Let's talk COVID-19

Silva

6 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

I'll believe it when I see it. 

As much as I would like the Winds of Winter, I also don't expect it anymore. My guess is it'll be another spin-off/side book/encyclopedia. 

:lol:

Yeah, I don't think we'll see that series finished. Or certain others. *sigh* these statements might be nothing but the cut-flower sounds of a man waiting to die

Edited by Dreamer

The most exciting thing that's happened to me in three weeks was a trip to Walmart, where I found a tiny, expensive bottle of handsoap. I am constantly in a terrible mood because I stay up until 1 in the morning watching movies, then sleep in until 11. On the bright side, it's sunny where I live, except the 30 degree nights. I finished the stack of books I got from the library the day before it closed, so I'm reduced to staring blankly at walls while my dog licks my feet off.

1 hour ago, Merlin said:

The most exciting thing that's happened to me in three weeks was a trip to Walmart, where I found a tiny, expensive bottle of handsoap. I am constantly in a terrible mood because I stay up until 1 in the morning watching movies, then sleep in until 11. On the bright side, it's sunny where I live, except the 30 degree nights. I finished the stack of books I got from the library the day before it closed, so I'm reduced to staring blankly at walls while my dog licks my feet off.

My roommate has you beat. She goes to bed at 6-7am and wakes up around 3-5pm. I'm pretty sure I'm living with a vampire.

Do you have Libby? It's a free app that links to libraries, and your library might be a part of it. It's like a digital library specializing in ebooks and audiobooks. Neither are nearly as wonderful as real, physical books, but it might be more entertaining than the wall. If it's sunny and you live in a good neighborhood, you could take your dog out for a walk and listen to an audiobook! Do you listen to podcasts? 

Also, from a purely selfish viewpoint, I invite you to post a photo of your dog at the "Spread Some Love" thread of pet photos: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/89195-spread-some-cheer-share-your-pet-photos/ 

I love dogs!

5 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

Do you have Libby? It's a free app that links to libraries, and your library might be a part of it. It's like a digital library specializing in ebooks and audiobooks. Neither are nearly as wonderful as real, physical books, but it might be more entertaining than the wall. If it's sunny and you live in a good neighborhood, you could take your dog out for a walk and listen to an audiobook!

Overdrive is a similar thing that I know my local library participates in.  worth checking to see if your does as well.  i'm not a huge fan of ebooks vs regular physical books, but they are a good bit better than nothing, plus I think it is easier and cheaper for the library to acquire the liscnse to an ebook through somethign like overdrive than to get the physical copy sometimes.  certainly takes up less space.

21 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

Do you have Libby? It's a free app that links to libraries, and your library might be a part of it. It's like a digital library specializing in ebooks and audiobooks. Neither are nearly as wonderful as real, physical books, but it might be more entertaining than the wall. If it's sunny and you live in a good neighborhood, you could take your dog out for a walk and listen to an audiobook! Do you listen to podcasts? 

Thanks! I now have something to do!^_^

On 20/03/2020 at 2:44 AM, Hood said:

Education Prospects - C

Employment - C

Friends & Relationships - B

Daily Life - B+

Updates as of 7/4/20 ( 4/7/20 for those in the US).

Education Prospects - B

I got my course deferred to fall. Hope covid-19 situation improves by then. In the meantime, I can proceed to learn some new things, like NodeJS (I'm a Java person).

Employment - B

WFH is surprisingly good. We are having much better coordination whilst being remote than we had earlier. The only downside (and a big one) is I can't go out on breaks with my friends. I miss all that walking in the moonlight in our campus garden having a firm belief that the Latte I'll be having will be the best.

Friends & Relationships - C

This has deteriorated. I talk much less with my friends now. My friends and I developed a misunderstanding which will take some time to clear I hope. When you are face to face with someone misunderstandings get resolved very quickly as compared to when your only mode of contact is a chat app. Tho, I am in better contact with my family now. Video call, when done occasionally is a good thing.

Daily Life - B+

I am surprised at the quality of food that I'm having during lockdown. Earlier we had a cook who used to prepare meal for us. Now my flatmates and I do, and it tastes so good. Oh, and my routine has also got better. I'm no longer the guy who used to sleep at 4 and wake up at 12.

In other news, we had a surge in outbreaks and it has given fodder to conspiracy theorists, fake news, and communal hatred. Rather than coming together to combat this pandemic, people here are busy attacking each other and their communities. :(

Here’s a weird statistic the news keeps saying, mostly about what’s happening in New York. They keep saying that the majority of deaths are from the black and Hispanic communities. If this fact is true what’s causing those communities to contract Corona more than the other races/ethnicities of the city? Some news say it’s because there’s more of these two working in the health industry but but other news sources don’t say that so it’s interesting that the news is targeting these two communities more than the rest, especially when looking on Wikipedia what the racial makeup of the city is and it shows 44% white, 25.5% black, 28.6% hispanic, 12.7% asian and .7% first nations/native american. Looking at that makeup wouldn’t the majority of any single group be white? Where is the news getting their facts from?

4 minutes ago, Draginon said:

Here’s a weird statistic the news keeps saying, mostly about what’s happening in New York. They keep saying that the majority of deaths are from the black and Hispanic communities. If this fact is true what’s causing those communities to contract Corona more than the other races/ethnicities of the city? Some news say it’s because there’s more of these two working in the health industry but but other news sources don’t say that so it’s interesting that the news is targeting these two communities more than the rest, especially when looking on Wikipedia what the racial makeup of the city is and it shows 44% white, 25.5% black, 28.6% hispanic, 12.7% asian and .7% first nations/native american. Looking at that makeup wouldn’t the majority of any single group be white? Where is the news getting their facts from?

It could be from the differences in Hot/Cold cultures.

50 minutes ago, Nameless said:

It could be from the differences in Hot/Cold cultures.

more likely related to wealth disparities.  I don't know how the stats break down in NYC specifically, but across the USA in general black and hispanic people are more likley to be porr as compared to whites and asians.  people who are poor generally 1. don't have as good of options for health care vs wealthier people and 2. are more likely to work in service industry jobs where they can't take time off (don't have the leave and/or can't afford to lose the hours/paycheck) and are thus being exposed to more people. those 2 factors would likely explain a lot of the differences right there

We're rolling out online learning starting Monday.  I've spent the week taking videos of myself teaching (which is super bizarre, I've never done any videos of myself before).  I'm feeling pretty good about the actual content. But I know at least two students don't have internet access. :unsure:

And based on the weather forecast,  a lot of ppl may not have power Monday.  

It’s getting ridiculous the political side of this. The republicans keep trying to get bills through to help the businesses and families that don’t have the money to pay bills, rent and other necessities but the democrats, mostly Pelosi, keep delaying them because of Trump. With the stuff I keep hearing it’s almost like the Democratic Party needs to be disbanded just to keep us all safe.

Cant they just stop all this politicking for the sake of the nation? They can resume it once the pandemic is over.

• 2 months later...

47,000 cases in the U.S. today.  This is unprecedented.  My best (amateur) guess predicts the U.S. medical system breaks down if a 50,000 a day case load lasts for much more than a week.  You are much more likely to get infected now compared to two weeks ago.  If you do get infected now, you have markedly less chance of treatment and recovery.   My friends, if you have the financial and emotional resources to quarantine yourselves and your family, please it has never been more important.  

• 2 weeks later...