World Hopper

Falcon777

So is Shadows for Silence a Cosmere short story?

Yes, it is, though Threnody is a minor Shardworld. It is interesting though, that it is referenced twice in the book - first with "shadows", then with "God Beyond". Seeing the last one I assumed that Threnody may be connected with Roshar... but realized that the reference comes from Hoid, so it does not mean much. It seems that we can hardly find Cosmere place where Hoid haven't been.

I am still quite interested in potential dragon correspondent. We haven't seen any dragons in Brandon's works before, yes?

(Except the text with hating them, of course)

Edited: GammaFiend was faster with Threnody response. Dragon interest stays, though.

Edited by ViZet

My first impression was that Lyatil might be one of the Heralds.

But reading this she could be a Worldhopper also,  though she is fairly involved as one. 

It seems most of the worldhopper play a role but are not quite as involved in local plots and plans as she appears to be. 

If she had some kind of Investiture though wouldn't she have seen that Shallan was wearing an Illusion?  or see her use stormlight when she switched faces for the gaurds?

Yeah. According to the Coppermind, it takes place on the Shardworld Threnody. It's a pretty unimportant world, I guess, and I don't even think it has a Shard of itself.

Nor did Hoid even make an appearance, (at least that I know of). But apparently Nazh was there long enough to pick up their language (or maybe even originate from there himself).

Also, besides the very briefest of mentions of Nazh pretending to be an Ardent and coming up to Bridge 4 to copy their tattoos, have we seen Nazh anywhere else yet, for sure?

Nazh is indisputably a worldhopper.  He produced the notations on the Elendel map in AoL.  It was cool to see not only more notations from him, but also to see him on screen in WoR.

Edited by Shardlet

Apologies if this is not the right place for this, as a newbie, I am still learning how the forums work... but I was going through phrases that I highlighted during my first read (I am proud that I had the sense to highlight the list of Mraize's objects). At any rate, one thing I highlighted was this descriptor of Mraize:

"his right hand was scarred, the fingers crooked, as if they had been broken and badly reset."

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 494). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

Does this give any indication of who he is? I am not nearly as good with the cosmere as most of you are, and deepest apologies if this has already been discussed, I couldn't find it anywhere.  Thank you for your time. 

I think Threnody is a significant shardworld, and is the home of both Shadows of Silence and Six of the Dusk and is the home of a shattered Justice and Mercy.  I posted my rather longwinded theory about this here, when we were given the samples in the Steelhunt.  It makes sense that worldhoppers had spent time there.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/4685-thoughts-on-sixth-of-the-dusk/

I think Threnody is a significant shardworld, and is the home of both Shadows of Silence and Six of the Dusk and is the home of a shattered Justice and Mercy.  I posted my rather longwinded theory about this here, when we were given the samples in the Steelhunt.  It makes sense that worldhoppers had spent time there.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/4685-thoughts-on-sixth-of-the-dusk/

Except Threnody is confirmed to be a minor shardworld.

Anyone else think that there are too many people worldhopping?

Im not complaining I've been looking forward to finally getting on with the Cosmere haha :)

Besides most of these are only 'suspected' World-hoppers. If anything im hoping we'll see some more and go into more detail of how Hopping works through Shadesmar. Some sort of exchange?  Or is it like Temple Run, hurry before the Spren catch you?

"his right hand was scarred, the fingers crooked, as if they had been broken and badly reset."

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 494). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

Does this give any indication of who he is? I am not nearly as good with the cosmere as most of you are, and deepest apologies if this has already been discussed, I couldn't find it anywhere.  Thank you for your time. 

Unless he can Lightweave disguises like Shallan and possibly Hoid i will definitely be on the lookout for him in future books, he is so evil but i like him as a bad guy!!

Straight-backed, with jet-black hair, he wore white clothing and stood in front of the room’s crackling hearth. He reminded her of someone, a man from her childhood. The messenger with the smiling eyes, the enigma who knew so much. Two blind men waited at the end of an era, contemplating beauty. . . . 

Anybody remember this? Shallan's first impression of Mraise, i don't think he is Rayse but im guessing he and Hoid have beef? I can't picture Hoid being friends with a guy like this. Plus nobody except the readers seem to like him haha

The resemblance and the fact he wears white might be symbolic of the fact they are opposites? What do you think?

**Edit**

“Brightness,” one of the bridgemen said, “Highprince Dalinar has withdrawn the vanguard and ordered a secure perimeter on the plateau behind us.” He was a tall, handsome man whose arms seemed entirely too long for his body.

Chapter 80

Terrisman WorldHopper?

Edited by WEZ313

I really wanted to see Hoid fight in this book, I'm still a little bit bummed out.  He did mock Jasnah's Shardblade though, so that's something.

You won't see Hoid fighting anybody. Not directly at least. He can't hurt anybody

Edited by Pinpoint

According to Horneater legend. He doesn't really need to. His healing abilities give him passive combat immortality, I'd guess. In fact, it would be very Hoid to just stand there, continuously healing and making the occasional (or perhaps a constant commentary of) witty comments as someone whales on him with a Shardblade and fists until their Shardplate freezes up, Hoid ties them to a tree, and fetches some of their mortal enemies with a surprise announcement.

Is that a White Sand or Dragonsteel thing then?  The people who have read those make a point of not discussing them here.  Now I'm wondering if his immortality is the other side to the same coin. "Can't hurt others."/"Can't be hurt."

It does explain why he never involves himself directly in conflicts if he's somehow incapable of retaliating.

Can Hoid be killed by anything less than a Shard?  He says in WoR that Odium could destroy him utterly.

• Chaos locked this topic