Chaotic Light: A CBST-Verse Adventure

Zephrun’s Imperium

5 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

In a second, not just yet. Sorry if this is stupid or bad; I can edit it or delete it or whatever if it doesn't make sense. It's just my best interpretation of how this sort of thing might work.

Even as she began to fade from reality, Night's Blossom could feel the poison coursing through her. It would do no good to travel with it, so with a flicker of willpower, she ejected it from her half-there body. No doubt a proper Silence Artist could have managed it effortlessly, but the paradoxical nature of what she was trying to accomplish threatened to break her apart before she finished. After what felt like an eternity, she completed the erasure, floating in endless nothingness, letting her unconscious guide her.

20 minutes ago, Zephrun's Imperium said:

They bowed. “How may I assist you?”

"Check the slave pits, expand our territory, strike fear in the hearts of our enemies... yada yada yada."

19 minutes ago, Fallapede said:

Even as she began to fade from reality, Night's Blossom could feel the poison coursing through her. It would do no good to travel with it, so with a flicker of willpower, she ejected it from her half-there body. No doubt a proper Silence Artist could have managed it effortlessly, but the paradoxical nature of what she was trying to accomplish threatened to break her apart before she finished. After what felt like an eternity, she completed the erasure, floating in endless nothingness, letting her unconscious guide her.

*Thumbs-up*

2 hours ago, Zephrun's Imperium said:

“It was just for fun. And I suppose it didn’t really involve me, but my alter ego, Astral.”

Glancing quickly between the two, the Mordite infused creature shifted. The rotting skin rippled and bulged as each bone moved, the torn muscle pulling them this way and that in an attempt to make its body thicker, and more intimidating. 

It suffered a single glance towards Star, waiting carefully for what she planned on doing. It was because of her that it was in this mess, surrounded by so much that it didn't know. If she couldn't handle this situation-

It cut off the thought, instead focusing on how best to approach the group from a tactical standpoint. 

Spade was silent, but that was concealing a deeper, all consuming emotion:

Spade was astonished.

You could say he was confused, or baffled, or any other synonym, but in the most simplest of terms, he was astonished. He didn't show it, of course- it would quite ruin his stoic reputation- but he could not believe his own two eyes.

For many, many years, Spade had gleefully ruled over his little kingdom away from the eyes of the Narrators. In that time he had become quite adept at reading not only a character's current emotions, but also their overall emotional state. It was practically a requirement to properly revel in their misery, of course.

The trick was to look into their eyes, of course- a window to the soul and all that. He had tried it on the Narrators back at th hall but had gained no results. He had figured it was just an inherent property of Narrators, being so far above characters. 

But this Narrator... Star, was her name...? As he stared into her eyes, he saw a pain he had caused many times before.

The pain of losing the one you love the most.

Lovers torn apart, children taken from parents, magnum opuses burned in front of their artists... That pained flared bright in this Narrator's eyes. But it was impossible! What sort of self respecting narrator would get attached as so?

Emotions churned within Spade. He realized that the flat, plain eyes he had seen from other Narrators hadn't been a failure of his own, or a inherent property of their greater power- it had just been apathy. Such plain, uniform apathy that Spade had mistaken it for something else.

He stood, frozen like this for a couple moments before the astonishment faded away into disgust. What sort of weak, pathetic narrator would stain their own reputation and attach themselves to something like that, then have the AUDACITY to somehow lose it-

His train of thought halted. He would. Him and his kingdom of misery, out on the edge of the world. He internally smiles. A kindred spirit, then. His disgust vanished, replaced by a strange sense of admiration spawned by his self awareness.

Finally, that respect mixed with a strong sense of beauty. That pain- oh, it was wonderful! Compared to the woe of characters, of those fake little pawns down below, it was just so... real. If only he could've seen the event that had caused it. He was sure it would've easily topped anything he had created back in his kingdom. It nearly brought a tear to his eye, just thinking about it. Alas, he couldn't go back in time and watch.

What he could do, however, was figure out what it was. That might be a close second.

4 hours ago, Zephrun's Imperium said:

“It was just for fun. And I suppose it didn’t really involve me, but my alter ego, Astral.”

Alter ego? inquired Grace, keeping an eye on the very clearly evil creature standing besides the Narrator. She tapped her notebook, sending out a call for backup.

3 hours ago, Fallapede said:

In a second, not just yet. Sorry if this is stupid or bad; I can edit it or delete it or whatever if it doesn't make sense. It's just my best interpretation of how this sort of thing might work.

Couldn't have written it better myself.

6 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Alter ego? inquired Grace, keeping an eye on the very clearly evil creature standing besides the Narrator. She tapped her notebook, sending out a call for backup.

“Yes. I made her to deal with the recent loss of my husband. I’m in mourning and I’d very much like to be left alone.”

57 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

The creature shuddered, sensing something wrong. Whatever was going to happen, it would be better if they weren't there for it. It tried to signal Star as blatantly as it could that they needed to leave.

Grace blinked twice. Her hand twitched slightly, sending a streak of ink across her page. If Star had not created her lover - indeed, if no Narrator had - that left only one possibility.

He had been from Outside. They had found their anomaly.

Madam, said Grace without a hint of emotion. You will need to come with me.

A little of the previous disgust creeped back into Spade. Just a mere character created the beautiful misery he saw in this woman's eyes? He found it somewhat pathetic. Still, he could not deny the hurt that this Maverick's death caused.

"If I may," says Spade, "I am sorry for your loss. I can relate to losing something you love."

8 minutes ago, Goob said:

A little of the previous disgust creeped back into Spade. Just a mere character created the beautiful misery he saw in this woman's eyes? He found it somewhat pathetic. Still, he could not deny the hurt that this Maverick's death caused.

"If I may," says Spade, "I am sorry for your loss. I can relate to losing something you love."

Star laughed. It was a cold, barking laugh, the laugh of a true villain. "'You can relate?' YOU KNOW NOTHING!!" She stood, summoning a silver sword with a gold hilt. "Maverick Oakenwey of Mendahar was worth more than every wretched soul in this Hall."