Are the ecologies of the Cosmere artificial?

Oltux72

First things first, I am not talking about Scadrial. In that case the answer is obvious. And I am not talking about the worlds. They are natural. But that does not mean that the life forms living on them are natural. They could be

• Adonalsium's creation
  • Yolish imports
  • Shardic creations

or a mixture thereof.

We usually expect a planet in the habitable zone with live to show macroscopic life with animals and plants like our Earth. But that is wrong. For the greatest fraction of its existance Earth had only microscopic, unicellular life and all the land was barren. And with the inevitable brightening of Sol, it is unclear how long Earth will remain habitable. It is possible that macroscopic life is an exception among the planets capable of supporting it.

In case of Roshar and First of the Sun we can be reasonably certain that they have native life forms. The prime suspect and the reason I am posting this in this section is Nalthis and its fossil record. Zahel told Kaladin that Nalthis has no fossiles. I think the easiest explanation for that is that Nalthis is too young.

So who has introduced multicellular life to Nalthis? If it has been people, why has the technological level of the Cosmere's worlds decayed so far? If I may speculate wildly, was Adonalsium going mad, destroying stuff and the people causing the Shattering had a very good reason?

The people of Scadrial were made by Ruin and Preservation.

The people of Nalthis weren't made by Endowment, but the planet was probably made habitable by her.

Roshar was made habitable by Adonalsium (there is WOB to confirm this, I believe, but ecological processes depend on Investiture, and those processes were in place before Honor and Cultivation arrived.

Etc.

A mix of nature and Shardic influence to all of them, I'm sure.

6 hours ago, Frustration said:

Humans had a mass migration from Yolen around the time of the Shattering.

That is the issue. How? A planet without a biosphere of its own, would have no soil for planting, no animals for hunting, nothing to gather, no wood for construction. How did these people live?

22 minutes ago, Leuthie said:

The people of Nalthis weren't made by Endowment, but the planet was probably made habitable by her.

Then how did she get people from Nalthis? The Shards seem to have migrated for quite some time after the Shattering. Did she hire advertisers and give out land grants?

14 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

That is the issue. How? A planet without a biosphere of its own, would have no soil for planting, no animals for hunting, nothing to gather, no wood for construction. How did these people live?

Then how did she get people from Nalthis? The Shards seem to have migrated for quite some time after the Shattering. Did she hire advertisers and give out land grants?

Perpendicularities probably

44 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Do you have a source for this? I haven't seen this, but I've probably just missed it.

I couldn't find one, actually I found something implying the migrations had started before that time

mcase19

Are all cosmere languages derived from Yolish (like French and Spanish are to Latin) or did the Shards create them on their own?

Brandon Sanderson

Some peoples other than those on Yolen predate the Shattering of Adonalsium, remember. So no. But many others do share a common root.

Stormlight Three Update #4 (Oct. 3, 2016)

But Yolen is currently inhabit by very few humans

Questioner

I’m interested in Adonalsium. Out of the people that were leftover from just before its Breaking [Shattering], did they think it was a good idea or a bad idea?

Brandon Sanderson

Uhhh… Opinions are mixed.

Questioner

Is it mixed between the Vessels and the non-Vessels?

Brandon Sanderson

Most of the Vessels support the decision that they made. I would say of those remaining, who are not Vessels, the majority think it was a bad idea. I would say it’s split between them (?), it’s not 100%

Questioner

What’s the number of [people on Yolen?] remaining that are not the Vessels

Brandon Sanderson

Not many.  It is a number that you could count to reasonably.

Calamity Chicago signing (Feb. 22, 2016)

There's not enough evidence for some kind of mass migration from Yolen, the closest that we could stretch is the Iriali's stories. And there being very few humans or persons at all has a far more sobering answer than "they all just got up and left" and that is that they all died.

6 hours ago, mathiau said:

actually I found something implying the migrations had started before that time

That might just mean Adonalsium created humans elsewhere too, though. 

5 hours ago, MyrmidonOfAchilles said:

There's not enough evidence for some kind of mass migration from Yolen, the closest that we could stretch is the Iriali's stories. And there being very few humans or persons at all has a far more sobering answer than "they all just got up and left" and that is that they all died.

Well, WoBs + the RoW AA imply that some very nasty nuclear things happened due to microkinesis... Though hopefully just isolated incidents and not wiping everyone out.