Food. Food. Food. And spreads

Darkness Ascendant

3 hours ago, A Budgie said:

So, the other day I was told when making pastry, coconut oil makes a great substitute for butter.
Have any of you heard of doing this, or have ever done anything with coconut oil? I've never used it before.

I've had it in brownies, where it was used as a butter substitute, and found that it gave them a subtle coconut flavor while keeping the brownies moist. It does much the same thing in cake. 

Personally, I've used it when making chocolate coating for peanut butter balls. It gives the chocolate that glossy look, but it does make it more prone to melting, which means the peanut butter balls have to be kept in the fridge. 

23 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I've had it in brownies, where it was used as a butter substitute, and found that it gave them a subtle coconut flavor while keeping the brownies moist. It does much the same thing in cake. 

Personally, I've used it when making chocolate coating for peanut butter balls. It gives the chocolate that glossy look, but it does make it more prone to melting, which means the peanut butter balls have to be kept in the fridge. 

Huh. Good to know.
I'm definitely going to have to try and use it, then.

On 04/03/2017 at 10:41 AM, A Budgie said:

So, the other day I was told when making pastry, coconut oil makes a great substitute for butter.
Have any of you heard of doing this, or have ever done anything with coconut oil? I've never used it before.

Normal oil works as a butter substitute, that's all I know :)

22 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

oooh, coconut oil as a butter substitute? I only use coconut oil for my hair occasionally. I reaally need to try that some day.

I cooked with a friend, with coconut oil. I asked her what she thought we should do with the rest. 

"Oh I'll put it in my hair"

meanwhile we're eating it. So weird. 

1 hour ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

Normal oil works as a butter substitute, that's all I know :)

I cooked with a friend, with coconut oil. I asked her what she thought we should do with the rest. 

"Oh I'll put it in my hair"

meanwhile we're eating it. So weird. 

heh. has a distinct and nice smell.

I accidentally made really good food! Some did stick to the bottom of the pan though.....

So I part boiled potato. Fried onions. Added the potato. Eventually threw in chopped tomato, a few blobs of pasta sauce, defrosted frozen green beans, sprinkled in pre-grated cheese, then stuck a piece of fish on top till it cooked. 

It looked good because there was white and red and green. And it tasted heavenly. 

I just have to work out how to scrape off the bottom of the pot and avoid that happening again....

7 minutes ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

I accidentally made really good food! Some did stick to the bottom of the pan though.....

So I part boiled potato. Fried onions. Added the potato. Eventually threw in chopped tomato, a few blobs of pasta sauce, defrosted frozen green beans, sprinkled in pre-grated cheese, then stuck a piece of fish on top till it cooked. 

It looked good because there was white and red and green. And it tasted heavenly. 

I just have to work out how to scrape off the bottom of the pot and avoid that happening again....

That sounds tasty. :ph34r: 

Oil on the bottom of the pan helps. 

As for how to get it off, try filling the pan partway with water—cover the cooked-on food by an inch at least—then put it on the stove and boil for a few minutes. That should loosen up the mess and make it easier to scrub away. Otherwise, you could fill the pan with soap and water and let it soak overnight. 

18 hours ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

Plenty of people use olive oil in their hair, too.  The Romans used to do that as a really fancy thing, I think.

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I'm starting to get bored of eating the same recipes over and over....does anyone have some favorites they could share? :)

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/eggs/fresh-pasta-dough-for-ravioli/ with http://www.bhg.com/recipe/vegetables/mushroom-ravioli-filling/ for the filling. Any pasta sauce works.

And now, it's time for Adventures in Cooking with TwiLyghtSansSparkles! Today, we will be making homemade Junior Mints, with a TwiLyght twist! 

Step 1: Get a hankering for Junior Mints. Remember how well your homemade peanut butter cups turned out and decide to make them at home. 
Step 2: Read the recipe, and realize you have all the ingredients except for peppermint extract, which is easy enough to obtain. 
Step 3: Follow the instructions exactly….except for the part where it said "Put filling in refrigerator." Put the filling in the freezer instead and walk away. 
Step 4: Return to find that the filling has frozen solid. Say "No problem, I'll just let it defrost on the counter." 
Step 5: Forget about Bruce and his sworn oath to share in every food you make. After about ten minutes of him demanding extra attention, realize what he's trying to say and go into the kitchen. Put the filling in the microwave on defrost for one minute. 
Step 6: See that the filling is solid on the outside and melted on the inside. Run the beaters through it again and decide that it's helped. 
Step 7: Follow instructions exactly, save for the part that requires an ice cream scoop, because you're not the Queen of England and you sure as storms don't have her money. Use a half-tablespoon instead, freeze the result and melt the chocolate. 
Step 8: Try to coat the filling with chocolate. Watch the chocolate slide right off and puddle on the tinfoil. It's okay if you swear at this point. Decide to wait a few minutes and let the chocolate cool, and then try again. 
Step 9: Watch the cooled chocolate slide off the filling yet again. 
Step 10: Say "Storm it," toss the fillings into the chocolate, put it back on the double boiler, and melt it all together. Line a muffin tin with muffin cups. 
Step 11: Hope that Murphy and his infernal Laws don't touch your peppermint chocolate cup things, because seriously

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

And now, it's time for Adventures in Cooking with TwiLyghtSansSparkles! Today, we will be making homemade Junior Mints, with a TwiLyght twist! 

Step 1: Get a hankering for Junior Mints. Remember how well your homemade peanut butter cups turned out and decide to make them at home. 
Step 2: Read the recipe, and realize you have all the ingredients except for peppermint extract, which is easy enough to obtain. 
Step 3: Follow the instructions exactly….except for the part where it said "Put filling in refrigerator." Put the filling in the freezer instead and walk away. 
Step 4: Return to find that the filling has frozen solid. Say "No problem, I'll just let it defrost on the counter." 
Step 5: Forget about Bruce and his sworn oath to share in every food you make. After about ten minutes of him demanding extra attention, realize what he's trying to say and go into the kitchen. Put the filling in the microwave on defrost for one minute. 
Step 6: See that the filling is solid on the outside and melted on the inside. Run the beaters through it again and decide that it's helped. 
Step 7: Follow instructions exactly, save for the part that requires an ice cream scoop, because you're not the Queen of England and you sure as storms don't have her money. Use a half-tablespoon instead, freeze the result and melt the chocolate. 
Step 8: Try to coat the filling with chocolate. Watch the chocolate slide right off and puddle on the tinfoil. It's okay if you swear at this point. Decide to wait a few minutes and let the chocolate cool, and then try again. 
Step 9: Watch the cooled chocolate slide off the filling yet again. 
Step 10: Say "Storm it," toss the fillings into the chocolate, put it back on the double boiler, and melt it all together. Line a muffin tin with muffin cups. 
Step 11: Hope that Murphy and his infernal Laws don't touch your peppermint chocolate cup things, because seriously

.........Is the result delicious?

2 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

It is quite tasty. I think it'd be best covering some marshmallows, but I don't have any of those and the ones I'm not allergic to are fairly expensive for marshmallows. 

Except that I choked on the bite I took. Storm it all. <_< 

Is....is it terrible that I snorted? Murphy really does/n't like you today.....

I say we throw them at @Queen Elsa Steelheart's school admin. Serves them right.

1 minute ago, Delightful said:

Is....is it terrible that I snorted? Murphy really does/n't like you today.....

I say we throw them at @Queen Elsa Steelheart's school admin. Serves them right.

Nah, I'll forgive you that. They really are tasty. :P 

No, let's not throw something that they might enjoy. Give me a few minutes to whip up some pork-pineapple-white-chocolate cookies and we can throw those. :ph34r: 

4 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Nah, I'll forgive you that. They really are tasty. :P 

No, let's not throw something that they might enjoy. Give me a few minutes to whip up some pork-pineapple-white-chocolate cookies and we can throw those. :ph34r: 

Only if you add curry and rotten fish.