A 100% New, Unknown, Mysterious User!

sortitus

25 members have voted

1. 1. How many?

• All of them.
    • Pew pew pew.
    • I like this answer best because it's ridiculously long, not because it's what I actually think.
    • e

Yo. I'm sortitus, real name Titus, nickname sort/sortie. Calling me by my real name works too. I hail from the Time Waster's Guide, where I still occasionally lurk. I'm special because I once read the entire TWG archives (spoiler: not that exciting for the most part), though I don't remember half of it. I also used to read every post that went through TWG because I'm crazy. I'm hoping to come back to online communities slowly and maintain more healthy habits than repeatedly refreshing the new posts page.

Like many people here, I like to write. I haven't done much lately because my hard drive died a month ago and my last backup was six months old, so I'm kinda annoyed and rrrrrrrg yes. I occasionally binge on anime and RPGs with the extra excuse of "research". Not that anyone needs an excuse to binge on anime an RPGs, but still.

I use this username everywhere. Steam, gmail, facebook, TWG, etc. Feel free to attack me other places!

P.S. I once had a conversation where I was pretending to be an astronaut and my friend was "Houston". The entire interchange was not actually about shuttle launch, but making out with a horse. And now I've said too much.

I refuse to believe this person is real, and exists in any way.

I second that.

Thirded.

Wait, what?

Note: Ee is my fake-life brother. Fake life is like real life in that it doesn't work in a way that makes sense.

Edited by sortitus

Thirded.

Wait, what?

Note: Ee is my fake-life brother. Fake life is like real life in that it doesn't work in a way that makes sense.

Fourthded*.

Awesomer note: I'm also his real-fake-life father, and he's my fake-real-life grandfather and it works in a way that's nice and confusing.

Edit: and before anyone asks, yes, i am indeed also his fake-life-real-life-fake-real-lifetime Nevada.

*- A brand new Eero word that is totally awesome

Oh, the whimsmanity!

Edit: and before anyone asks, yes, i am indeed also his fake-life-real-life-fake-real-lifetime Nevada.

Not to be confused with my fakereal-Time-Life suggestive spread that's hung in imaginary girls' closets everywhere.

Oh, the whimsmanity!

Not to be confused with my fakereal-Time-Life suggestive spread that's hung in imaginary girls' closets everywhere.

Precisely

Side note for everyone sane who's never seen me and sort's shenanigans: 90% of what goes on between won't make too much sense, but is something of a special bond shared between a Nevada and his grandfather.

Yo. I'm sortitus, real name Titus, nickname sort/sortie. Calling me by my real name works too. I hail from the Time Waster's Guide, where I still occasionally lurk. I'm special because I once read the entire TWG archives (spoiler: not that exciting for the most part), though I don't remember half of it. I also used to read every post that went through TWG because I'm crazy. I'm hoping to come back to online communities slowly and maintain more healthy habits than repeatedly refreshing the new posts page.

Like many people here, I like to write. I haven't done much lately because my hard drive died a month ago and my last backup was six months old, so I'm kinda annoyed and rrrrrrrg yes. I occasionally binge on anime and RPGs with the extra excuse of "research". Not that anyone needs an excuse to binge on anime an RPGs, but still.

I use this username everywhere. Steam, gmail, facebook, TWG, etc. Feel free to attack me other places!

P.S. I once had a conversation where I was pretending to be an astronaut and my friend was "Houston". The entire interchange was not actually about shuttle launch, but making out with a horse. And now I've said too much.

Sort! You're alive!

For backing things up, I have literally spent the past week organizing all of my files. It was boring. (The reason for the punishment being so that when my tablet arrives, I can just get my files from the cloud.) I use Google Docs almost exclusively for writing, so that's nice. But if you like writing locally, I highly recommend Dropbox. There's really no reason these days why things can't automatically back up. Auto-save is wonderful.

Anyways, I'm excited to see you back!

Thanks for the welcomes. :)

For backing things up, I have literally spent the past week organizing all of my files. It was boring. (The reason for the punishment being so that when my tablet arrives, I can just get my files from the cloud.) I use Google Docs almost exclusively for writing, so that's nice. But if you like writing locally, I highly recommend Dropbox. There's really no reason these days why things can't automatically back up. Auto-save is wonderful.

I now have a system in place to back up locally. I've been thinking of clouding it up too via Amazon's free 5GB, but I'm not a fan of extra software. Maybe I'll go for it regardless. I found love in the "briefcase" feature in Windows. Makes backing up to a portable drive super-easy and awesome. I didn't know it existed, but apparently it has been around for ages.

It's good to be back. I'd best read WoK so I can venture into the speculation forums again. :P

Edited by sortitus

I now have a system in place to back up locally. I've been thinking of clouding it up too via Amazon's free 5GB, but I'm not a fan of extra software. Maybe I'll go for it regardless. I found love in the "briefcase" feature in Windows. Makes backing up to a portable drive super-easy and awesome. I didn't know it existed, but apparently it has been around for ages.

It's good to be back. I'd best read WoK so I can venture into the speculation forums again. :P

Drop box is seriously totally awesome. You have to install a bit of software on each device, however, the software basically points to a specific folder (usually like "my docs\dropbox", but i think you can change it) and then any file you put in those folders is automatically synced. So if you were to designate say "C:\writing projects" as your dropbox folder every time you edit that file (no matter where you are) it will auto-sync with the rest of your devices you have dropbox on over the internet.

I don't blame you for not liking additional software--I know I don't. I would say that the Amazon uploader program isn't as dumb as it seems. At first I groaned. More software? Really? Why can't I just drag and drop?

Well, when you're uploading gigabytes of music, it's kind of handy to be able to pause. The Amazon software is surprisingly low key and hardly infuriating. It does its one task and it's done. You don't have to worry about it. This isn't a dealbreaker for me, and I'm always annoyed by that crap. Highly recommended. (I simply like the power to access my whole music library from anywhere, and any device.) Plus, having this option makes me want to actually buy mp3 music. I'm certainly not buying anything from iTunes in my life. You know iTunes sucks when Amazon's web music player is superior software.

The problem with Amazon is that it is just like an external hard drive. I think this works effectively with music, because you aren't going to be editing those files. But documents? Trust me when I say that having files all synced to the same place is far more valuable. I've spent the entire week going through all of my files, and with multiple flash drives, there was a lot of duplicate information. Don't do that.

So, Amazon isn't really useful for that purpose. Google Docs is wonderful if you use it, but if you're one of those weirdos who like to type on local office programs, Dropbox is great. It's low key and works well.

Or install Google Cloud Connect to Word. It'll automatically put a copy of whatever you save online (although you won't be able to edit it on Google Docs. But you can download it). I've found it a hassle-free way to keep a backup copy of my documents. I don't ever have to worry about it, and if I accidently delete something, it's still online!

Or install Google Cloud Connect to Word. It'll automatically put a copy of whatever you save online (although you won't be able to edit it on Google Docs. But you can download it). I've found it a hassle-free way to keep a backup copy of my documents. I don't ever have to worry about it, and if I accidently delete something, it's still online!

Is there OpenOffice support for that, or just Microsoft Office?

Hi, I'm Feather. I'm around and am currently obsessed with upvotes (the wonderful little + and - buttons at the bottom of the posts). So I've given you your first free of charge*!

Also, I totally picked the "I like this answer best because it's ridiculously long, not because it's what I actually think" answer because I took an AP test today and have to take the SAT tomorrow, and that's basically my strategy for getting good essay scores.

*Upvote acceptance will be seen as agreement to indentured servitude for life.

Hi I'm SOM1else, you'll see me around here occasionally. On a different note, *Stares directly at sortius* "'Adonalsium', *pause* have you ever heard the term before Sortius?" if so, and your in on the unsecret get over to general theories NOW. (If you've finished all of Brandon's books that is).

@Em

Pleased to meet you, my good man. Would you care to join my tight-knit group of ritzy young men who commit petty crimes? We haven't decided on a name yet, but we're thinking of calling ourselves simply "gang". We considered "Hershelites" after Sir William, but someone pointed out what he discovered and the ridicule our fellow gentlemen would be able to heap upon us should any rival group that is bound to appear knew the least bit of scientific history.

@SOM1else

I am aware of Adonalsium. I also know of Hoid's planet-hopping ways. Really need to read WoK though, and I'm committed to something that'll take at least a week, so that may take a while longer. :/

@Feather

That's a pretty good pitch, especially since it's impossible to reject reputation points. Are you sure your day job isn't "Pyramid Scheme Executive"?

Edited by sortitus