Anime?

Demosthenes

I wasn't a huge fan of Noragami. It had moments definitely, but it didn't suck me in and as it moved on the less interest I gave it. Glad you liked it though. Blue Exorcist was basically the other way around for me though, so I think our tastes just diverge there.

At the moment...Well a bunch of new films got added to Netflix and there's two or three new mecha anime as well that got added recently. I'm not fond of mecha buuuuuut, there's only so much on netflix at the moment.

Bleach up to the end of the Soul Society arc just got added today, but that's as far as I've watched and plan on watching so doesn't effect me much.

I wasn't a huge fan of Noragami. It had moments definitely, but it didn't suck me in and as it moved on the less interest I gave it. Glad you liked it though. Blue Exorcist was basically the other way around for me though, so I think our tastes just diverge there.

Same here. Blue Exorcist was good enough to make me read it's manga(was ongoing then). Noragami was nice, but I never finished it. Tastes. 

Finished Psycho-Pass a month or two ago :D It was a nice surprise, didn't expect it to be any good :P Still a lot of stuff I didn't like. Main what's his name dude cop. He had some good moments but he was a very boring character :( Don't remember most of season 2 for some reason... I don't like not remembering it so that's another thing I don't like about it :D :D Otherwise it was very good.

I'm about to start watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Hope it exceeds my expectations, that are high as they are :P 

Actually I'm in need of recommendations. Can't find anything new worthy of watching. Looking for last two seasons new animes that are good. They can have anything in them(ecchi, gore, w/e) but I don't like it when show focuses too much on pantyshots, cuteness and satisfying overly high tastes that I don't have. good action, comedy, tragedy, drama, adventure, stuff-that-can-only-be-made-in-japan kind of stuff is what I'm looking for. Anything? :P

Edited by Cracknut

Okay! Fine! I admit it! I use to be into anime and manga, okay! Stop torturing me with your presence, anime thread!

...Speaking of which, would anyone might giving me a recap of what happened in Naruto after about

the Sasuke-Itachi fight? I stuck around long enough to see Team Taka and Sasuke's new sharingan, and finally couldn't take anymore of it, so I dropped it

Watched the first 3 episodes of Sailor Moon Crystal because Fate/Stay Night has yet to finish. I enjoyed the new art style, and the voice acting was superb as expected. I haven't decided if I want to continue with it or not, though, given I watched the original anime.

I'm looking forward to watching the new Fate/Stay Night, to see how they handle the UBW story given a full 26 episodes rather than a 2 hour movie. I'm waiting for it to finish though so I can simply watch start to finish without waiting.

Yeah, I always say to myself "you know you, you'd be better off just waiting for the show to finish rather than waiting a week between episodes..." Then my poor self-discipline steps in...  :unsure:

I really enjoy reading the Food Wars manga in Viz's Shonen Jump, so I had been looking forward to the anime. Unfortunately, directorial choices are highlighting issues that I gloss over while reading, like excessive "male gaze." Also, the "disrobing" that I see as quirky in the manga becomes very creepy. They're just dwelling on it in the anime, when in the manga there's one (large) panel. We've seen two episodes, but probably won't watch more, at least not together. I do want to get the early part of the story, but maybe I should just buy the manga volumes.

We also finally watched one episode of Nobunagun. Entertaining enough to see another, and I like the art style.

We've watched a little more of Baby Steps and while the plot is decent for what it is, the low-budget art is bothering me more. Most of the characters have just totally flat one-color hair, and it's really lazy.

We watched I think 3 episodes of Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet on Netflix. I like a lot of things about it. Though the planet is really much more aqueous than verdurous.

I started it, and my library has at least part of the manga, but the bit I watched was fairly-though not overwhelmingly sure- raunchy and I'm not a fan so I stopped. I know of lots of people who do really love the show though.

• 1 month later...

We've now watched 6 episodes of Baby Steps. I really liked what happened in his first official match. So that's good. But yeah, this is the laziest art of any anime I've watched in a long time. I'm enjoying it in spite of that.

After 24 episodes of World Trigger, I do enjoy it. Not quite as much as I enjoy the manga just because of pacing. I still laugh whenever the open credits run sometime past the 10-minute mark of the episode.

Off the top of my head, my favorite anime series are

Moribito: Guardian of the Sacred Spirit

Steins;Gate

FMA Brotherhood

Nichijou

Dennou Coil

Kill la Kill

Ouran High School Host Club

Yakitate Japan

Heh that's quite a diverse list, they're all quite different styles/genres but I love them all, and some others.

Edited by nutellaspren

• 2 weeks later...

We have now watched 18 episodes of Baby Steps. Man, I really do like this show, and the production values continue to be so crappy. That's really strange. I guess it just highlights the strength of the original manga, or at least the scripting for the anime.

The voice acting is all good though, so thank goodness that's not a problem. Though honestly, I've seen very few shows with bad voice actors. The only thing I can think of is the original Bleach animated special before the series came out, when Kubo himself did the voice of Kon in Ichigo form. That one voice was simply bad, because Kubo is no voice actor.

Anyway, Baby Steps. So much faster paced than other sports anime I've seen. 18 episodes covers slightly more than one year, and it doesn't agonize over every single game. Contrast this to Yowapeda, which takes 62 episodes to cover a few months, and 40 of those episodes cover 3 days. More middle of the road is Haikyuu, which also has pretty good pacing, but not as fast as Baby Steps.

There was one of the opponents in Baby Steps who I felt was just ridiculous. But everyone else is pretty realistic in the presentation.

I've been steadily watching Lagrange: The flower of Rin-ne for a couple months now on and off and have almost finished it. It's raunchier than I normally watch, but in such a goofy, without stupid, way with no actual nudity that I've been comfortable continuing the series. It's mix between mecha and slice of life, with some fairly strong fantasy elements I think, which is pretty odd at first, but appealing after a while. I'm not really into mecha normally, mostly because of Eureka 7 I guess, but the slice of life makes up something like 2/3 to 3/4 of the show so again I don't mind.

The show is also a very comfortable 24 episodes, which is my preferred length for anime, and will probably be able to wrap itself up nicely. The pacing is not great, actually it's pretty bad now that I think about it, but the shows just so charming that I never really found myself minding too much.

Voice acting....ehhh... it's mixed. There's several familiar voices including Roy Mustang, Vash, and I think Tamake from Ouran High. One of the three heroine's voices is an absolutely unbearable high, fluffy, fake voice, but such is the life of someone who prefers the english voice acting.

The characters start pretty weak, but I think that there has been a lot of progression. My one problem is that the growth isn't that permenant. A character can struggle with something, the story arc concludes with them growing, and then the next arc starts and it doesn't feel like they've grown anymore.

The show's really just popcorn fun when it comes down to it, there's no literature here folks, but I've found it provides a great contrast in tone to Lost which I've been watching as well.

Off the top of my head, my favorite anime series are

Moribito: Guardian of the Sacred Spirit

Steins;Gate

FMA Brotherhood

Nichijou

Dennou Coil

Kill la Kill

Ouran High School Host Club

Yakitate Japan

Heh that's quite a diverse list, they're all quite different styles/genres but I love them all, and some others.

You listed Moribito and Nichijou, the two anime that nobody else seems to like and that I can't shut up about. You and I are now friends.

I needed a break from One Piece (I'm up to episode 632 now), so I decided to rewatch the first season of Durarara! so I could watch season 2 without being quite lost. And yeah, it's completely bananas, and I love it.

This time through I decided to try and figure out what the show is about. It starts out making you think it will be a character-focused slice of life, about three high school freshmen who are friends. Many of the episodes focus on the background and thoughts of a particular character, reinforcing this basic structure.

But carefully, the thread of a plot is introduced in the background. Gradually, the background plot weaves its way through the slice of life until it seems to consume it. Then you realize that no, it's still a slice of life, it's just that life in this fictional Ikebukuro is bonkers. In the first 24 episodes, there are three main plot arcs and several side plots, all of which feel complete, and none of which feel rushed.

So yeah, the story structure is pretty complex, and kind of brilliant. But, but, but. What's it about? Well, it doesn't need to be "about" anything; that's kind of the definition of slice of life. But if you pressed me, I'd pull out a line delivered by one of the characters towards the end of the second episode: "The world isn't as bad as you think." That is the central theme. It's never again told, only shown, but when taken as a whole, season 1 strongly makes that point.

On to season 2!

People dislike Moribito? Why? What was there to dislike?

I remember watching Moribito... or at least the first several episodes, when it was airing on Adult Swim, and I couldn't get into it.  It just didn't seem that interesting: part of it is probably just high schooler me being an uncultured swine, maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I weren't waiting a week between episodes, or maybe it's just taste; but I just don't remember liking any part of it particularly.

Moribito is definitely aimed at a more mature audience. Most of the conflict in the show revolves around adults and adult problems. I can see how a teenager might find it boring. You may find it more engaging now.

I did try watching Nichijou, two or three episodes. It was way too random and nonsensical and I didn't care what was happening to anyone, so I stopped watching.

Through various comments you've made, I know that you have a low tolerance for randomness in anime, and if I'd known that about you at the time I recommended Nichijou I never would have. It is the most random show I've ever watched.

I will disagree about it being nonsensical. The only times I found it nonsensical were the times when, in order to get the joke, you would have to either speak Japanese or be intimately familiar with Japanese culture. And there's a lot of that as well, but the rest is compelling enough to me that I look past it.

As for not caring what happens to anyone...I started out the same way. I remember the exact scene that changed my mind. One of the characters is a hyperactive, underachieving teenaged girl. It's easy to write her off at first, even be annoyed by her. But then there was a scene where she's trying to kill all the mosquitos in her room that are keeping her from getting to sleep, which involves a lot of smacking things. It's presented as a funny scene, and you think it's like every other little random sketch in the show.

Then her mother comes in and shouts at her to stop making so much noise, and slaps her so hard that she falls on her back, hitting her head on her desk on the way down. After the mom slams the door, she is left stunned and staring, just as we, the audience, are stunned and staring. Then she realizes that the mom killed the last mosquito against her cheek when she smacked her, and she smiles.

And then you understand that she's grown up with abuse and is doing the best she can with the hand she's been dealt, and that her happy, carefree attitude is actually a minor miracle. There are so many moments like that in the show. In fact, I would argue that the unifying purpose below all the randomness is to demonstrate the ways in which our ordinary, everyday lives are a series of minor miracles. I think it's almost Pratchettesque in its ability to blend the serious with the absurd, and I find it pitch perfect and entirely brilliant.

That got way longer than I expected. I warned you! I can't shut up about it!

Edited by Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my favorite series are (not in any particular order):

Bleach

Steins;Gate

FMA Brotherhood

Trigun

Cowboy Bebop

Attack on Titan

Code Geass

Mirai Nikki

Deadman Wonderland

Blue Exorcist

Baccano!  (all you Durarararara fans should enjoy this)

High School of the Dead

Death Note

Hellsing Ultimate

Others I'm currently watching/following:

One Piece

Fairy Tail

Hunter x Hunter (2011)

D. Grey Man

Gintama

Black Butler

I guess these are basically the top JUMP anime plus most highly-recommended dubbed series :P

As a clarification, is the OP meaning subbed anime (is that what you guys assumed), or does he mean just generally?  As a general rule, I watch the English dub when available.  This is mostly for 2 reasons: many series in Japanese have translations with cringe-worthy grammar, and because I have yet to find a bad Funimation dub of any decent anime series.  (I do not mean to imply that the dub is always better than the orig Japanese cast.)  Mostly I find that if I'm watching a series with subs I feel like I'm reading and not enjoying the animation/graphics; if I want to read I can just grab a book...