Could nightblood be made up of Raysium?

Koloss17

So Raysium has passive ability of sucking in investiture. Nightblood sucks in investiture. There isn’t many other things that could suck in investiture while being a sword. We know Nightblood was based off of a shardblade because Vasher and Shashara visited Roshar. They could have also discovered Raysium and used that for nightblood’s blade. It seems pretty plausible and makes a lot of sense. I don’t think there is any reason why this wouldn’t be a valid theory, but if there is, I’d love to hear it.

1 hour ago, Theoryspren said:

I am pretty sure Nighblood was just a steel sword that Shashara infused with Breaths.

Well, I’m pretty sure we know that ruin’s investiture is involved. So it isn’t quite just a sword infused with lots of breaths. I think there has to be more to nightblood than just an awakened sword with some of Ruin’s investiture, because I don’t think that would allow a sword to be so strong as to snap perpendicularities and kill vessels.

51 minutes ago, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

Source?

Walin

Does Nightblood contain any of Ruin's Investiture? Like, not atium, but...

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, technically; and I'm not wiggling around that, because technically, location in the Cosmere and who belongs to what gets really weird, right? Because Ruin's Investiture is everywhere--but I'm not talking that way. I'm talking the way you actually mean it. 

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

So it doesn’t quite give super clear stuff, but it is a sort of confirmation.

Surely if NB is a steel sword and it's used to stab someone it is a Steel Spike, and as it draws investiture, surely it inherently is very effective at Haematurgy?

Trouble is, nobody would survive being stabbed with that Spike. 

But it doesn't need to stab someone WITH Haematurgy. It stabbing someone in the appropriate manner IS Haematurgy. 

Edited by IndigoAjah

It’s confirmed on the wiki that nightblood was not originally a Hemalurgic spike or metalmind. So I think the big mystery on why nightblood is nightblood will go unsolved until we learn about a new magical mechanic.

Edited by Koloss17

16 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

It’s confirmed on the wiki that nightblood was not originally a Hemalurgic spike or metalmind. So I think the big mystery on why nightblood is nightblood will go unsolved until we learn about a new magical mechanic.

I think NB is NB for unique reasons that we already have the mechanics for: he's hyperinvested with Endowment's Investiture, copying a Sprenblade but with enough energy to manifest his own Intent which was given in a very vague way. He's already cross-system and essentially a mini-Shard in terms of how much Investiture he has, and with that powerful Intent/Command he, like a Shard, effectively changes the Universe and creates his own magic to follow his Intent. 

Of course, we'll get the finer details in Nightblood where I think we are gonna see Azure's Blade made.

And whether he was designed to be a Spike or not, he probably is one, based on pure mechanics, just as Vin's earring was one and the Spike in Zane too.

1 hour ago, IndigoAjah said:

I think NB is NB for unique reasons that we already have the mechanics for: he's hyperinvested with Endowment's Investiture, copying a Sprenblade but with enough energy to manifest his own Intent which was given in a very vague way. He's already cross-system and essentially a mini-Shard in terms of how much Investiture he has, and with that powerful Intent/Command he, like a Shard, effectively changes the Universe and creates his own magic to follow his Intent. 

Of course, we'll get the finer details in Nightblood where I think we are gonna see Azure's Blade made.

And whether he was designed to be a Spike or not, he probably is one, based on pure mechanics, just as Vin's earring was one and the Spike in Zane too.

So I feel like there has to be something past pumping tons of breath and giving it a special intent that could make an item that can damage shards. If that was the case, then the secret of awakening metal without the ninth heightening would be catastrophic. Nalthis’ magic system would be the most powerful by far, creating mistborn slaughtering machines with just 1000 breaths. I feel like there has to be something much harder to do to make something like nightblood.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 4:43 PM, IndigoAjah said:

The Anti-Light/Rhythm of Adonalsium?

Would explain the destruction of ALL Investiture...

Nightblood doesn’t destroy investiture: it leaks it out in the form of the black smoke. Brandon has said in a WOB that Endowement had specific involvement in Nightblood’s creation. What Brandon means with Ruins investiture involved is that matter, being created by Adonalsium, technically has investiture from all 16 shards. 

I'd note that Nightblood's creation seems to be... weird.

Its creation was bizarre and would be really hard to recreate:

Megasif

In London I wanted to ask about Nightblood. The way he is Invested, is that a one-off-case kind of thing, or is it possible to do another of that level?

Brandon Sanderson

It was really bizarre, and I will explain it eventually and that will let you know why. It's theoretically possible to do almost anything so it's theoretically possible to do what he did but it'd be very hard.

Oathbringer Leeds signing (Dec. 1, 2017)

Nightblood's creation was "playing with some real dangerous stuff" and it didn't go as planned:

Questioner

If Vasher and Shashara had Awakened a non-weapon in exactly the same way as Nightblood (say a shield), would the object exhibit the same properties as Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

So, if you said "destroy evil" to a shield... no, it wouldn't be exactly the same. The Command is the most important part of all of this, but the shape, how the weapon perceives itself, how you perceive it, is all gonna play into this. They're playing with some real dangerous stuff when they made Nightblood. And it didn't go as intended.

San Diego Comic-Con@Home 2020 (July 23, 2020)

Vasher thinks about how not even Shashara understood the process fully, and that they didn't think it should have produced something alive like Nightblood (WB 51):

That was the great crux of the problem, the issue that had dominated most of Vasher’s life. A thousand Breaths. That was what it took to Awaken an object of steel and give it sentience. Even Shashara hadn’t fully understood the process, though she had first devised it.

It took a person who had reached the Ninth Heightening to Awaken stone or steel. Even then, this process shouldn’t have worked. It should have created an Awakened object with no more of a mind than the tassels on his cloak.

Nightblood should not be alive. And yet he was.

Summary of the WoBs: Nightblood's creation was a bizarre and hard-to-replicate process that neither Vasher nor Shashara completely understood, involving very dangerous things, that they did not expect to result in sentience, and yet it did.

I think Nightblood was always a special sword, even before it was Awakened.  What if it was an ancestral blade, owned by a powerful warrior family and passed down for generations, fighting in many battles.  What if had started to develop a strong cognitive identity, like we see in Stormlight during Soulcasting, or in Secret History with the fire?   And then Shashara and Vasher gave it a mass of investiture. Perhaps if they had Awakened a brand new, freshly forged sword they would have produced a result more in line with what they were expecting.  I could very easily see not considering the cognitive aspects of an object having drastic effects upon the results

On 1/22/2021 at 5:39 PM, teknopathetic said:

I wonder how the sword was chosen. Maybe the sword had belonged to Ati at some point and therefor had some sort of connection that way? 

I can't really say why, but it doesn't seem likely that the Scholars were specifically trying to draw on Ruin. It seems more likely to me they did something that just involved it, possibly not even on purpose. But again, just a vibe, I can't really say why