2016-11-22 [Arcanum Unbounded] BYU Bookstore - Provo, UT

Lightning

1 minute ago, Djarskublar said:

Okay, so I took video of the speech, Q&A, and reading. I will post the first two, and wait for admin okay on the third. It's on my phone, but I'm not sure how to upload them. They are over 5 gig total with just the first two, and it was uploading really slowly from my phone. After an hour, it is maybe 1/20th done. Any advice on how to get it to finish sometime this week?

Direct transfer over cable to a computer?

17 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

B: They can tap a whole bunch, that's true, they can do that, but simply having it is not gonna create a spren because the spren is from a different god, right, a different Shard.

Dj: So if they had Regrowth cast on them, would that do it?

B: hems and haws for a second.

Dj: A really, really big Regrowth like in the middle of a Highstorm.

B: Hmmm, this, you are getting to the realm of plausibility at that point. I still don't think gold is the way to do it. I think you just get all that Investiture. It would become sapient by you sticking a whole bunch of Investiture, and then you can bond to that. But it's not like people gain what you would have done. Does that make sense? That's just what's going to happen, is you're gonna, you can create a, potentially create a spren that way, but you are more likely to end up with something like Nightblood. But you could potentially create a spren, but I mean you're just gonna end up...

I don't think you realized that with this parts you probably destroyed my whole theory-model of Roshar's magic :(

Anyway returning cold and logic (my poor model) maybe you actually got the answer to an old doubt of Roshar....The origin/source of Stormlight.

You can't use Compounding power to made a new Radiant Spren born from Preservation's Power and you can do it (in theory) with Stormlight. This can imply something really big:

- Stormlight isn't Adonalsium's Investiture and it's instead H&C's Investiture (I will say most Cultivation for reason not really relevant here)

- If Stormlight is Adonalsium investiture, you may use pre-shattering investiture as universal Investiture( As to say "Adonalsium's Investiture may be dyed from external intent)"

I went to the signing last night, although I was too tired to post when I got back  

In the signing line, I asked him what would have been included in a hypothetical Nalthian essay had there been one. He said it would have talked about how close the scholars there were to being Cosmere aware, and how they knew more than anyone who wasn't a worldhopper. He also said he would have given clues to where the pool was. 

That's not verbatim at all, unfortunately, and I was a bit too frazzled to ask any more questions (yesterday was a long day). 

Also, he wrote "Are you listening?" In my book, although I have no idea what was meant by that. 

Re the Kaladin flashback he read, he said we might have noticed there were holes in what we learned in the flashbacks in the previous books, and he was going to use these stealth flashbacks to fill them in. In the one he read, we learn more about Tarah. He said these flashbacks will be shorter than the main flashbacks. They're probably, like Argent said, in-chapter sequences when the character has a reason to think about them rather than part of a series of flashback chapters dedicated to exploring the past like the main flashbacks. 

I didn't get home until 3am so I was entirely too tired last night to post things, but I asked some questions and got some answers!

First I asked if Spren could be affected by emotional allomancy, and I got a RAFO, which is very interesting.

Then I just asked for general information on Elend's mom. Brandon said that Elend takes after her a lot more than he does Straff, and then I asked if she had much of an influence on him growing up and who he became as a person and Brandon said yes, she did. (paraphrasing, my phone was dead at this point so I couldn't record it for exact wording) Just a bit of character info that's probably not too consequential, but interesting nonetheless.

Then finally I asked if Vasher and Nightblood were separated before or after coming to Roshar (I kind of felt like this had probably been asked before but I couldn't find any info on it so I went ahead), and after hesitating for a minute, he said that they were separated after.

In the Q & A someone asked if time travel will ever be a thing in the cosmere, to which Brandon said it was already a thing (speaking of Wayne) but then clarified that no one has figured out how to travel backwards in time yet.

Someone else asked if we would see Hemalurgy somewhere other than Scadrial, Brandon's answer? We already have. It's not meant to be obvious though so we probably won't recognize it.

5 minutes ago, valerieofavonlea said:

Then finally I asked if Vasher and Nightblood were separated before or after coming to Roshar (I kind of felt like this had probably been asked before but I couldn't find any info on it so I went ahead), and after hesitating for a minute, he said that they were separated after.

That's extra interesting. In retrospect, it's not, but I had it in my mind (for no good reason) that Vasher had come to Roshar chasing Nightblood. A lot more pieces fall in place if we know that they had arrived together however.

6 minutes ago, valerieofavonlea said:

Someone else asked if we would see Hemalurgy somewhere other than Scadrial, Brandon's answer? We already have. It's not meant to be obvious though so we probably won't recognize it.

Welp. Put on your tinfoil hates, folks, it's time to let the borderline insane theories out of the box!

Good questions, @valerieofavonlea, and good answers.

1 hour ago, valerieofavonlea said:

*immediately begins squealing and pulling out Elantris and Words of Radiance and opening Coppermind*

Thank you valerie, now I'm gonna be insane-theorizing for the next six months. *sigh*

Haven't we seen hemalurgy on other planets because there is a kandra world-hopper?  That's what came to my mind when I heard his answer that it is non-obvious.

I asked three questions.  First, I asked the question above about if there is a power loss when a feruchemist switches powers from one metal-mind to another.  Brandon said (paraphrasing) the power does have to enter the person, and there is a very little power loss.  Less than we'd probably think.

Second, I asked if Rust is a separate person than Ruin.  I may have asked this question before, but it popped in my head.  He said good theory, but NO.

Third, my written question was "How will the everstorm affect Vasher?"  He wrote: "Vasher will probably just hide, but it signals something bad for him..."  Then he said out loud (paraphrasing) that we will find out what this means in a LONG time.  I should have pressed him for more information, but I was just SO excited to have my oldest girls with me and to have them meet him.  My impression from this was that we'd see very little of Vasher in the rest of the front 5 Stormlight Archive.

My oldest daughter, Tori, was the one with the Pattern costume.  She left feeling SO happy to have met Brandon.

12 hours ago, Windrunner Savant said:

Which I find particularly interesting, especially considering his opinion of the 17th Shard, as expressed in the First Letter.

Maybe because Khriss seems to give out information freely, and doesn't seem to have an overt goal like 17th Shard does (in this instance, finding Hoid.)

I asked him what happens to the perpendicularity when a Shard dies. He said that if the Shard's power is still there, even without a consciousness, the perpendicularity can still work fine, but there are other ways of destroying them.

I also asked how to pronounce the main characters in Elantris:  RAY-O-DEN, SA-REE-NEE, hRAY-THEN

Also, during the Q&A he told a story about playing Mistborn RPG at I believe Gen Con were he met a fan dressed up like a Terrisman, from bald head to toe, who was really disappointed he wasn't going to be able to join the campaign. Brandon, however, told him that he could be his butler and the man proceeded to fetch him water and roll his dice, and ultimately ended up as a character in Mistborn Era 2!!! :)

Potential spoilers for Misborn Era 2:

Spoiler

I believe he said the Terrisman was Tillaume, but I may be wrong! :P

Edited by Windrunner Savant

11 hours ago, Argent said:

Welp. Put on your tinfoil hates, folks, it's time to let the borderline insane theories out of the box!

Good questions, @valerieofavonlea, and good answers.

Working on it, I Keep circling back to Jasnah's assassination. BS has RAFO'd me on it twice now, once in person and once via signed book, I should note the in person one got the same sly reaction that basically said, nope... Not touching that one right now...

I went to the release, and I do note that it was one of the most organized I have been to.

I asked if Spren could be effected by emotional allomancy, and got a RAFO. (Though it appears someone else did too) 

My brother asked a question about my cousin's theory on parshendi(I don't remember exactly what the question was) 

Brandon said that the parshendi were created to be part of the Rosharian ecosystem. :o

Awesome signing it was!

I got a WoB as well, though maybe not as interesting as y'all's Cosmere questions. It's rather spoilery for the end of The Dark Talent.

Spoiler

Question, paraphrased: At what point did you decide how Alcatraz 5 would end? I mean, obviously you always knew that Alcatraz was going to end up on the altar, but at what point did you decide Attica's fate?

Answer, paraphrased: Pretty much right from the start. After four books of Alcatraz telling everyone he's a coward and a liar, there needed to be a truly horrible event to justify his feeling like a failure and refusing to accept the hero worship. I hesitated about putting that in a kid's book, but ultimately it was necessary for the story. Without a real, tragic experience in his life, Alcatraz's pessimism would have just seemed silly.

58 minutes ago, Lightning said:

That's so cool!  At these signings, I'm always the guy with a BYU math shirt and a container of magic cards.

So you were the guy I chatted with before the signing at that table outside the bookstore. Thanks for being so nice!

Speaking of, everyone was really nice. It was an absolutely amazing first Sanderson event for me. I will definitely have to go to as many that I can in the future. :)

Also, I forgot to mention, the girl behind me asked if animals could be affected by emotional allomancy, and Brandon told her that the closer they were to sapience, the easier it would be to affect them.

I also attended the event and asked if anyone on Scadrial was cosmere aware pre-Lord Ruler. He said yes (including Leras and Ati).

After looking a bit more into this I found that someone else was also thinking along the same lines and got a more detailed confirmation from Brandon:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cosmere/comments/5b66wg/no_spoilers_kwaan_might_have_understood_realmatic/

and 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cosmere/comments/5b66wg/no_spoilers_kwaan_might_have_understood_realmatic/d9njbqq/

Kwaan was cosmere-aware and trees can think.

1 hour ago, Eizweir said:

I also attended the event and asked if anyone on Scadrial was cosmere aware pre-Lord Ruler. He said yes (including Leras and Ati).

After looking a bit more into this I found that someone else was also thinking along the same lines and got a more detailed confirmation from Brandon:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cosmere/comments/5b66wg/no_spoilers_kwaan_might_have_understood_realmatic/

and 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cosmere/comments/5b66wg/no_spoilers_kwaan_might_have_understood_realmatic/d9njbqq/

Kwaan was cosmere-aware and trees can think.

Theorizing about realmatic theory and being Cosnere aware are two different things.

So sillyslovene posted this over on Tor.com:

Probably time for more later – but just quick – my friend asked (and I was there with him asking my own question) Brandon and Isaac at the Provo release where the perspective on the end papers is from – Brandon confirmed that it was from Silverlight, after checking with Isaac. There was some wonkiness in the response though – Isaac said something like as it was “imagined” from Silverlight, and I tried to get clarification for what that meant (is that because Silverlight is mobile?), but stayed pretty vague (got the impression he was maybe saying there was some sort of artistic license taken?). I consider it confirmed that it is from the perspective of Silverlight, but that that there is more going on there. 

Should come up pretty quickly in the transcription from 17th shard for the signing line since we were pretty near the front of the line. 

Silverlight was my personal theory for the perspective on that chart, so I'm glad to have that revealed.

Not a game-changer, but interesting to me:

I asked why Hoid gave the memory coin to Wax, what his motivation was (since it seemed to cast a more positive light on someone Hoid does not like), and Brandon said he did it to correct a lie that was being perpetuated. I said that I was still suspicious of Hoid, to which he said I should be, as those two (Hoid and Kelsier) do not get along. He said that the memory uncovered a truth that Kelsier did not want to be known.