Food. Food. Food. And spreads

Darkness Ascendant

8 hours ago, bleeder said:

That's true. But it's not bad on crackers. 

I love school lunch. We get an hour to just do whatever (We don't even have to eat if we don't wanna). I just sit around in the science pod (the big area where all the science classes are---my school's layout is weird) with my friends and make jokes or look at memes or read or play guitar. One time I fell asleep on the floor. 

Lucky! At my school we only get 20 minutes and the only thing you're allowed to do during lunch is eat or talk. 

I use onion powder when I cook. I don't know if it's anything like chopped onions, but it works as a spice regardless.

(I mean, I have eaten chopped onions obviously, but I've never really thought about which differences they and onion powder actually have with regards to taste)

Also, hummus is awesome!

Wow, this thread sure came back to life!

Re: onions, I Googled tips for how to avoid the tearfest after I made chili myself for the first time and have now taken to cutting off the ends of the onion and soaking it in water while I prepare other ingredients, leaving the onion until last. Then I use a sharp knife and do the chopping as fast as I safely can, dump it in the pot and close the lid, and immediately rinse off the knife and cutting board. Usually that's been pretty effective; it was just worse this time for some reason.

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles I am guilty of owning a bottle of minced garlic, but I have a good reason! I don't use garlic very often and the only recipes I make that use it only call for a single clove, so if I bought a whole bulb most of it would go to waste. With the bottle, though, I can store the extra and have it on hand for next time.

Here's a question for you cookers out there.  I don't have time to prepare a meal on the days that I work.  I work for 3 12-hour days, then an hour to and from work, and I have just enough time to fall asleep for 8 hours.

Is there a good place to look for meals I can make, then freeze for a few days, to re-heat in the office microwave?

Edit: I've also asked this question else ware.

Edited by mattig89ch
Added a link

@mattig89ch My chili recipe can go in the fridge or freezer pretty easily, and it makes several servings, so if you like chili I'd be happy to share the recipe with you. I've also discovered that Pasta Roni mixes are easy to reheat once they're made. One box makes 2 or 3 servings. You can do the same with a box of Kraft mac-n-cheese. My grandma's recipe for New England clam chowder is tasty when reheated as well.(And that one makes a big pot that can feed one person for several days or longer if you're not eating it every day.)

In fact I bet any kind of canned soup you find in the grocery store would work just fine as long as you don't stick the metal can in the microwave.

Another option is a brown-bag type lunch that doesn't require cooking or microwaving: a sandwich (I favor Smucker's Uncrustable PBJ sandwiches), individually bagged chips, pretzels, nuts, an apple/banana/orange, a cup of yogurt or applesauce, a granola bar... There are lots of options.

If your willing to share it, I'd happily take a look at your Chilli recipe.

Also, I do love me some New England Clam Chowder, so I'd abosolutely love to take a gander at that recipie too.

That brown bag Idea is a good one.  But with winter coming up, I'm probably going to be wanting a warm meal.  Our cafiteria is right next to some windows, and the area has been rather chili for the last 3 months I've been there.

Regarding Canned soup, its a nice idea sure.  But I don't really have a microwavable bowl I can bring with me to work.  They are all ceramic, and I don't have a place to store them yet.

Ok @mattig89ch I'll copy the chili and chowder recipes over here once I get back to my laptop. Copypasta on my mobile is kinda difficult. As for canned soup, most plastic food containers (like Tupperware and other similar things) are microwave safe. Just find one with a watertight lid, or bring the can and can opener along with the open-topped Tupperware so you can dump the soup out of the can before microwaving. Or you could use disposable paper or Styrofoam bowls, since those are generally also safe.

7 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

Ok @mattig89ch I'll copy the chili and chowder recipes over here once I get back to my laptop. Copypasta on my mobile is kinda difficult. As for canned soup, most plastic food containers (like Tupperware and other similar things) are microwave safe. Just find one with a watertight lid, or bring the can and can opener along with the open-topped Tupperware so you can dump the soup out of the can before microwaving. Or you could use disposable paper or Styrofoam bowls, since those are generally also safe.

You could also get a thermos from the camping section and put your soup into that. A decent quality metal one isn't too bad, maybe between $15-$20. I've used them before, and they'll keep good hot for several hours at least. 

Good idea, Twi! I hadn't thought of that. It'll probably be cheaper in the long run than buying disposable bowls, and definitely more convenient than Tupperware.

Ok, recipes!

Chili con carne:

Spoiler

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef
1 chopped onion
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 16-oz cans diced tomatoes
1 16-oz can dark red kidney beans
1 16-oz can pinto beans
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dried basil, crushed

Instructions

In a large kettle [Sunbird's comment: seriously, you need a pretty big pot for this], cook ground beef, onion, green pepper, and garlic until meat is browned. Drain off fat. Stir in undrained tomatoes, kidney and pinto beans (drained and rinsed), tomato sauce, chili powder, basil, and 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.  

Optional: put canned tomatoes in the blender before adding them to the chili, depending on what consistency you want and whether you like tomato chunks. Tomato sauce is also optional depending on what consistency you want and how thick the chili is after all other ingredients are added. For spicier chili, add more chili powder. [Sunbird's comment: I find 2 tsp of chili powder a little bland, and I have an incredibly low tolerance for spicy foods, so if you like it really hot, you may want significantly more chili powder.] You can also add more basil for more flavor.

Chopped red bell pepper can also be added, or substituted for the green bell pepper.

New England clam chowder:

Spoiler

Ingredients

1 can diced clams [Sunbird's comment: Or 2 or 3 cans if you like a lot of clams like me =P ]
1 cup celery (optional)
3 cups diced potatoes (A bag of frozen hash browns is convenient for this, or 2 large potatoes is usually enough once they're cut up)
1 cup flour
1 cup butter
5 1/4 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp vinegar
Dash of pepper

Instructions

Combine celery (optional) and potatoes in a large pot [it will need to be just as large as the one for the chili recipe]. Drain the claims, reserving the juice, and add the juice to the pot with the potatoes. Set clams aside to add later. Add enough water to the saucepan so that the liquid totals enough to just cover the potatoes (and celery). Cover and simmer just until potatoes are cooked. Don't overcook potatoes, or they become mushy.

In another pot [also fairly large, because it needs to hold a lot of milk], melt the butter and then add the flour. Cook them until browned and then an additional 1 minute. Add the milk and continue to cook while stirring constantly (to prevent burning the milk) until the mixture is smooth and thick. Add the milk mixture to the undrained potato/celery mixture, and stir well. Then add the clams, salt, sugar, vinegar, and pepper.

[French bread, garlic bread, or biscuits make a great side to go along with chowder, IMO.]

I just thought of another recipe that makes several servings and would be convenient (and warm) to take for lunch. It's a Japanese curry, so you can usually only find the sauce mix at Asian import stores, but it's soooo delicious.

Here's what the box of sauce mix looks like:

Spoiler

vermontcurry1-amakuchi-e.jpgzqb-19864b_1z.jpgjapanesecurry.jpg

As you can see, it comes in varying degrees of spiciness. I personally like the mild, but as I mentioned under the chili recipe, I have very low tolerance for spicy foods. I haven't tried the hotter flavors.

How to make Vermont curry:

Spoiler

Ingredients

1 box curry mix
2 large potatoes, cut into bite-size chunks
Carrots, in bite-size chunks (about half as much in volume as the potatoes)
1 onion, also in chunks
2 cups (16 oz, 1 lb) cooked chicken [packages of pre-grilled chicken strips are very convenient for this], in bite-size chunks

Instructions

Put a little oil (2-3 tsp) in the bottom of a large kettle [as big as the pot for chili or chowder]. Put the chopped potatoes, carrots, chicken, and onions in the pot and sautee them on low heat until lightly browned. Add 5 3/4 cups water and bring to a boil. Cook over low to medium heat for about 20 minutes or until meat and veggies are tender.

Remove from heat. Break the solid curry mix from the box into chunks and add to the pot. [It will dissolve faster the smaller the chunks are.] Cook over low heat for another ~20 minutes or until the sauce thickens.

[Curry is usually supposed to be served with rice, but oftentimes also making rice is not convenient, and the curry is equally satisfying without.]

[Please be aware: the sauce mix contains a strange combination of ingredients, some of which may be allergens. The mild mix that I like has the following possible allergens]

Spoiler

Wheat flour

Cornstarch

Banana

Peanut butter

Apple

Cocoa

Garlic

Cinnamon

Soy

• 2 weeks later...

Shwarma is glorious. 

I can pretend I'm eating chouta. 

But mostly it's G-D's gift to Ma kind on its own merits. 

I want to go buy another one but I think the shop people will look at me funny 

edit: no funny looks. Remembered what I wanted. I'm so full :D 

Edited by Delightful

Remember my battle against the onions? Well I made a pot of curry tonight and tried something new for chopping the onion: I dug out my swim goggles from the bathroom cabinet and wore them while I chopped the onion and voila! Not a tear to be found. :D

On 11/11/2016 at 5:38 AM, Delightful said:

Shwarma is glorious. 

I can pretend I'm eating chouta. 

But mostly it's G-D's gift to Ma kind on its own merits. 

I want to go buy another one but I think the shop people will look at me funny 

edit: no funny looks. Remembered what I wanted. I'm so full :D 

Shwarma is the best

Image result for tony stark shawarma quote

Image result for tony stark shawarma quote

You should come over to Sydney, then you can try our HSP

Halal Snack Pack, IT IS THE BEST.

Image result for halal snack pack

1 hour ago, Mestiv said:

Only in USA I guess :P in Poland Shoarma  is always a full meal. 

Let's do a shwarma comparison!

in Israeli YOU can buy it in a pita or a laffa with any mix of hummus, tachina, the mango spicy sauce, general spiciness, the cooked meal kind of chips, onion, cucumber and tomato salad, fried eggplant, pickles, cabbage/coleslaw, maybe carrot or beetroot or something else depending on the place.  And they actually have the meat on a spit thing and they kind of shave it off and fry it for a minute before assembling. 

How do you guys eat your shwarma?

What you described as Shoarma in pita bread would be considered a kebab in Poland. The Shoarma I eat in a restaurant near my house is much simpler than yours.  It's usually small pieces of meat (chicken or pork) with three different dips served separately so you can use them as you wish. With this you get French fries and some salad. I can take a picture next time I have it ;)

5 hours ago, Mestiv said:

What you described as Shoarma in pita bread would be considered a kebab in Poland. The Shoarma I eat in a restaurant near my house is much simpler than yours.  It's usually small pieces of meat (chicken or pork) with three different dips served separately so you can use them as you wish. With this you get French fries and some salad. I can take a picture next time I have it ;)

But.....kebabs by definition are strung together on a skewer. 

I just burned pasta. 

Let me preface this with, I only have one pot. 

I made vegetable soup. I wanted to have it wih pasta. Well long skinny noodles. When the soup was basically done I put the pasta in and left it to boil all togetherness. I'm not sure if that's the problem, if I was negligent, or if there was too much pasta. Suddenly I smell burning and there's a whole heap of pasta stuck to the bottom of the pan. 

So yeah. That's me today. Burner of pasta. 

50 minutes ago, Delightful said:

I just burned pasta. 

Let me preface this with, I only have one pot. 

I made vegetable soup. I wanted to have it wih pasta. Well long skinny noodles. When the soup was basically done I put the pasta in and left it to boil all togetherness. I'm not sure if that's the problem, if I was negligent, or if there was too much pasta. Suddenly I smell burning and there's a whole heap of pasta stuck to the bottom of the pan. 

So yeah. That's me today. Burner of pasta. 

It may have been too much pasta and too little soup left to boil too long. But yikes. Is your pan okay?

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

It may have been too much pasta and too little soup left to boil too long. But yikes. Is your pan okay?

I even added water before adding pasta.....I think it was just too much pasta. Thankfully it was still edible. 

Dont know. About to wash it. Wish me luck :P

update: there's a layer of carbon stuck to the bottom of the pot. I'm leaving it to soak in soap overnight. 

Edited by Delightful

@Delightful - I suspect that this is why my mother taught me to always stir pasta when it's cooking in a pot. Keeps it from sticking to the bottom. 

On the kebab thing - isn't a kebab the meat on the pole, that is then used to make various foods? (Like the donair kebabs that are popular where I'm from - pita, with amazing kebab meat and a mixture of veggies and sauce). 

Cuz I always thought a 'shish kebab' was the small chunks of meat that you skewered with veg, whereas donair kebab was sliced off of the massive rotating meat stick of deliciousness. 

But ive been wrong before! 

About the kebab thing:

In Bulgary what Polish refer to as kebab is known as döner which is what @Erunion called donair kebab. (description fits)

@Delightful, I am no cook, but everyone was always telling me to boil pasta in water and add it to the soup/sauce later. It can be tricky since you have only one pot but manageable :)