Chapters 7/8

Pagerunner

I held off on listening to this reading when Sanderson indicated it started at chapter 4.....I didn't know he would read that far up.

My boy Vyre! I thought I would need to wait to get him. I see that his eyes have changed colors. They were green in The Way of Kings, then brown in Words of Radiance, but now back to green. I wonder if that will change for the book release. An all black Alethi uniform seems kind of on the nose.

2 hours ago, Isilel said:

Well, now that we have chapters 2 and 3, it is obvious who Vyre wants to kill once he is "taken prisoner" - Dalinar. Destroying "Fourth Bridge" as a bonus. Thankfully, the Syl Interlude confirms his failure.

This could easily be true and is a scary possibility.  Only problem is how does one kill Dalinar?  I don't think a shardblade will cut it (no pun) and I don't think Kaladin is going to miss I knife.  Maybe it can also be summoned?  Another transport fused will be doing a hand off?

33 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

They were green in The Way of Kings

They were?

5 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

No they were dark green.

Coppermind says otherwise.  It might be wrong but I don't think so.

Moash is lean, though strong, with a narrow face and brown hair speckled with black.[3][2][4] He's born darkeyes, with brown eyes which turn tan after he receives a full set of Shards.[5]

He glanced to the side, noticing that Moash hadn’t left with the other three. The narrow-faced man had dark green eyes and brown hair flecked with black.

I believe this is wrong though. Maybe Brandon Sanderson has some master list that needs to be updated. I dont see why in story Moash's eyes would change from brown to green anyway.

Edited by Nymeros

8 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

I believe this is wrong though. Maybe Brandon Sanderson has some master list that needs to be updated. I dont see why in story Moash's eyes would change from brown to green anyway.

That is odd.

So, I was right on Dalinar and Navani being nearby with a flying ship :P though I wasn't 100% on the reason, I hadn't guessed that they'd planned on evacuating the whole town from the start.

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out, whether they get into the ship quickly and get away smoothly and what exactly Moash does - I hope whatever it is it gets resolved fast - I don't enjoy drawn out traitor plots - Mr T is annoying enough....

7 minutes ago, rjl said:

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out, whether they get into the ship quickly and get away smoothly and what exactly Moash does - I hope whatever it is it gets resolved fast - I don't enjoy drawn out traitor plots - Mr T is annoying enough....

You were right.  I don't think it is reasonable to expect the ship to be completely destroyed.  Too many characters on it.  I do suspect a heavy amount of damage.

3 minutes ago, Karger said:

You were right.  I don't think it is reasonable to expect the ship to be completely destroyed.  Too many characters on it.  I do suspect a heavy amount of damage.

In my mind I'm seeing this whole plot thread as an opening hook (akin to Kaladin's journey with the new Singers in OB) and hence hoping it doesn't drag out. Conversely Brandon may be planning this as a major hiccup that sets up the rest of the book - which would make the logic of it very different.

Edited by rjl

38 minutes ago, rjl said:

In my mind I'm seeing this whole plot thread as an opening hook (akin to Kaladin's journey with the new Singers in OB) and hence hoping it doesn't drag out. Conversely Brandon may be planning this as a major hiccup that sets up the rest of the book - which would make the logic of it very different.

He said that inspiration for this plot structure is RotJ, starting a plot at the end of the rising action of another plot.  I am hopping for some success here although I think it will include some failure.  Given Roshone I think we know it will.

Edited by Karger

On 7/28/2020 at 3:30 PM, Karger said:

Coppermind says otherwise.  It might be wrong but I don't think so.

It was further down:

Moash's eye color is initially (and erroneously) written as dark green in The Way of Kings. In Words of Radiance, his eyes are said to be brown. Peter Ahlstrom has confirmed that Moash's eyes are brown and that the first book is incorrect.[24]

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Moash#Trivia

EDIT:

On 7/28/2020 at 3:53 PM, Nymeros said:

Oh, that could have been easy:  His blade was a Stoneward blade, and we know that when a Darkeyes gets a blade it will both lighten and change their eye color to that of their corresponding order.    

Darkness (paraphrased)

When a darkeyed person obtains a Shardblade. Does their new eye color reflect the specific type of blade they bonded?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes.

Supanova 2017 - Sydney (June 16, 2017)

Edited by Quantus

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

It was further down:

EDIT:

Oh, that could have been easy:  His blade was a Stoneward blade, and we know that when a Darkeyes gets a blade it will both lighten and change their eye color to that of their corresponding order.    

Could have been but they went from dark green to dark brown then to tan and now back to dark green. The light tan comes from the shardblade but thats not in question.

6 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

Could have been but they went from dark green to dark brown then to tan and now back to dark green. The light tan comes from the shardblade but thats not in question.

No that true, the tan vs dark brown is still an issue.  I just meant that there is an in-story reason for eyes to change color from green to brown since blades are confirmed to both lighten and change the color to the blade's former order, at least for a Darkeyes.  

Darkness (paraphrased)

When a darkeyed person obtains a Shardblade. Does their new eye color reflect the specific type of blade they bonded?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes.

This WOB bothers me. Why would a darkeyed person have a drastic eye color switch to the order of the blade, and lighteyes don't? 

Even though this WOB makes it untrue, I was much more comfortable with the thought that darkeyes are like Moash was initially described in WoK - just a really dark shade of a color, like green. And when they're really invested, like when bonding a Shardblade, it causes a temporary/permanent brightening of their eyes. 

This eye color switching and retroactively changing Moash's description just bothers me. I concede defeat though, and trust in Brandon to explain this better via Moash in RoW (fingers crossed).

A simple question that I don't want to read much of this thread for (since I've already accidentally been spoiled in this thread about Roshone's death [and I accidentally clicked on a spoiler in the main Tor chapter releases that also spoiled the same thing]).

Are chapter 7/8 out in text for at all (e.g. a transcript of this video), or would I need to wait on the Tor releases of these chapters to *read* them?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Govir said:

Are chapter 7/8 out in text for at all (e.g. a transcript of this video), or would I need to wait on the Tor releases of these chapters to *read* them?

I do not believe a text form is yet available although someone might have transcribed them.

On 8/4/2020 at 0:58 PM, Requiem17 said:

Even though this WOB makes it untrue, I was much more comfortable with the thought that darkeyes are like Moash was initially described in WoK - just a really dark shade of a color, like green. And when they're really invested, like when bonding a Shardblade, it causes a temporary/permanent brightening of their eyes. 

This eye color switching and retroactively changing Moash's description just bothers me. I concede defeat though, and trust in Brandon to explain this better via Moash in RoW (fingers crossed).

Moving away from Moash specifically here. Basically eye color on Roshar does not work like it does on Earth. Humans there (for the most part) have darkeyes. When a darkeyes becomes a radiant a part of their spiritweb changes and their eyecolor changes to correspond with the Order that they are a part of. Given their spiritweb change when they have kids their kids will have lighteyes of the same color. Their spiritweb capacity for "lighteyedness" is filled. This works the same for getting a shardblade, they bond with it and given enough time their spiritweb will permanently change.

Well, when a lighteyes picks up a shardblade or joins an order of Radiant their "lighteyedness" is alright filled, so their eyes may take on a tinge of the Order's natural color, however, their eyes will not fully change colors.

Since eyecolor is tied directly to their spiritwebs it allows for a higher rate of heterochromacy within darkeyes and lighteyes children.

OK, so now that chapter 6 puts things in context, Leshwi, the teleporter Fused and Moash are clearly all parts of the trap set specifically for Kaladin, right? Either to kill him or to break and convert him. Leshwi lead him to where the teleporter was brutalizing townfolk by the nose, so that the Fused could lure Kal inside and use the fabrial on him, and if that gambit failed, there was Moash lying in wait in the storm cellar. So much for her potentially defecting, at least at this point.

Also, I now tentatively revise my prediction of the unpleasant surprise waiting for Shallan in that hutch from a larkin to another such void fabrial, because I have noticed that there are stormlight lanterns in the chamber, which might either distract a larkin or allow Shallan to refuel quckly enough to survive. But without her surges and Patternblade, Shallan, unlike Kaladin, would be pretty helpless. They'd just need to behead her or inflict a lot of serious wounds quickly enough to overwhelm her capacity for healing.

OMG, just read the Chapter 7 epigraph and literally screamed of emotion. Everybody araound me looked at me like I was crazy. To everybody saying that there was going to be some relation between allomancy and the metals used on the fabrials I'm starting to think u where Right! Zinc and brass allowing to control expression streanght! if u can't see the analogy to allomancy u r trying to miss it. Now I'm extra excited yo read what other kind of metals are used and what effect this has on the spren. This actually is starting to make lots of sense to me: the same way the metals burned by a misting serve as a hey to tell the investidure coming from Preservation what to do, the metals in a fabrial tell the spren what to do with the investidure coming from the stormlight. So cool.