Poland - Warsaw and Krakow events 18/21 March

Extesian

Some very interesting stuff so far. I think I can guess at the end of Stormlight and end of Cosmere, only because there are some fairly common theories that would lend themselves well to your unredacted phrasing, @Oversleep, but I'll refrain from going into detail. I'd actually recommend reducing it even further; there's still a lot that we can glean from what you have up. (I'd actually recommend not posting anything at all when you get something off the record like this; I've got a piece of info like that [but nowhere near as important], and up to this point, I haven't even mentioned I know it, much less given any hints as to what it's about.) Not that I don't appreciate learning this fact; don't take this the wrong way, it cements my opinion of how everything will end. But I think if you want to respect Brandon's request, you should go a little bit farther in not sharing anything about it, no matter how exciting it may be. Cat might be out of the bag for now, but I'll encourage you to stay firm in handing out your own RAFOs to people and not passing out any more cryptic hints, no matter how much fun they may be. (Myself excluded, of course. Feel free to PM me everything!)

On to the rest:

• Rhythms off of Roshar is a very interesting concept. I don't think it will map to bronze pulses, since those come from Kinetic Investiture, and I don't see any of that with the Listener Rhythms. (Even if the Rhythms were connected with powerful spren, we just learned you can't sense a Shardblade, which is a spren.) This makes me think that the Rhythms are from the Spiritual Realm, the pure embodiment of certain emotions. (Platonic ideals, not manifestations of ideas like spren are.) On Roshar, they manifest as Rhythms, but they'll be part of the metaphysical underpinings of Realmatics all across the cosmere. When you feel an emotion, you interact with a Spiritual 'Rhythm' analogue. (And when you interact strongly enough with one, it can Snap you on Scadrial.)
  • Vivenna being on Roshar is good to know, but I personally feel a little spoiled. This probably should have been a RAFO; I don't think we get anything out of knowing it now, with Oathbringer well on its way. But, hey, I probably shouldn't complain about new info.
  • I know this isn't the first time Brandon has said slatrification doesn't really fit with cosmere magic, but it's really interesting to see that he might completely rewrite White Sand and do some drastic changes, like pulling slatrification out. Honestly, I'd like to see a revised White Sand released in print; I haven't been thrilled with the comics. So, it's encouraging to see Brandon float the possibility. (Other possibilities he's floated like this were leatherbound collector's editions and a cosmere short story collection, both of which came to fruition pretty quickly. I think there's a good chance of seeing White Sand Revised at some point in the future.)
  • Who are our inter-planetary kids? Iyatil, perhaps? Or maybe this is referring to one of the great cosmere migrations (like maybe the Iri have Innate Investiture from outside of Roshar, and Adolin and Renarin could be of mixed Investiture)?
  • Jasnah not being cosmere aware helps set some of her arguments in their proper context. She doesn't know of Shards, she doesn't know of the true history of Roshar (since Adonalsium created it). There are a lot of things she's said that I find suspect, and this provides some confirmation.
  • Yolish Gods not being Shards makes sense. I'm gonna have to reread the Liar chapters... we're getting a lot of indications that the events therein are still canon and important, even though the Liar duology probably won't be written.

20 hours ago, Landis963 said:

I was trying to write around the fact that Adien became an Elantrian because I didn't know how many of the Cosmere books Shal had already read.  But yes.  

it's alright, I read it about a week ago in preparation for the event :D

also, on a completely unrelated note, my friend asked a question I don't think neither @Oversleep or @Kanrei had written down as she was surprised when you asked me to repeat what Brandon had answered me (my question was the one about AonDor near the Shardpool). I get why, cause it was just for fun but still, I thought I'd share it.

Q: How many bridge runs did Kaladin make?

A: ...oh boy. Fewer than he thinks he did. *laughs* He'd say a few hundred but in fact it was several dozen.

the quote is almost 100% accurate as Brandon repeated some stuff when answering so I just cut that out

Edited by Shal

38 minutes ago, Shal said:

it's alright, I read it about a week ago in preparation for the event :D

also, on a completely unrelated note, my friend asked a question I don't think neither @Oversleep or @BlackYeti had written down as she was surprised when you asked me to repeat what Brandon had answered me (my question was the one about AonDor near the Shardpool). I get why, cause it was just for fun but still, I thought I'd share it.

Q: How many bridge runs did Kaladin make?

A: ...oh boy. Fewer than he thinks he did. *laughs* He'd say a few hundred but in fact it was several dozen.

the quote is almost 100% accurate as Brandon repeated some stuff when answering so I just cut that out

Actually I got that but I appreciate posting your questions with answers very much :)

EDIT: I think you meant @Kanrei, not @BlackYeti :) He was the one writing things down and recording, I only wrote things down.

Edited by Oversleep

17 minutes ago, Shal said:

also, on a completely unrelated note, my friend asked a question I don't think neither @Oversleep or @BlackYeti had written down as she was surprised when you asked me to repeat what Brandon had answered me (my question was the one about AonDor near the Shardpool). I get why, cause it was just for fun but still, I thought I'd share it.

I think you've got me confused with someone else: I wasn't at the event! :(

You're right that I hadn't got it written down, but only insofar as I hadn't gotten any of the questions written down. So I was rather surprised to see myself mentioned there.:lol::lol: (Unless of course, I have a doppelgänger. :unsure:)

Anyway, good job with the question; as @Oversleep said, it's very much appreciated. :)

I asked Brandon two questions,  one was already mentioned by Oversleep.

Q: Can you tell me anything about Vax?

A: Sorry, but no. 

So I got a RAFO card ^^

The other question was:

Q: Will you make more playlists on Spotify?

A: Yes, there will be playlists for next books. 

26 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

So I got a RAFO card ^^

The other question was:

Q: Will you make more playlists on Spotify?

A: Yes, there will be playlists for next books. 

That was you? I didn't recognize you without the blue hood :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

This makes me think that the Rhythms are from the Spiritual Realm

I am almost entirely certain that we know this to be the case. 

Vivenna being on Roshar is good to know, but I personally feel a little spoiled. This probably should have been a RAFO; I don't think we get anything out of knowing it now, with Oathbringer well on its way. But, hey, I probably shouldn't complain about new info.

He's been dropping hints about this for months now.

Who are our inter-planetary kids? Iyatil, perhaps? Or maybe this is referring to one of the great cosmere migrations (like maybe the Iri have Innate Investiture from outside of Roshar, and Adolin and Renarin could be of mixed Investiture)?

Pretty much any worldhopper from Scadrial, I think. 

4 minutes ago, Argent said:

He's been dropping hints about this for months now.

He's hinted we'd learn something about Vivenna soon. It could have been any number of possibilities, from a throwaway reference by Vasher to actually appearing on-screen in Stormlight or even a Nalthis short story (I'm still waiting for the missing Nalthis AU essay to appear on Brandon's website by surprise any day now). Now we know we will see her on Roshar, searching for Vasher. Just feels anti-climactic to get it all laid out in a WoB like that months before the book is out.

31 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

So I got a RAFO card ^^

Dont know if that was known before but as Brandon confused Vax with Wax from era2 Mistborn, he started answering by saying that Wax wasnt supposed to be in era2 at all and instead that series was originally focused on Wayne.

@BlackYeti yea it was me recording and writing down stuff (mostly recording :) )

@Shal Thanks for info, we are still going over notes and recordings and trying put together info so any confirmation from person who asked question is great.

On unrelated note, quite few people from Poland :)

3 minutes ago, kotwq said:

I'm likely going to be at the signing in Kraków, any questions ya'll think should be asked?

Can you ask Brandon about update on Nalthis essay missing from AU? He mentioned that its possible that he will write it and post his website but no info since then.

@kotwq, there's two things at the top of my want-to-know list:

1. There was a theory a while back about how the reason Dalinar (and previously Gavilar) receives the visions from Stormfather is because reading The Way of Kings gave them some kind of Connection with Honor. I'm curious if there's substance to that.

2. Ever since the revelation about the Voidbinding chart, I'm curious to know more about voidbinding. Top question would be: Are the stormform listeners (at the end of WoR) voidbinding? And second: Is the creation of creatures like Thunderclasts and Midnight Essence voidbinding?

Just my personal questions. :)

Edited by jofwu

9 minutes ago, kotwq said:

I'm likely going to be at the signing in Kraków, any questions ya'll think should be asked?

I am very interested in whether metalsight (i.e. the blue lines Allomancers see when they burn steel/iron) reveal Spiritual Connection. And if they don't, I am curious about how they work.

I'm grabbing a pen and writing these down right now! And by the way, to those of you who were to these events before, any unwritten rules? Like "don't ask too many questions" or "don't mention x"? I've never been to a signing before, so I'm kinda nervous :P

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by kotwq

Just now, kotwq said:

I'm grabbing a pen and writing these down right now! And by the way, to those of you who were to these events before, any unwritten rules? Like "don't ask too many questions" or "don't mention x"? I've never been to a signing before, so I'm kinda nervous :P

No rules like that.
If you reach some limit of questions Sanderson himself will say something like "its last one".
There was no limit on how many books one could bring, only on personalization (names for personification couldnt repeat, if you wanted only your name, then it could be on one choosen by you book, on rest are signatures. But you could get several books signed for with different names for friends etc as long as names didnt repeat.)
Everyone could get picture with Sanderson (your own camera or smartphone).
There was official polish translator Anna Studniarek who was translating questions for Sanderson.

I guess you are from Poland, if yes, join Brandon Sanderson Polska group on FB (if you arnt there already). There are several movies and relations from Warsaw signing so you can get to know how it was.

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

That was you? I didn't recognize you without the blue hood :ph34r:

Haha, right, I didn't have that hood on me :P I recognized you standing by the stage though. Unfortunately I was in super hurry due to the long line and didn't  even have time to say hi. Maybe on the next event :)

@Oversleep thanks for the timing update, I've updated the OP.

@kotwq I have a question (and please can others say if it's something we know already, I couldn't find counter-evidence. Does Surgebinding with Honorblades use Cultivation's investiture? (I've theorised that the system is different to Nahel surgebinding in that it's purely Honor, as it looks like the blades themselves are purely Honor's essence).

One other that may be silly - has Endowment's Vessel (Shardholder) had a child since being a Vessel. I'm sure it'll be No or RAFO but I'm curious. Alternatively have we seen or heard of a child of any Shard's Vessel. (But this is only if someone gets the extra questioning time, it's a questionable pet theory of mine).

Edited by Extesian

4 hours ago, Oversleep said:

EDIT: I think you meant @Kanrei, not @BlackYeti :) He was the one writing things down and recording, I only wrote things down.

4 hours ago, BlackYeti said:

I think you've got me confused with someone else: I wasn't at the event! :(

whoops sorry, I was just guessing from what you have written here and must have got confused :( as you can probably see, still new to the forum and the community @.@ everyone is so nice though!

48 minutes ago, Shal said:

whoops sorry, I was just guessing from what you have written here and must have got confused :( as you can probably see, still new to the forum and the community @.@ everyone is so nice though!

Don't worry about it. I was just very keen to not inadvertently take credit for @Kanrei's work; that would have been seriously not cool. Everyone makes mistakes, though, so I wasn't so I wasn't trying to blame you.

When Brandon comes to Britain there's a good chance that I'll be reporting on it then, but Poland is sadly too far away for me to make the journey.

Also, I hadn't noticed your post count earlier, so let me belatedly say: welcome to the forums. :)

Edited by BlackYeti

9 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

Don't worry about it. I was just very keen to not inadvertently take credit for @Kanrei's work; that would have been seriously not cool. Everyone makes mistakes, though, so I wasn't so I wasn't trying to blame you.

When Brandon comes to Britain there's a good chance that I'll be reporting on it then, but Poland is sadly too far away for me to make the journey.

Also, I hadn't noticed your post count earlier, so let me belatedly say: welcome to the forums. :)

*seriously, how is everyone so nice wow* thank you for the welcome!

also, to anyone still debating asking a question - this one popped into my head a few hours after the meeting. Maybe let's ask Brandon whether he had read any polish fantasy/sci-fi?

unless someone from the press already asked that but I have no idea, the videos/interviews haven't been published yet