World Hopper

Falcon777

Perhaps. Or the impossibility is Hoid: KING OF EVERY MAGIC!!!  :wacko:

Let's list, shall we? Hoid is either confirmed or highly likely to have:

Various-book spoilers:

-Lightweaving

-At least 200 Breaths

-An Awakened sword

-An Honorblade (making him a faux-Stoneward with the Surges Cohesion and Tension)

-Allomancy (probably all the metals)

-Feruchemy (almost certainly all the metals)

-Compounding Feruchemy. This IS worth listing separately when you sit down and think of how OP it is.

--An un-burned bead of Lerasium he's still "using" somehow

-Whatever the Moon Scepter is

This on top of being so old that only Shards are in his dating range.

Question regarding your spoilers

I've seen evidence for the 200 breaths, the Honorblade, Allomancy, and the Lerasium bead. What points to him having Feruchemy, Compounding, and an awakened sword? As far as I know, Nightblood was the only awakened sword, and it's almost confirmed that he wasn't in possession of him. Did I miss something in my readings? I've read pretty much every published Sanderson work except for the Rithmatist and the Alcatraz series.

Thanks!

Edited by Schize

Question regarding your spoilers

I've seen evidence for the 200 breaths, the Honorblade, Allomancy, and the Lerasium bead. What points to him having Feruchemy, Compounding, and an awakened sword? As far as I know, Nightblood was the only awakened sword, and it's almost confirmed that he wasn't in possession of him. Did I miss something in my readings? I've read pretty much every published Sanderson work except for the Rithmatist and the Alcatraz series.

Thanks!

WOB is that he uses feruchemy to figure out where he needs to be to intercept important events. There's no evidence that he has an awakened sword though, or that he ever held Nightlbood, particularly given that Vasher is present on Roshar.

So, is this a topic where we post everyone we believe are worldhoppers? If so, I can contribute a little. 

Zahel (Vasher) is probably the most obvious one (anyone else laughing at his colorful metaphors and how nobody gets them?) and WoB confirm Hoid. I wonder if we can count Nightblood, though it's not like he traveled on his own. I've been wondering if that Nazh is one too. He use 'shadows, woman! Even I'm not that crazy' in the text of one drawing and if there is a cosmere world where they curse using 'shadows' instead of 'storms', then he is one too. Though it could just point that he is not Alethi, but still Rosharian. 

@Gaz

No problem.

WOB is that he uses feruchemy to figure out where he needs to be to intercept important events. There's no evidence that he has an awakened sword though, or that he ever held Nightlbood, particularly given that Vasher is present on Roshar.

I did say "likely", so no confirmation (much like with the Honorblade), but we do have some evidence to look at for him having an Awakened sword. In retrospect the "you're on the right track" might have been about Nightblood being on Roshar, but I still think there's a fair case to be made for the theory. There is Brandon's "you might be onto something...".

There's also a theory floating around (though I can't find it) that lays out some in-text evidence about the appearance of Wit's sword in WoK that lead to all these questions.

Edited by Kurkistan

@Gaz

No problem.

I did say "likely", so no confirmation (much like with the Honorblade), but we do have some evidence to look at for him having an Awakened sword. In retrospect the "you're on the right track" might have been about Nightblood being on Roshar, but I still think there's a fair case to be made for the theory. There is Brandon's "you might be onto something...".

There's also a theory floating around (though I can't find it) that lays out some in-text evidence about the appearance of Wit's sword in WoK that lead to all these questions.

Oh I'm not saying it's impossible that Hoid held nightblood at some point, just that there really isn't evidence for it. Brandon could have easily just been amused that people were looking for Nightblood in SA.

Perhaps someone should ask Brandon if Vasher had nightblood when he arrived on Roshar. If he lost it prior to coming to Roshar then Hoid would be the likliest candidate for taking it. As he's one of the few people powerful enough to take anything from Vasher and then planethop to Roshar. If Vasher DID have Nighblood when he arrived then he really could have lost it in any number of ways.

I really wanted to see Hoid fight in this book, I'm still a little bit bummed out.  He did mock Jasnah's Shardblade though, so that's something.

I'm not too confident about that post anymore Kurkistan, since I got the majority of my guesses about WoR wrong, and didn't even realize Zahel was Vasher until it was pointed out here on the forums.  I had thought the Shardblade was involved in her father's death simply because "shear" was only used in WoK for Shardblades (16/17) and her father's Soulcaster (1/17).  That said, none of us got anywhere close with the details of the father's death.

On the other hand, I did guess that Kaladin had killed Helaran (possibly the first to do so?), so I'm not doing entirely horrible on the speculation front.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also got the "They come from the pit, two dead men, a heart in their hands, and I know that I have seen true glory." epigraph right, even though I was guessing Renarin or Adolin falling into chasm with Kaladin instead of Shallan.  I was also expecting Kaladin to have a more active role keeping the other "dead man" alive.  source here

Edited by Cheese Ninja

Oh I'm not saying it's impossible that Hoid held nightblood at some point, just that there really isn't evidence for it. Brandon could have easily just been amused that people were looking for Nightblood in SA.

Perhaps someone should ask Brandon if Vasher had nightblood when he arrived on Roshar. If he lost it prior to coming to Roshar then Hoid would be the likliest candidate for taking it. As he's one of the few people powerful enough to take anything from Vasher and then planethop to Roshar. If Vasher DID have Nighblood when he arrived then he really could have lost it in any number of ways.

I was wondering how the blade got from Zahel(Vasher) to Nalan. That would mean this Herald has something else going on besides what is happening on Roshar. 

I honestly doubt we'll ever see Hoid throw down. We pretty much have WoB that Hoid would stomp anyone. So the only beings he would even NEED to go toe to toe with is an actual Shard, which is way out of his weight class.

Hoid doesn't fight because he's so powerful that he doesn't need to.

Edit: Particularly if you subscribe to my theory that Hoid is able to utilize EVERY magic system in the cosmere. That's so many powers that a lot of them actually start to become redundant.

Edited by Galavantes

Hm I'd forgotten that Yesteel had learned how to make awakened swords. I wonder what command Hoid's sword would have.

"Be Oboxious" maybe.

I think Yesteel will be making cheaper swords, not as powerful as Nightblood, but using much fewer breaths. Like mass-production generally. Some Warbreaker details

So Nightblood has this super vague command "Destroy evil," and most of what makes it work must be visualization, because the phrase says almost nothing. And it takes a ton of Breaths to make it work, which is probably why Nightblood is intelligent. One-breath lifeless use a long, formal phrase, "Awaken to my Breath, serve my needs, live at my Command and my word." I think Hoid's sword will have one of those, and not be very smart. But it will also be much cheaper and less dangerous.

Is that Iyatil, that lady in the mask that is Mraize's boss?

Omfg, good spot! Remember in the carriage with Shallan, Shallan calls Mraize Iyatil's boss, and Iyatil laughs, saying Mraize is her student. Shallan asks in what, and Iyatil doesn't respond!? Mraize is a huge worldhopper suspect, what it he is Iyatil's student worldhopper!? 

Omfg, good spot! Remember in the carriage with Shallan, Shallan calls Mraize Iyatil's boss, and Iyatil laughs, saying Mraize is her student. Shallan asks in what, and Iyatil doesn't respond!? Mraize is a huge worldhopper suspect, what it he is Iyatil's student worldhopper!? 

personally, I want to know what is hiding under that mask. The other thing I thought of, is she a dragon like who Hoid was writing to in his letter (right?). I know that's wild speculation and whatnot. Buty why the mask, what alien features is she hiding. 

When Shallan finds out her name she specifically says "I've never heard one like that" To which Iyatil responds "Unsurprising"

Edit: upon further investigation, The mask Iyatil wears is a half mask, with mouth and chin left exposed. So no dragonface in hiding. 

Edited by Releaser

Can anyone think of what Cosmere culture Iyatil sounds like? It might be unsurprising due to it being from another world, or it might be because she made up her own name.

Can anyone think of what Cosmere culture Iyatil sounds like? It might be unsurprising due to it being from another world, or it might be because she made up her own name.

Is it possible that Mraize and Iyatil could be part of the 17th Shard? Or at least a different faction of it?

Hoid's farewell to Dalinar suggests he has the Gandalf problem. He has a lot of power, but if he uses it then Odium/Sauron will know where he is and curb stomp him.

gandalf ,and the rest of the five wizards, were forbidden from matching sauron force for force by the valar. thought i do like your analogy

also there was the ardent that was sketching the brigdemen i suspect he is the one drawing the pictures in wor and in aol shame he was chased of before kal could see his face

Edited by taveren

So,...I've been wondering if that Nazh is one too. He use 'shadows, woman! Even I'm not that crazy' in the text of one drawing and if there is a cosmere world where they curse using 'shadows' instead of 'storms', then he is one too. Though it could just point that he is not Alethi, but still Rosharian. 

In the Shadows for Silence... short story in the Dangerous Women Anthology, 'Shadows' is used as a curse.

So now I definitely think Nazh is a Worldhopper, and has almost guaranteed been on that system before. And he might be working with the Unknown Terriswoman. (We know he's at least working with a female, and how many women worldhoppers can there be?)

In the Shadows for Silence... short story in the Dangerous Women Anthology, 'Shadows' is used as a curse.

So now I definitely think Nazh is a Worldhopper, and has almost guaranteed been on that system before. And he might be working with the Unknown Terriswoman. (We know he's at least working with a female, and how many women worldhoppers can there be?)

So is Shadows for Silence a Cosmere short story?

Yeah. According to the Coppermind, it takes place on the Shardworld Threnody. It's a pretty unimportant world, I guess, and I don't even think it has a Shard of itself.

Nor did Hoid even make an appearance, (at least that I know of). But apparently Nazh was there long enough to pick up their language (or maybe even originate from there himself).

Also, besides the very briefest of mentions of Nazh pretending to be an Ardent and coming up to Bridge 4 to copy their tattoos, have we seen Nazh anywhere else yet, for sure?