Reputation Points?

Excellent question. Have a rep. B)

EDIT: Sorry, that was a bit cruel. I just couldn't resist, though ;)

Reputation is a lasting, forum-wide measure of how the amount and degree of "good" posts you have made. When you look at a thread, each post will have green and red arrows in the bottom-right corner. Click green to upvote, red to downvote. Individual posts will record their net reputation, which will count towards the rep underneath each member's avatar.

We've had some discussions recently about the proper use of they system, but suffice it to say that, at least from my perspective, you ought to upvote posts you "see as particularly funny, witty, helpful, or insightful" and downvote with extreme caution. Generally, people only downvote truly "bad" posts--not offensive, since we normally just "Report" those, but the kind to which the only reply even vaguely possible without inciting a flame war is "dude, just no".

Do you understand now?

EDIT 2: You can also see what posts have negative or positive rep on users' "Reputation" tab, accessible on profiles. Here's mine, for instance, and here's yours. And here's Brandon's, if you want to be blown away.

Edited by Kurkistan

Also, rep points lead to ranking promotions with which you can use to impress your friends and neighbors.  For instance Kurkistan there has so many rep points that he is ranked as 'Hero of Ages'.  This gives him a dominant viewpoint on arguments with neighbors, special discounts at selected retailers (some restrictions may apply), and even the right to special legal considerations when he steps out of line :P . 

Well...maybe not so much.  But it is fun to watch your ranking rise and it gives you warm fuzzies to think that people enjoy what you have to say.

Edit: if you are interested, I actually wasted enough time to catalog rep point ranges for all the rankings from 17th Shard Trainee to Knight Radiant and some general ballpark ranges for the rest (unless there is something between The Broken One and Adonalsium).  Pretty useless, huh?

Edited by Shardlet

Haha. Shardlet, I did something similar at TWG. Over there , we had classes--things like Student of Light Magic, Student of Dark Magic, Student of Servitude, etc. There were about 7-10 different classes, or something like that. You leveled up based on post count. Well, I kept a list of as many levels as I could find for the various users....still have it too. Not that I look at it much. The missed levels bug me.

The point is, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one...

Edit: if you are interested, I actually wasted enough time to catalog rep point ranges for all the rankings from 17th Shard Trainee to Knight Radiant and some general ballpark ranges for the rest (unless there is something between The Broken One and Adonalsium).  Pretty useless, huh?

I for one am interested.

In addition to that info, the highest I have found for Shard is 252, the lowest I have found for Hero of Ages is 282.  I gathered from an older post of Chaos's that The Broken One begins at 512 and Brandon is the only Adonalsium at 1688+.  There are also 2 negative rankings that I have seen: Negaspren (which begins at -2) and Hoed (which has one banned member at -14).

On a user they serve as a good first-glance guess at how long the person has been around and how many helpful posts they've made. On a post it serves as an indication of how well-written, though-out, and how popular a post is. Overall, a very helpful feature.

There is also a secret level people haven't really noticed, I believe. 

Again, you can find the exact numerical values if you look very, very closely on many pages... But I won't want to spoil the surprise ;) It might be right before your eyes.

There is a pattern to the rep levels, but hey, blame Brandon for making sixteen so important. I think at some point we will need to increase Adonalsium's threshold, years down the line, though.

I think at some point we will need to increase Adonalsium's threshold, years down the line, though.

It certainly shouldn't be until after you and Windy surpass the new level ;) .  Unless of course you just want to experience the joy twice :P .

• 1 month later...

So I was poking around and saw that at the top of each thread was a dropdown which reads "Showing all posts".  When you click on this drop down, you get the option of hiding posts which are made by people below a selected reputation threshhold.  Amazingly <to be said in an extraordinarily exagerated manner>, these thresholds correspond to the reputation rankings.  I then noticed that at the bottom of the list there was -100, -25, -20, -15, -10, -5, -2.  Well, -2 qualifies one for Negaspren, and -10 to -14 qualifies one for Hoed.  But, I have no idea what -5, -15, -20, -25, and -100 are.

I also noticed that there was 1024, 1337, and 1338.  I had previously assumed that 1024 was Adonalsium (Brandon's ranking).  But, this suggests otherwise.  It appears that 1338 is Adonalsium.  I guess we have a while before we find out what 1024 and 1338 represent since Windrunner (our highest non-Brandon reputation holder) is at about 600.  

Edit: I apologize Windrunner for spelling your name Wondrunner.

Edited by Shardlet

I think I know what all of those are, although I'm sworn to secrecy. A few of the negative rep levels might be known by other people who were around for certain, shall I say events? It is structured a bit differently now, due to that conversation we had about lamespren being too mean. Feel free to upvote me if you want to find out those higher levels :P (I'm totally kidding)

So I was poking around and saw that at the top of each thread was a dropdown which reads "Showing all posts".  When you click on this drop down, you get the option of hiding posts which are made by people below a selected reputation threshhold.  Amazingly <to be said in an extraordinarily exagerated manner>, these thresholds correspond to the reputation rankings.  I then noticed that at the bottom of the list there was -100, -25, -20, -15, -10, -5, -2.  Well, -2 qualifies one for Negaspren, and -10 to -14 qualifies one for Hoed.  But, I have no idea what -5, -15, -20, -25, and -100 are.

I remember seeing that -25 to -100 was 'Rotting Chull Carcass'.  The name is kinda evil, but I imagine anyone with that level reputation has committed some terrible crimes against the Cosmere anyway :P

Yeah, it seems you'd need to be a complete turd or trying very hard to reach those levels.  The ranking low point is Hoed at -14.  I wonder what -100 is.  Axehound excrement?  Elantris slime?

I wonder if 1337 or 1024 is Hoid.

Edited by Shardlet

/>I think I know what all of those are, although I'm sworn to secrecy. A few of the negative rep levels might be known by other people who were around for certain, shall I say events? It is structured a bit differently now, due to that conversation we had about lamespren being too mean. Feel free to upvote me if you want to find out those higher levels :P (I'm totally kidding)

I shall now proceed to go and upvote every post Windrunner has ever made. ;)

1337, definitely.

I am curious as to the assured tone of this response.  Do you have insider information, a rationale which suggests this, or is it a general knee-jerk response?

1337 seems likely to me since it is a single point ranking.  But other than that, I can't piece together any significance.

Edited by Shardlet

Ah, leetspeak.  I admit, such things are rarely readily apparent to me.  "Mmm, a hacker joke.  How very Droll, sir," said Jeeves.

If only I had enough time on my hands to post enough to get over a thousand rep points! I can't even figure out how to get more than three!

Lol. +1

Edited by Shardlet