Threnody was a Shard

PallonianFire

Nice work on the linguistics. It's crazy how many secrets Brandon buries in his books.

I'm pretty sure that there's no shattered Shard on Threnody. We have WoB that there is no Shard on Threnody; even though Devotion and Dominion were left shattered on Sel, Sel was described as having Shards.

Have you considered that it's not just a memorial for a Shard, but for Adonalsium itself? Secret History Spoilers:

What if one of the sixteen people who killed Adonalsium felt regret at what they had done, at who they had killed? The world wasn't named for a Shard; it was made, by a Shard, as a memorial.

Have you considered that it's not just a memorial for a Shard, but for Adonalsium itself?

I did, but I'm not sure that it makes total sense (from what we know, at least). The Shards that seem like the "creating worlds" types settled down where they created. I don't know what kind of Shard would make a world and then move on.

Plus, that still doesn't explain the Cognitive Realm blockage/Shades problem. Also, hasn't he confirmed that Threnody is a "splinter world"? I swear I've seen that somewhere, though I can't find it now that I'm looking. :/

I did, but I'm not sure that it makes total sense (from what we know, at least). The Shards that seem like the "creating worlds" types settled down where they created. I don't know what kind of Shard would make a world and then move on.

Plus, that still doesn't explain the Cognitive Realm blockage/Shades problem. Also, hasn't he confirmed that Threnody is a "splinter world"? I swear I've seen that somewhere, though I can't find it now that I'm looking. :/

I found a quote that implies there's no splinter, just "ambient magic" on Threnody and First of the Sun. You might be thinking of Ashyn, of the unpublished The Silence Divine - that's been theorized to have a Splinter of Honor.

There are a lot of worlds without Shards on them, so I don't think every world created by a Shard needs to have that Shard stay there. We wouldn't necessarily need to match an Intent with all these acts of creation; the Shardholders could have gone bonkers when they first Ascended, and then as their Intents began to overcome them, they stopped creating new worlds and began settling (or killing, or hiding, or whatever it was they did.)

There isn't an 'official' name for Shardworlds without a Shard yet, right? Are they still considered Shardworlds but with a distincition between a major Shardworld (Scadrial, Sel, etc.) and a world without an Invested Shard (Threnody, First of the Sun)? Or is that just what we refer to them as?

There isn't an 'official' name for Shardworlds without a Shard yet, right? Are they still considered Shardworlds but with a distincition between a major Shardworld (Scadrial, Sel, etc.) and a world without an Invested Shard (Threnody, First of the Sun)? Or is that just what we refer to them as?

I'm pretty sure Sanderson refers to them as minor shardworlds, but I'm on mobile so I'm not going to find a quote right now.

Love the theory, though I'm inclined to agree that it was probably created and named by a Shard rather than in rememberance of one.

Personal theory: It was created by the Shard who just wants to be left alone, it's not this Shards Intent that makes it want to be alone, it's just lost so much that it created or named a planet in memoriam and then left to go play chess against itself for the next few eternities.

There are a lot of worlds without Shards on them, so I don't think every world created by a Shard needs to have that Shard stay there. 

But doesn't this sort of assume that the world had to have been made by a Shard? Yolen existed pre-Shattering, and it would be pretty weird if it were the only planet that did.

I think my next step will be getting a WoB on "Has Odium ever visited Threnody?" or something along those lines. I'd love it if he decided to fire up another Sanderbot and crank out a Threnody novella for Arcanum Unbounded, too.

We know Odium has visited/had influence on all the major Shardworlds, so yeah, that would be very interesting too.  I wonder how much influence he's had on the smaller worlds like Threnody, if any (the shades make me suspect he could be involved, but he's not the only baddie out there I'm sure).

jW

Well, if we get a WoB that he has visited Threnody, that's at least another circumstantial point of support for him splintering a Shard there. Or, maybe we should ask if his influence is present on Threnody, to cover the chance of splintering a Shard elsewhere and people moving to Threnody/naming it after the Shard.

I for some time (a couple of days) thought that Threnody was where Harmony places the Mistwrath turned agains in Humans. They was legacy of ancient time with no space in the modern era. The Homeland was of course Scadrial.

This because "The Evil" was related to Ruin (we have a WoB about), the reason of the Shades is a Legacy of the Cognitive Block they once have and the Decay effect of the Shades was extra Ruin Investiture that Sazed give them to balance his own powers (this remove their Feruchemy)

Of course I found to many problems to this idea to develop it further :-)

Edited by Yata

Yata, do you have a direct quote or a link to the WoB you referenced? I see you've mentioned it a couple times (including your thread on the subject), but I'm unable to find it anywhere.

EDIT: Found it. The transcript it came from, apparently, has never been posted, but the quote is floating around.

Questioner: The Evil on Threnody...

Brandon: The Evil on Threnody.

Questioner: Is it related to Ruin?

Brandon: Is it related to Ruin. Well technically, yes. Directly? No. You let me wiggle out of that one, that's so broad.

It actually seems to go against the point you're trying to make - there is no direct connection with Ruin, so no reason to connect Threnody to Scadrial.

Edited by Pagerunner

First of all thanks... I tried but I can't find it yesterday. :D

Now, I already said that I discharged this idea, also if it has some appeal to me.

EDIT: Of course the "idea" of the previous post (thredony people as former Mistwrath) is different from the one in my theory topic.

I already left that one, thanks I forgot to edit my signature 

Edited by Yata

You guys may be reading a little too much into the name. Just because the planet is named in lament of something dead, (which totally could be a shard, you're right) doesn't mean that if it was a shard, that shard had a similar Intent. For all we know they could be refugees from Sel.

Edited by Ari

You guys may be reading a little too much into the name. Just because the planet is named in lament of something dead, (which totally could be a shard, you're right) doesn't mean that if it was a shard, that shard had a similar Intent. For all we know they could be refugees from Sel.

Agreed: Replugs theory that it's alone Shard.  :ph34r:

I just reread the story, looking for clues. Right there in the intro, we learn that Isaac, Brandon's art guy, named the world after reading the novella. So, there might not be any deep clues about other Shards or the history of the planet; it might just be a poetic way of saying it's a graveyard.

However, Isaac is on Twitter, @IzykStewart. I don't have an account, but someone else could ask him about how he came up with the name, and what the meaning behind it is.

This was the theory I decided I'm backing full-heartedly last night after making the connection between Svrakiss and Shades.

So this has my vote.