Bonding 2 Highspren?!?

RBwestfan

Question

One of the Words of Brandon i’ve seen was one that asked if one person could bond two high spren. Brandon’s response was something along the lines of: it’s possible but hard because of the tax 2 Nahel bonds has on a spirit web.

My question would be if you could bond two Highspren what two radiant orders would you want to belong to?

(Personally i would choose a Edgedancer and Skybreaker, because those 4 surges together would make an absolute UNIT of a radiant. Additionally, if you swear your Skybreaker oath to a code of helping refugees and the forgotten, I bet your Highsprens would get along pretty well.)

Edited by RBwestfan

9 answers to this question

53 minutes ago, RBwestfan said:

My question would be if you could bond two Highspren what two radiant orders would you want to belong to?

Welcome to the shard and yes.

Questioner

Could someone bond with two spren and wield two swords?

Brandon Sanderson

It is theoretically possible, but the spren aren't going to like it.  So you are not going to see it very often.

Firefight Seattle Public Library signing (Jan. 7, 2015)

2 hours ago, RBwestfan said:

(Personally i would choose a Edgedancer and Skybreaker, because those 4 surges together would make an absolute UNIT of a radiant. Additionally, if you swear your Skybreaker oath to a code of helping refugees and the forgotten, I bet your Highsprens would get along pretty well.)

I think you'd have a lot of trouble doing this specific combination, actually.  at the very least you'd probably need to be a 5th oath skybreaker before you could bond the cultivationspren, because I don't think the early skybreaker oaths are very compatible with edgedancer oaths, but at the 5th oath, you may have some additional freedom.  even then it would be very hard, I think.  and for what its worth there are at least 1 or 2 threads on the stormlight board discussing this sort of thing.

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

you'd probably need to be a 5th oath skybreaker before you could bond the cultivationspren, because I don't think the early skybreaker oaths are very compatible with edgedancer oaths

It depends on who is master of Skybreaker (on 3th oath). If it would be some philantropist, or lord-for-people (like Nohadon) it is probably that following orders of specific person Radiant will atract cultivationspren.

Lightweavers are probably the order that would have the easiest time fitting in for a dual-bond, if only because it wouldn't require multiple (quite possibly conflicting) oaths, but you'd need to find spren willing to tolerate each other. Things seem to be kind of complicated when it comes to other spren and how they see the Crypics (ie, 'they're kind of strange but at least they're not arrogant like honorspren') so that might be a starting barrier, and the way they skirt right on the edge of truth and lies would probably conflict with some other oaths even if the Lightweavers themselves don't swear oaths beyond the First Ideal. But they're flexible enough that it's easier to imagine them playing nice in a double bond hypothetical than some of the other orders.

I do wonder, given how the Radiant quiz makes a point that Dustbringer oaths are focused around using their powers responsibly, if that Order might be compatible with the Skybreakers who are also very big on responsibility even if they approach it from a different angle. Because you want a really scary combination? Someone who can fly and set things on fire, especially if doubling up on a surge provides some sort of boost when using it.

I had a character's top two Orders be Stoneward and Dustbringer. That could be a scary combination, as you can just mess with matter with reckless abandon. I will be where I am needed... and blow things up. And the military order of Stonewards would help a bit with Dustbringer's propensity to... do Dustbringer things.

3 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

It depends on who is master of Skybreaker (on 3th oath). If it would be some philantropist, or lord-for-people (like Nohadon) it is probably that following orders of specific person Radiant will atract cultivationspren.

3rd oath Skybreaker doesn't have to be to a person, it can also be an ideal, even if it's not "the Law". I think a Skybreaker-Edgedancer who swore themselves to justice could be a good defender of the people, ensuring justice exists for all equally. Although that might just be what a good Edgedancer would do.

Any combination that puts Gravitation with Abrasion is also really terrifying. No air resistance means they could outspeed any other Gravitation users (although changing direction would be difficult), and they could skate across surfaces while lashed near-parallel. Really mobile, and whatever other surges their happen to be.

The main KR Quiz lineups I've seen are Windrunner-Edgedancer, Truthwatcher-Elsecaller, and maybe Lightweaver-Willshaper. 

On 8/2/2020 at 5:10 PM, Subvisual Haze said:

Windrunners and Edgedancers seem to have good synergy of oaths, they both focus on helping the vulnerable.

yeah i really like any radiant combination that has the surges of gravitation and abrasion, because i feel like a windrunner/skybreaker would be able to maneuver significantly better by manipulating friction to help with wind resistance.