Cultivation and Odium Mix

LongShlong

So we know Honor and Cultivation have a light together called Towerlight. I think there are some cultural metaphors describing towers that fit well with earthly interpretations of Towers. For one, Towers as symbols are depicted as sturdy and reaching towards the heavens. Honor is literally god to most Rosharans so towers thematically fit with their interpretation of god. Similarly, large towers are seen as a symbol of cultural advancement. The greatest architectural marvels on Earth such as the pyramids, the Burj Khalifa, and even the leaning tower of Pisa are ways civilizations show growth and innovation. You'll have to excuse my rhetorical ability, I don't have much experience explaining my thoughts in written format, but I'm sure you see the parallels between how humans view towers, and the shards, Honor and Cultivation.

So This brings me to Cultivation and Odium. I thought for hours and hours about some symbol... some metaphor... some idiom... anything to connect divine hatred and growth. As I pondered, I had a thought that chilled me to my bone. The more I thought about this particular cultural nexus, the more I felt goosebumps on my arms. Wouldn't it be fitting, as a foil to TowerLight, if the mixture of Cultivation and Odium was also named after another particular architectural innovation? I concluded a place that encompasses both Odium and Cultivation would be responsible for many of humanities fears, much of humanities hatred, and full of mental, physical, and intellectual growth. Thinking through all of these, I postulate to you: A light that is formed from the combination of Voidlight and Lifelight would be called MiddleSchoolLight.

P.S, I don't know how to post on here, I just have an exam in an hour, so I wanted to do something to take my mind off it, please let me know if I broke some rule or something. I don't want to spoil anyone who hasn't read the book yet, so I hope this goes where spoilers are allowed. Please take it down if I put it in the wrong place.

5 hours ago, LongShlong said:

So we know Honor and Cultivation have a light together called Towerlight. I think there are some cultural metaphors describing towers that fit well with earthly interpretations of Towers. For one, Towers as symbols are depicted as sturdy and reaching towards the heavens. Honor is literally god to most Rosharans so towers thematically fit with their interpretation of god. Similarly, large towers are seen as a symbol of cultural advancement. The greatest architectural marvels on Earth such as the pyramids, the Burj Khalifa, and even the leaning tower of Pisa are ways civilizations show growth and innovation. You'll have to excuse my rhetorical ability, I don't have much experience explaining my thoughts in written format, but I'm sure you see the parallels between how humans view towers, and the shards, Honor and Cultivation.

So This brings me to Cultivation and Odium. I thought for hours and hours about some symbol... some metaphor... some idiom... anything to connect divine hatred and growth. As I pondered, I had a thought that chilled me to my bone. The more I thought about this particular cultural nexus, the more I felt goosebumps on my arms. Wouldn't it be fitting, as a foil to TowerLight, if the mixture of Cultivation and Odium was also named after another particular architectural innovation? I concluded a place that encompasses both Odium and Cultivation would be responsible for many of humanities fears, much of humanities hatred, and full of mental, physical, and intellectual growth. Thinking through all of these, I postulate to you: A light that is formed from the combination of Voidlight and Lifelight would be called MiddleSchoolLight.

P.S, I don't know how to post on here, I just have an exam in an hour, so I wanted to do something to take my mind off it, please let me know if I broke some rule or something. I don't want to spoil anyone who hasn't read the book yet, so I hope this goes where spoilers are allowed. Please take it down if I put it in the wrong place.

Eugenics light

At the moment I'm pretty sure the Odium + Cultivation light is something like / tied to Civilization or Building, since Venli can hear both tones when she stoneshapes in chapter 83. So yeah, there could really be some architectural name for this haha.

I'd like to know what Towerlight (I thought it's obviously called tower light because it powers the tower of Urithiru) actually stands for. If O+H Light symbolises War, O+C Light is probably Civilization as I said, and I guess O+H Light could be Conquest or Exploration or something, and H+C?

You want to grow something with honour and principles; what is that? I also feel like while Cultivation symbolises the growing, changing, spontaneous side of nature, Honour is more the principles and structures people live by, so those two make me think about Scrum Basics and how projects and tasks are sorted into complicated (honor) and complex (cultivation). So to me, Towerlight is Scrum Light. Hmmm. Life is kind of made up of strict principles and of uncontrollable things. Nature is, too. Society is. Urgh. This is hard.

Also, what if we mix Towerlight with the Rythm of War for example? We'd get 2x Honor, 1x Cultivation and 1x Odium. That mix is pretty interesting.

Edited by Wind_Breaker

8 minutes ago, Wind_Breaker said:

At the moment I'm pretty sure the Odium + Cultivation light is something like / tied to Civilization or Building, since Venli can hear both tones when she stoneshapes in chapter 83. So yeah, there could really be some architectural name for this haha.

I'd like to know what Towerlight (I thought it's obviously called tower light because it powers the tower of Urithiru) actually stands for. If O+H Light symbolises War, O+C Light is probably Civilization as I said, and I guess O+H Light could be Conquest or Exploration or something, and H+C?

You want to grow something with honour and principles; what is that? I also feel like while Cultivation symbolises the growing, changing, spontaneous side of nature, Honour is more the principles and structures people live by, so those two make me think about Scrum Basics and how projects and tasks are sorted into complicated (honor) and complex (cultivation). So to me, Towerlight is Scrum Light. Hmmm. Life is kind of made up of strict principles and of uncontrollable things. Nature is, too. Society is. Urgh. This is hard.

Also, what if we mix Towerlight with the Rythm of War for example? We'd get 2x Honor, 1x Cultivation and 1x Odium. That mix is pretty interesting.

Honestly, this whole mixing of previously mixed lights seems like a flawed concept. Where does it end? it would be a spiral with no end in sight.

3 hours ago, Wind_Breaker said:

or all three base lights together, or all three mixtures together (i assume this would essentially be doubly as powerful as mixing all three bases) or a void with RoW. any weird combination makes me wonder. Oh, what about anti-voidlight with Towerlight, or anti-lifelight with RoW or anti stormlight with C+O? How about anti Towerlight with voidlight? you get the idea, Lots of cool combos. Hope a lot of them come up!

Didn't Navani liken the combined rhythms of Honor and Cultivation to "Science" at one point? I only have the audio books so if someone can find that I would be eternally grateful. Was close to the end of the book if I remember right.

Anyway, my head-canon name for the combined rhythm/light of Cultivation and Odium is "Pestilence."

On 12/20/2020 at 5:57 PM, Dreamwa1ker said:

I like to think if the shards of Odium + Cultivation combined it would be called Malignance. Which sounds badass but storming terrifying.

@Dreamwa1ker love your "Malignance" idea too, I think we're on the same page with the virus/cancer vibe: Unchecked and destructive growth.

My guess for a Lifelight+Voidlight combination would be Freedomlight, purely from the impression I got from the tone Venli hears. Kind of the idea that you are growing from your hatred, being freed from it. It could almost be similar but more complete to how Odium was taking away Moash's feelings, instead the idea of growing into something different that doesn't need those emotions. (Just some thoughts I had while rereading parts of RoW) :)

9 hours ago, BrightEyes2 said:

My guess for a Lifelight+Voidlight combination would be Freedomlight, purely from the impression I got from the tone Venli hears. Kind of the idea that you are growing from your hatred, being freed from it. It could almost be similar but more complete to how Odium was taking away Moash's feelings, instead the idea of growing into something different that doesn't need those emotions. (Just some thoughts I had while rereading parts of RoW) :)

Listener edition Declaration of Independence. :P

On 12/23/2020 at 0:34 AM, Zanarkand said:

Anyway, my head-canon name for the combined rhythm/light of Cultivation and Odium is "Pestilence."

@Dreamwa1ker love your "Malignance" idea too, I think we're on the same page with the virus/cancer vibe: Unchecked and destructive growth.

Yeah I like pestilence as well, I was going for a cancer/festering vibe. And with Pestilence for that and with Odium + Honor being War, we would have half of The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse!!

Edited by Dreamwa1ker

18 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I think it could be something like Rebellionlight, "cultivating" "hatred" towards a ruling body and overthrowing them for your own benefit.

Revolutionlight sounds more positive, and fits better with the “freedom” feeling