Why isn't the Stormfather red?

Necessary Eagle

1 hour ago, Karger said:

It will take me some time to check.  I will message you when/if I find the correct WoB(s)

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Awesome.  I really appreciate it, thanks. 

The questioner was discussing oathgates, so that term brings it up. WoB below:

Questioner

Did humans come to Roshar through Shadesmar?

Brandon Sanderson

It is technology or magic closer to how the Oathgates work. But it was like that. It's not canon but right now that's what I have. It's not canon because there are certain things I have to work out before that can work...

By the way I'll just say to the tape recording that I haven't canonized, like for instance if they traveled to Shadesmar to get to Shinovar from Ashyn. Right now I have that not being via Shadesmar, but the mechanics of that might not work out, and I might have to default to Shadesmar. So there's certain things, you'll see, where I say, "This isn't the canon answer, it's where I have things right now."

Overlord Jebus

So Urithiru might end up being a spaceship after all.

Brandon Sanderson

It's not that. Right now I have them using something closer to Oathgating, but it opens up a huge can of worms, when I'm not requiring direct-- When I'm sending through Spiritual Realm it opens up cans of worms, and I have to just make sure the mechanics on that are tight before I do it.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

1 hour ago, Karger said:

This is one of several WoBs but it is a good one.  Thanks for saving me some time.

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

The questioner was discussing oathgates, so that term brings it up. WoB below:

Questioner

Did humans come to Roshar through Shadesmar?

Brandon Sanderson

It is technology or magic closer to how the Oathgates work. But it was like that. It's not canon but right now that's what I have. It's not canon because there are certain things I have to work out before that can work...

By the way I'll just say to the tape recording that I haven't canonized, like for instance if they traveled to Shadesmar to get to Shinovar from Ashyn. Right now I have that not being via Shadesmar, but the mechanics of that might not work out, and I might have to default to Shadesmar. So there's certain things, you'll see, where I say, "This isn't the canon answer, it's where I have things right now."

Overlord Jebus

So Urithiru might end up being a spaceship after all.

Brandon Sanderson

It's not that. Right now I have them using something closer to Oathgating, but it opens up a huge can of worms, when I'm not requiring direct-- When I'm sending through Spiritual Realm it opens up cans of worms, and I have to just make sure the mechanics on that are tight before I do it.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

You are both Awesome, thanks a ton.  

When I suggested that the Ten Cities where originally from Ashyn, I was imagining the same thing @Karger was suggesting, which was the idea that they used the Oathgates to transport the entire city.  While I was suggesting that the Cities were originally the Ashyn Flying Cities and had been brought here as part of the Migration, I was still imaging some sort of teleportation effect, not Bubble-Doming the cities off for a Spaceship migration through the Physical Realm.  But if they already had mobile cities as well as enough Surgebinding and realmic knowledge to make Oathgate-esk tech, it doesnt seem like a huge leap that they might use those cities as realmic life-rafts for their planet's fleeing population.

The cities' placement makes that feel unlikely to me- they're scattered all over the continent, not confined to the territory the humans were originally given. Which I suppose isn't disqualifying by itself- maybe they conquered the continent before they forgot how to move the cities- but it still doesn't feel right to me.

(My working theory, by the way, is that Urithiru and the Oathgates were constructed by the Radiants, but the other ten cities were made by Adonalsium just after he created the continent itself)

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 8:44 AM, Quantus said:

True, but we're talking about the back half of Stormlight, which if Im not mistaken is going to happen a good bit down the road in terms of overall cosmere publication timeline.  We know there will be heaving worldhopping in Scadrial era4, and a decent chance at it playing a role in Era3.  Besides that Roshar is really the only other one with established worldhopping with all the Shadesmar spren civilization and trade routes (and whatnot). Worldhopping is going to have to start playing a bigger role, if only to give a chance to establish its rules before things start to really get moving on endgame story lines. 

Last I heard the back half are a fairly short time after, like maybe 30 years.  And the Stormlight Archive is supposed to be self-contained so that Cosmere knowledge is not needed to enjoy the series.  Mistborn Era 4 is where the main Cosmere end game will happen (as further evidenced by Secret History, which targets die hard fans).

• Chaos locked this topic