Reputation Finder

Chaos

You know when you get upvoted, you see your reputation amount go up when you post, but you have no idea what post was upvoted? I've always thought it's completely [insert swear word] stupid that you don't get notifications when you get upvotes. And while I don't have the best solution, at least I have a solution so you can find where you got reputation.

Go to your profile, and there will be a new tab called Reputation.

post-1-0-23754900-1323934394_thumb.jpg

And when you click on it, you'll see the complete list of each post that got up or downvoted. The mystery has been revealed!

post-1-0-57944200-1323934417_thumb.jpg

So there you have it. I hope this is helpful for you until, at some point, we get something more effective.

Cool!

Thanks, Chaos! Now we get to know how to be more popular so we can attempt a coup-d'état someday! :P

Yeah, only we get to run coups. But since, you know, we're in charge, I'm not worried about my own coup :P

As for the reputation finder, I'm very perplexed how this is grabbing apparently random posts. We can see the same info in the Admin Control Panel and we don't see the random stuff.

Well. . . I like the new site. I see you have come a long way Chaos. Its gonna take me a while to catch up on how this site works and the content but I look forward to getting back into things.

GreenMonsta! You're here! This is awesome. Good to have you back :)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I basically just read through every single one of my posts that has been upvoted. I have come to several conclusions.

1. I am a narcissist.

2. I am freaking hilarious.

3. I might be just the tiniest bit conceited. :D

3.5 If I keep this up, my head will not be able to fit through the door.*

4. I've been on here a long time.

5. There have been some really great threads on here.

Aww. Thanks for all the awesome memories, guys!

*For this post, the role of Feather's ego will be played by an adorable fish. http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1210.php

4. I've been on here a long time.

I was about to post and say "you haven't been on that terribly long, have you?" then i checked your join date and saw it's all ready been a year as of this month. Which is kinda crazy because i remember your intro topic (something about it being 'that girl' again, or something along those lines) and it doesn't seem that long ago, but it apparently is.

Also, yeah, I went through and read a lot of my up-voted posts when i first saw this as well. Good times.

An open letter:

Dear 17th Shard,

Hello, how are you? First off, let me start by saying sorry for the double post, but stick with me on this for in this instance I feel it is warranted. I was using the reputation finder, for that's what this topic is about thus why this is being posted here and not elsewhere (say in the mistborn section) when I noticed something odd. I was using the reputation finder to look at people's reputation points, because i'm cool like that, when I noticed something under peter's reputation.

First off, let me get out of the way that, at current, peter is up to 62 points of reputation which, in my opinion, is far too little for the man. We're talking about the right-hand man to Brandon himself. If that's not someone who deserves the highest rep here, then that surely means that Brandon himself is posting here, which to the best of my knowledge is not true. This is the man who gives out clarifications, parcels out small tidbits of info, and general makes the entire world of Brandon's work, schedule, and just about anything else all that much more clear to us. He deserves more rep. Get to work people.

Anyways, this brings me to the whole point of my letter. I was browsing peter's reputation, as I said earlier, when I noticed something. Out of Peter's 62 rep, 6 of them appear to be coming from this post. That's right, nearly 10% of all of peter's reputation is coming from a post talking about me being a woman. 17th shard, I am disappoint.

What have I done to you? Don't you remember all the fun times we've had? The days back when we were young, down at old Johnson's pond? Don't you remember those? We would waste away the whole day doing nothing but swimming, catching frogs, or playing down on the old oak. Don't you remember that time you slipped and fell in the mud and got your nice dress all dirty? How you sat and cried to yourself about how ugly you now looked with a stained garmet and soiled hair? And what did i do? I came up and sat down next to you, brushed a lock of hair out of your face and told you, "17th Shard, you're beautiful to me no matter what. And since I seem to be the only here, I think the only person's opinion you need to worry about is mine."

Sure, we haven't talked much in a while, just you and me. And I know you've moved on with yourself since the old days. You've grown up real nice, gotten a nice large member count, changed your look a few times, heck even upgraded your software. But this doesn't mean that I don't still care about you. And then lo and behold, I come across this blatant piece of backstabbing. Did I make you angry? Was is something I said?

Well, I suppose at this late juncture, it doesn't much matter. What's done is done, but I just felt that I should at least make my feelings known. So in closing, I don't want your pity, and I don't want you to try to take it back. I just wanted you to know, and now know you do.

Cordially,

Eeron-man

OH MY GOD!!!! I LITERALLY JUST SCREAMED FOR LIKE 20 MINUTES AND CALLED EVERYONE I KNEW AND SCREAMED AT THEM TOO! MY LIFE IS COMPLETE! I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING! THIS IS THE GREATEST DAY EVER!!!!!!!!

Okay, okay. I'll try to compose myself. Wait, one more.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Okay, now really, I'm done.

I'm totally going to wear it to school tomorrow, I don't even care. Also, in response to your question, No, the fish is no longer my ego because that fish EXPLODED!

OH MY GOD!!!! I LITERALLY JUST SCREAMED FOR LIKE 20 MINUTES AND CALLED EVERYONE I KNEW AND SCREAMED AT THEM TOO! MY LIFE IS COMPLETE! I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING! THIS IS THE GREATEST DAY EVER!!!!!!!!

Okay, okay. I'll try to compose myself. Wait, one more.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Okay, now really, I'm done.

I'm totally going to wear it to school tomorrow, I don't even care. Also, in response to your question, No, the fish is no longer my ego because that fish EXPLODED!

Your up here. -->

You need to be down here. -->

But good job.

Edited by Emeralis00

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious. I know there's a way to see which posts have been upvoted, but do we get to see by who? Or is that not available since we would also see who downvoted?

Correct.

One solution would be to disable downvoting, but I personally find it a smart idea for the community to police itself, and downvoting can be an effective means of doing so.

Correct.

One solution would be to disable down-voting, but I personally find it a smart idea for the community to police itself, and down-voting can be an effective means of doing so.

Personally, I think that a down-vote option is not necessary as a rule, and particularly not in this community. If a post is so offensive that it actually requires community members to down-vote it as a means of "self-policing," then it will be both rare enough and offensive enough that it merits a Moderator's attention. I think that we have a good enough community that our Mods won't be swamped by the work :) In this case, down-voting may actually hinder the ability of the community to call attention to "bad elements" when members simply down-vote offensive/inappropriate posts and go about their day, duty done, instead of contacting a Mod.

If by "self-policing" you refer to the possibility of using down-votes to spur and steer discussions, down-voting posts that you disagree with or find poorly written, but which are not offensive, then I think that this is a poor policy to follow both in the specific and the general case.

First of all, our community does not, as a rule, down-vote anyone. Just about every time I've seen a down-vote on this forum, it's been immediately followed by a post saying "sorry, I meant to up-vote you, could someone else please up-vote that post for me?" I, at least (and others, from what have seen), up-vote posts I see as particularly funny, witty, helpful, or insightful. People simply don't "vote" on posts that aren't particularly noteworthy, and any post actually bad enough to warrant imposing the stigma associated with a down-vote upon is probably tangibly offensive, and worth contacting a moderator to address. I imagine that the reason why we focus almost exclusively on up-votes is because of the universal nature of Reputation on this forum, tracked under each and every post and strongly related to image and prestige. Down-voting someone for saying something that you disagree with, or for using poor grammar, is thus counterproductive and harmful to the community at large as it discourages members from voicing their opinions due to fear of having their Reputation and reputation damaged as a result.

Especially given the current nature of Reputation and "votes" in this forum, I think that an attempted shift towards a more "negative" culture would be bad for us. It's always better to have actual input from someone who agrees or disagrees with you than just a number at the bottom corner of your post, which might have been a comment on how insightful it was, how that Portal reference was awesome (or annoying enough to warrant a down-vote), or just an accident as the anonymous forumite who clicked the down-vote button missed his initial mark. Even intentional down-votes don't provide as much tangible feedback as a well thought out criticism of a post that you genuinely disagree with.

In the general case, I imagine that a "neutral" voting culture would be one such that members up- and down-vote freely to voice their support for various positions in discussions. As a rule, I hold that actual posts with substantive reasoning are always better than a number tacked onto the end of a post, but perhaps this might be the best solution in massive communities where it's unreasonable to read the hundreds of "me-to" posts that cluster around major ideas, with most users instead anonymously supporting their champions through voting. We have a small community of people with good ideas though, and we really don't up- or down-vote enough or for the "right" reasons for this kind of system.

If your goal is to use down-voting as a means of self-policing unacceptable behavior within the community, then I believe that you actually undermine that goal by lowering report-rates and allowing problem-members to continue posting for longer before being brought to the attention of the Moderators. If your goal is to spur discourse, then I believe both that our culture is such as not to abide this use of Reputation and that, even if it was, we are small enough that substantive posts are still feasible and preferable when voicing support or opposition to the ideas of others.

P.S. For instance, I could have just down-voted Chaos' post instead of providing everyone with this mega-post. How terrible that would have been for all of my loyal readers. B)

Edited by Kurkistan

Personally, I think that a down-vote option is not necessary as a rule, and particularly not in this community. If a post is so offensive that it ...

...P.S. For instance, I could have just down-voted Chaos' post instead of providing everyone with this mega-post. How terrible that would have been for all of my loyal readers. B)

LOL ME 2!!11!?eleven!!

i kid, obviously. Have an upvote, because i agree with most of what you've said. Down voting seems sort of unnecessary around here, and could only cause trouble between users (if they knew)

Edit: also, i dont think its an option to NOT have downvoting, but i could be wrong...

LOL ME 2!!11!?eleven!!

i kid, obviously. Have an upvote, because i agree with most of what you've said. Down voting seems sort of unnecessary around here, and could only cause trouble between users (if they knew)

Edit: also, i dont think its an option to NOT have downvoting, but i could be wrong...

Thanks for the support. Will you protect me when Chaos hunts me down for calling him blatantly wrong in a myriad of ways? :( (as long as he doesn't down-vote me...)

I approached down-voting as if it could be disabled separately from up-voting, but my arguments are essentially the same in a world where they are inseparable: Keep the system the way it is, but by no means encourage down-voting, perhaps even actively discouraging it as an unavoidable relic of the system. The view of down-voting as a positive tool for this forum is still flawed in a world where the mechanism itself cannot be done away with.

Edited by Kurkistan