, in this one, there's a giant fire monster. The plot is straightforward, which is awesome. The characters are intriguing, and the settings and the color are visually stunning.

Thor in this film is a lot like Thor in the first one. Not in the prideful, stuck-up way, but the way he's just completely lost about what to do on Earth. (For some reason, the part where he fiddles around with the earbuds cracks me up) In this one, he is again lost, but this time, he doesn't have his hammer, and he doesn't have allies. I really love how they expand upon his relationship with Loki in this one. They've touched on it in the previous films, but this time, they really go for it, which I love. I feel that Loki is finally becoming the hero we want him to be. (Though, in Infinity War, he's probably going to ally with Thanos, then betray him in the final moments of the final battle of Avengers 4, and die a warrior's death.)

Hulk was awesome. Marvel has really neglected the Hulk in the past. I personally love the solo movie(which is part of the MCU), but Marvel has largely ignored it. Hulk's parts in the Avengers' movies are just roaring and smashing(in the sequel, they add in Black Widow for some reason), so we finally get the Hulk we wanted in this film. He's way more verbal in this one than in previous ones, and I love that. He seems more like an eight-year-old than an actual warrior.

(As a side note........OF COURSE LOKI TOOK THE TESSERACT!!! Why do you think they would go through the trouble of adding a shot of him eyeing it?)

My favorite character was Skurge the Executioner. I felt they really humanized him in this one, which was a stroke of genius. Karl Urban is an awesome actor, and he plays Skurge spot on. In the film, he's very conflicted about killing people for Hela, but he wants to survive. In the end, he decides to redeem himself, going out in a Texas blaze of glory.

Probably the only thing that I was disappointed about was the Warriors Three. They all die when Hela invades Asgard. That's okay with me, but Volstagg and Fandral were cut down without even fighting. It was both sad and underwhelming. Hogun's death is amazing. Hogun was the last one to die and I know the exact reason. In Thor: The Dark World, they fight a rebellion in Vanaheim, and then leave Hogun there. He is largely ignored in the Thor films as whole, and that's a little annoying. So I guess Taika wanted him to go out with a bang, which was awesome. And where's Lady Sif??? Guess we'll find out.

I'll be releasing a second part of the Thor: Ragnarok review soon, because it's far too long with everything I want to talk about. So see ya later.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I lied. There's probably not going to be another part for Thor: Ragnarok. But I will be doing one for Oathbringer soon. ( @Chaos How do I mark it for spoilers?)

But right now I'm reviewing a movie called Lion. I watched this last night, and it looked really interesting. It was. Lion is a beautiful movie, and I recommend it to everyone. Full spoilers ahead.

Lion is about an Indian-Australian boy named Saroo Brierley, who is separated from his family and ends up 1600 kilometers away from his village. In this time, he is only five years old. Saroo braves the large city of Calcutta on his own, searching. The child actor is amazing. He really gives a feeling of loneliness and determination to the audience, and we sympathize with him as the film goes on. The cinematography is spectacular in this film, simple and poignant. Saroo is adopted by an Australian family and moves there. The movie then jumps 20 years, focusing on the adult Saroo as he begins to search for his family, using Google Earth.

The level of emotion the film projects is surprising, setting it apart from the cliche and the typical "lost then found" movie. I seriously don't want to talk about it more than that, because it's a film worth watching. It's great and has a good message.

Go watch it.

32 minutes ago, Captains Domon said:

Okay, I lied. There's probably not going to be another part for Thor: Ragnarok. But I will be doing one for Oathbringer soon. ( @Chaos How do I mark it for spoilers?)

But right now I'm reviewing a movie called Lion. I watched this last night, and it looked really interesting. It was. Lion is a beautiful movie, and I recommend it to everyone. Full spoilers ahead.

Lion is about an Indian-Australian boy named Saroo Brierley, who is separated from his family and ends up 1600 kilometers away from his village. In this time, he is only five years old. Saroo braves the large city of Calcutta on his own, searching. The child actor is amazing. He really gives a feeling of loneliness and determination to the audience, and we sympathize with him as the film goes on. The cinematography is spectacular in this film, simple and poignant. Saroo is adopted by an Australian family and moves there. The movie then jumps 20 years, focusing on the adult Saroo as he begins to search for his family, using Google Earth.

The level of emotion the film projects is surprising, setting it apart from the cliche and the typical "lost then found" movie. I seriously don't want to talk about it more than that, because it's a film worth watching. It's great and has a good message.

Go watch it.

You won't be putting Oathbringer spoilers here. You'll be putting it in the OB spoiler board, with the relevant tag. See the spoiler policy on the top of every page for more details.

• 2 weeks later...

Another deluxe list! Whoo-hoo and Merry Christmas. Today, I'm doing Rocky. Why? Well, because I really enjoy Rocky's character arc as a whole and all the movies have satisfying conclusions(except one of them). Let's go!

7. Rocky V

If you've seen the Rocky films, it should come as no surprise that the fifth entry comes out at the bottom. I can see what Sylvester Stallone was trying to envision with Rocky V, but it doesn't work. Rocky inexplicably overcomes brain damage to fight his former protege, and somehow loses his entire fortune in a completely implausible way. (It was Paulie's fault, but what else is new?) The film's only redeeming quality is the development between Rocky and his son, Robert, which is pretty well done.

6. Rocky IV

A lot of people put this film at the top of the list, but I don't see why. Several important things happen in this film (*cough* Apollo Creed dies *cough*) but it is longer than it should be. There are too many montages in this film, and that is unforgivable. Two of them are completely pointless. Rocky IV also spits in the face of politics at the time. There is no way a Soviet crowd would be cheering for Rocky by the end of the fight, even if he was kicking Drago's trash.

5. Rocky III

Rocky III is on the edge for me. It has a great song (Eye of the Tiger by Survivor), a great antagonist (played to perfection by Mr. T), and finally fully develops the character of Apollo Creed. It's not a bad film whatsoever, it's just that the tone of this one feels.....off. It shouldn't, but it does. There's a sense of campiness in here that makes me feel weird whenever I watch it, but it's still a great movie.

4. Rocky

I feel bad for putting the first one this low. Most people would probably have it in the top three, but in terms of enjoyment, there are some that deliver more. Rocky is a classic, and should be the one Rocky film you see, if any. It has a terrific story, great themes, and introduced one of the best theme songs of the century.

3. Rocky II

Yes, I believe the sequel is better than the original. Rocky II takes what we loved about the first, and builds upon it. And no, it is not a second chance of a second chance. Rocky is forced to fight. I also believe this one has the best boxing sequence, with Rocky and Apollo. It is actually very suspenseful. While Rocky tells us to press on and go the distance, Rocky II tells us to stand fast and fight back. And that's what I love about this film.

2. Creed

While it focuses on Adonis Creed, it continues the story of Rocky without diverging from Adonis. Adonis' journey to move up in the world is much different from Rocky's, and it works. I love the way it connects and references all the other Rocky films, and makes them seem better. (Especially Rocky V and Rocky IV) Even though it is similar to the message that Rocky delivers, Creed also tells us to make our own legacy.

1. Rocky Balboa

This is my favorite one. After the campy tones of the last three films and the disappointing conclusion of Rocky V, Sylvester Stallone brought us back to the tones of the first two. We see an older Rocky, trying to hide as the past and the present converge on him. Adding in the death of Adrian was a stroke of genius, adding a depth not yet seen until now in a Rocky film. It also tries to avoid references to Rocky III-V, preferring the first two. However, it continues to develop his relationship with Robert, and does so spectacularly. It has the best ending of a Rocky film as well. Rocky Balboa is Stallone's masterpiece.

The top ten best actors ever.

10. Matt Damon

Matt Damon is most famous for being Jason Bourne, and starring in The Martian. But he brings an intensity to the roles that he plays unlike most actors I’ve seen. Plus, he’s a great guy and I think he’s hilarious. Best Film: The Bourne Ultimatum

9. John Wayne

The man’s a legend. John Wayne is the cowboy. The characters that he portrays are sometimes similar to one another, but Wayne gives them a quirk that ultimately sets them apart from each other. If you have ever seen a Western, you need to see John Wayne. Best Film: The Shootist

8. Christian Bale

I’ve chosen Christian Bale for this list, because of the way he prepares himself for the roles that he takes on. His take on Batman is very different from any we have seen, and his performance in The Fighter was spectacular. Best Film: The Fighter

7. James Stewart

James Stewart holds a special place in my heart, and most of everyone who has watched him in any film, be it It’s a Wonderful Life or Vertigo. His calm demeanor and down-to-earth acting sets him apart from others. Best Film: Rear Window

6. Harrison Ford

I have Harrison Ford on here just because of pure opinion. He has many iconic characters he has played over the years, and is instantly recognizable. He is much like John Wayne in the perspective of popularity. Best Film: Blade Runner 2049

5. Heath Ledger

Heath Ledger was a candle that burned short, but glowed brightly. Every film role he takes is different from the last. That was a goal that Ledger had. He exited the stage with the best performance in film history. Best Film: The Dark Knight

4. Tommy Wiseau

No, I am not kidding. Tommy Wiseau is notorious. But he has developed an art form. View his acting however you like, but he conveys a message through his acting. Do what you love no matter what. He is extremely dedicated, and genuinely awesome. Best Film: The Room (duh)

3. Ian McKellen

Ian McKellen is most famous for Gandalf and Magneto, but I think his villain roles are magnificent. (Hence Magneto.) His voice is very recognizable, his Shakespearean method of acting is amazing, and he is well loved in pop culture. Best Film: Mr. Holmes

2. Orson Welles

Orson Welles is the god of acting. His form is a level that few others have achieved. He has inspired many other actors, including the indubitable Tommy Wiseau. Welles also was considered for the voice of Darth Vader. Best Film: Citizen Kane

1. Hugh Jackman

Yes, Orson Welles is a terrific actor. Yes, there are many others that could be here. But this is my own opinion, and I firmly believe that Hugh Jackman is one of the best actors of all time, and he tops my list. I think he reached the form I mentioned, and he recently went past that in Logan. Hugh Jackman is legend. Best Film: Logan

• 2 months later...

I'm back. And in celebration, I will be doing another deluxe list. But it's a little different, because I will be posting a review of each movie, once a week so we will start at Number 10 of the best animated films of all time.

10. Shrek

Okay, so I confess, the only reason Shrek is on this list is because I think it's hilarious. And it wasn't easy either. I almost put Shrek 2 on here instead, but I ultimately went with the first one, because it's the original. I like Shrek because it dared to be different. It's appropriate enough for kids, but not inappropriate enough that kids will understand. The jokes are hilarious, and until I watched it again, I had no idea that The Pina Colada Song was in it. The pop culture references in this are definitely the best thing about this film. After that, I don't have much else to say. So, see you guys later.

I saw the movie Samson tonight. It was pretty good even if it felt a little long. I never thought that H.P Lovecraft would help me to understand the Bible though. In the movie they mentioned several times the Philistene God Dagon. I know all about the Dagon from Lovecraft's story's:

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/d.aspx

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/soi.aspx

Edited by Ammanas

• 2 weeks later...

The Oscars are coming! And I'm here to predict wins, and also performances that should have been recognized.

Best Picture:

The Shape of Water is most likely going to win, but why? Just because it has the most nominations doesn't mean it will win. Honestly, Get Out should.

Should have been recognized for Best Picture: The Florida Project, Wind River, and The Big Sick

Best Director:

Guillermo del Toro has a very good chance of winning this. But seriously, OSCARS GET IT TOGETHER!!!! CHRISTOPHER NOLAN HAS BEEN MAKING INCREDIBLE MOVIES EVER SINCE 1998, AND YOU FINALLY GET A CLUE AND NOMINATE HIM FOR DIRECTING!!!! FINALLY!!! IF HE DOESN'T WIN, I WILL SET FIRE TO THE HOLLYWOOD SIGN!!!

Should've been recognized: The Safdi Brothers for Good Time, Denis Villenueve for Blade Runner 2049, Joe Wright for Darkest Hour and James Mangold for Logan.

Best Actor:

It's going to Gary Oldman. There is no contest.

Should've been recognized: James McAvoy for Split, Mark Hamill for The Last Jedi, Bill Skarsgard for It, Hugh Jackman for Logan, and Andy Serkis for War for the Planet of the Apes.

Best Actress:

This one's a little tricky. A lot of the performances are really good. I have it between Sally Hawkins, Frances McDormand, and Saoirse Ronan. (If Meryl Streep wins, I'm gonna throw something. Honestly, she gets nominated all the time, and that's getting old. She's not a bad actress, but not all of those performances are Oscar-worthy.)

Should've been recognized: Gal Gadot for Wonder Woman, Aubrey Plaza for Ingrid Goes West and Jessica Chastain for Molly's Game.

Best Supporting Actor:

It is most likely Sam Rockwell, and I'm not complaining. He deserves it. But Willem Dafoe was amazing in The Florida Project. Christopher Plummer is also a contender.

Should've been recognized: Patrick Stewart for Logan, Jacob Batalon for Spider-Man: Homecoming, Taika Waititi for Thor: Ragnarok, Cillian Murphy for Dunkirk and Bob Odenkirk for The Post.

Best Supporting Actress:

Like Best Actress, this one is close to call, but my money is on Laurie Metcalf for Lady Bird.

Should've been recognized: Allison Williams for Get Out, Holly Hunter for The Big Sick, and Michelle Pfeiffer for mother!

Best Original Screenplay:

It is between The Big Sick and Get Out. That is unless the Oscars decides to give it to The Shape of Water.

Should've been recognized: Wind River, Logan Lucky, Blade Runner 2049, and Dunkirk

Best Adapted Screenplay:

It might be Molly's Game or The Disaster Artist. But my mind is just yelling, "LOGAN! LOGAN! LOGAN! LOGAN MUST WIN, LOGAN MUST WIN, LOGAN, LOGAN LOGAN!!!!!!!"

I don't really pay attention to screenplays so I don't know who should've been recognized.

Best Animated Feature Film:

Why in the heck was The Boss Baby nominated?? Oscars, if you're going to go that route, you might as well nominate The Emoji Movie too. I can tolerate Ferdinand, but The Boss Baby???? No. Loving Vincent needs to win but the Oscars really likes Pixar, so it will probably be Coco.

Should've been nominated: The LEGO Batman Movie, Mary and the Witch's Flower, and A Silent Voice.

PART TWO TOMORROW.

PART TWO!

I'm going to skip Best Foreign Language Film, Short Films, and such. I will be focusing on the Oscars for production today.

Best Original Score:

It's always fun to see John Williams nominated, but the Oscar this year should really go to Hans Zimmer for Dunkirk. I LOVE THIS SCORE. It's so riveting.

Should've been recognized: Dario Marianelli for Darkest Hour, West Dylan Thordson for Split, Mark Mothersbaugh for Thor: Ragnarok, Kensuke Ushio for A Silent Voice, and Clint Mansell for Ghost in the Shell.

Best Original Song:

I really adore the soundtrack for The Greatest Showman, however, "Remember Me" from Coco was by far more emotionally satisfying.

Other than that, I don't really pay attention to original songs.

Best Sound Editing:

I think it's a tight race for this one. I have it between Baby Driver and Dunkirk. Close behind is The Last Jedi.

Should've been recognized: John Wick: Chapter 2, Logan, and Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Best Sound Mixing:

Honestly, I think The Last Jedi has a good shot for this one, but Dunkirk and Baby Driver won't be forgotten.

Should've been recognized: John Wick: Chapter 2, The Lost City of Z, Good Time, and Alien: Covenant.

Best Production Design:

The Shape of Water will definitely win this one.

Should've been recognized: The Last Jedi, Ingrid Goes West, and Brawl in Cell Block 99.

Best Cinematography:

Dunkirk has amazing cinematography, but I'd like to take this time to talk about someone. This is Roger Deakins.

Roger Deakins Feb-2011 02 (cropped).jpg He has been nominated fourteen times for Best Cinematography. For films including The Shawshank Redemption, True Grit, Skyfall, Prisoners, Sicario, and this year, Blade Runner 2049. OSCARS!!! WHAT THE #@*&$!!!!! THIS MAN HAS SHOT SOME OF THE GREATEST FILMS OF OUR TIME, AND CONTINUES TO DO SO! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR MINDS??! THIS YEAR, YOU FINALLY RECOGNIZE CHRISTOPHER NOLAN, POUND SOME SENSE INTO YOUR HEAD BY NOMINATING GET OUT, BUT THEN NOMINATE #*$&#@-ING MERYL STREEP AGAIN, AND THE BOSS BABY!!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? SO PLEASE, PLEASE, DO SOMETHING RIGHT FOR ONCE, AND GIVE ROGER DEAKINS THE OSCAR HE DESERVES!!!! *Sigh* Alright, I'm done.

Should've been recognized: Mike Gioulakis for Split, John Mathieson for Logan, and Chung-hoon Chung for It.

Best Makeup and Hairstyling:

Darkest Hour is going to win this one too. No contest. (Sorry, Wonder.)

Who gives a crap about makeup?

Best Costume Design:

I think Phantom Thread will win this one, but Beauty and the Beast may sneak up.

Should've been recognized: The Last Jedi, Thor: Ragnarok, Dunkirk, and Wonder Woman.

Best Film Editing:

Baby Driver deserves this one. But Dunkirk and The Shape of Water could beat it out.

Should've been recognized: The Last Jedi, The Disaster Artist, and All the Money in the World.

and last, but not least....

Best Visual Effects:

Here's another thing the Oscars have done. In 2011, we saw the beginning of one of the most incredible film trilogies in history, beginning with Rise of the Planet of the Apes. This film was nominated, but lost to Hugo which is about a boy hanging from a clock! Yes, Hugo is a good movie, and Martin Scorsese is a great director, but OSCARS! HUGO OVER RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES??? NO!! Then in 2014, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was released. Accordingly, you nominated it, but it lost again. To Interstellar. Now I won't complain too much about that, but still. C'mon Oscars. Now this year, War for the Planet of the Apes is released, and has been one of the most emotional experiences I have ever watched. So, OSCARS, YOU BETTER GET YOUR &$%# TOGETHER AND GIVE THIS TRILOGY THE OSCAR IT MOST DEFINITELY DESERVES!!!!!

Should've been recognized: Thor: Ragnarok, It, Dunkirk, and Ghost in the Shell.

I almost forgot about the deluxe list I started about animated films, but luckily, I didn't!

9. The Secret of NIMH

I love this film. I grew up with it. It is a beautiful film, animated with dark and vibrant colors. If you have not watched this film, then what are you doing? This is a cult classic! The reason I love this film so much is because it feels like a breath of fresh air. It's not Disney. To see something that was not Disney come out and be this good was awesome. It is definitely a film I will show my children.

@Captains Domon - how funny that your avatar is Captain Jack Sparrow, yet Johnny Depp isn't on your list of the 10 best actors. :) Not saying he should be, just interesting to observe.

It's also interesting to think about how the criteria for what makes an actor/actress "good" has evolved through the decades, and think how it might change in the future as well. Many actors have had success at the box office but not been acclaimed for "quality" - Errol Flynn, for one.

If I were to make a list of 10 male actors who've seemed "best" to me over the years, it would probably include (in no particular order): Alec Guiness (some of his early stuff in old B/W movies is great!), Benedict Cumberbatch (so versatile), Al Pacino (also surprisingly versatile), Anthony Hopkins, Denzel Washington, Ben Kingsley, Harrison Ford (of course), Joseph Fiennes, Oscar Isaacs, and Patrick Stewart. I've probebly missed some obvious ones - this is just off the top of my head.

Thanks! This has been a fun exercise on Oscar night! :D