Fused madness

Necessary Eagle

There's been discussions about whether there's any real downsides, from the Fused perspective, to getting killed. Several people have said that, well, each reincarnation breaks them more, they're going to go mad much faster.

That may well be true. However, I'd like to present an alternative hypothesis: that the mental damage of spending up to nine days in the Everstorm in negligible compared to spending decades or centuries stewing in Odium juice on Braize, which is what happened when they died in previous Desolations. I personally think that repeated deaths this round will have less of an effect on them than their one-and-done deaths in the past.

It would make sense that going through the pain of dying would drive them a little bit more crazy every time they die, but at this point they are already so crazy, I think they’re desensitized. The only problem with dying for them now, is that they have to wait a couple days to come back.

The Fused are pretty much made of Odium's Investiture and so is the Everstorm, so I don't think Braize would be so harmful to them. Also, if that was be the case, Taln's sacrifice should have had a huge impact on the Fused and for now we don't have any evidence for that.

For the record, according to the Stormfather, "each rebirth further injures their minds", so it's entirely possible that it's possessing the Singers that's harmful, not the death itself. I would also assume that the Fused that are still lucid at this point are the ones most resistant to the negative effects of their, let's say, "lifecycle", so the effects of death and rebirth are lessened to some extent

5 hours ago, Hentient said:

It would make sense that going through the pain of dying would drive them a little bit more crazy every time they die, but at this point they are already so crazy, I think they’re desensitized. The only problem with dying for them now, is that they have to wait a couple days to come back.

This is a really valid point. We know from SH that dying is rather unpleasant and I cant imagine getting shoved into a body feels much better.

5 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Don't forget the part where the Fused spiritweb completely destroys/replaces the original Singer's spiritweb.

But is this realy "completely"? Maybe this is what bring them madness - every rebirth adds to their  Spiritweb little part of someone else - literaly the same process as being spiked hemalurgicly.

Edited by Bzhydack