Axies is in the Endgame now

Toaster Retribution

I think Axies will die, pretty soon. Reasons:

1. Brandon specifically says that he will appear again but briefly. WoBs (bolded by me):

Will we be seeing more of Axies the Collector?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but briefly. Axies probably won't get another-- Maybe there'll be another interlude from Axies' viewpoint. Maybe. He's just around to have fun.

And: 

Questioner

I was wondering if we're gonna be seeing more Axies?

Brandon Sanderson

More Axies the Collector? Yes. Just a little bit more.

Brandon seems intent on making it clear that there will be just a tiny bit more of Axies. To me that implies a clear plan for Axies. If Axies is just around to have fun, then why would Brandon be so intent on saying that he would just be around a little bit more. If he was a random fun guy, he would most likely appear now and then, and Brandon wouldnt be saying things like ”just a bit more”. 

There is clearly a plan for Axies, and that plan involves just a little bit more from him. Thus, the logical approach is that he will die. And who will kill him? I think either Odium or the Ghostbloods. We will get to see how you kill an Aimian, and Axies will be the one who dies. 

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Brandon seems intent on making it clear that there will be just a tiny bit more of Axies. To me that implies a clear plan for Axies. If Axies is just around to have fun, then why would Brandon be so intent on saying that he would just be around a little bit more. If he was a random fun guy, he would most likely appear now and then, and Brandon wouldnt be saying things like ”just a bit more”. 

There is clearly a plan for Axies, and that plan involves just a little bit more from him. Thus, the logical approach is that he will die. And who will kill him? I think either Odium or the Ghostbloods. We will get to see how you kill an Aimian, and Axies will be the one who dies. 

Or maybe he will just fulfill his purpose and then return to looking for horizon spren.

41 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I really dont see Brandon delivering such an absolute statement if that was the case, especially since Axies is a character who can feasibly pop up anywhere.

Maybe he will have to go off world.  He does not have to die.

I really don’t want him to die he’s one of my favorite minor characters, and I don’t see a reason to kill him when “he’s just around to have fun.” Few if any people have an emotional attachment to him, so killing him wouldn’t have a big impact. I think he’ll just fade away cause there are other minor characters Brandon wants to showcase.

As an aside if we ever get a Cosmere Silmarillion (of course written by Khriss) I’d love to have the chapter on spren influenced  by Axie’s studies.

3 hours ago, RShara said:

I don't think people have to die in order to not get any more viewpoints. There are a lot of characters that are only around for a bit of flavor or worldbuilding, and then aren't important any more.

3 hours ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

I really don’t want him to die he’s one of my favorite minor characters, and I don’t see a reason to kill him when “he’s just around to have fun.” Few if any people have an emotional attachment to him, so killing him wouldn’t have a big impact. I think he’ll just fade away cause there are other minor characters Brandon wants to showcase.

Exactly!

4 hours ago, RShara said:

I don't think people have to die in order to not get any more viewpoints. There are a lot of characters that are only around for a bit of flavor or worldbuilding, and then aren't important any more.

He said that we wont see him more. Not just that there wont be POVs, but we wont see him.

And just for the record, I love Axies.

3 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

He said that we wont see him more. Not just that there wont be POVs, but we wont see him.

Have you seen Tvlakv recently?  He is not dead. What about Relis?  What about his cousin Elit? 

Edited by Karger

11 minutes ago, Bigmikey357 said:

Just to add to this, isn't Axies functionally immortal? I'm not sure if there are many things that actually could kill him. Maybe one of the MC's could do it but why would they?

Unless Odium or the ghoostbloods have a vested intrastate in him being then I think he will be fine yeah

14 hours ago, Bigmikey357 said:

Just to add to this, isn't Axies functionally immortal? I'm not sure if there are many things that actually could kill him. Maybe one of the MC's could do it but why would they?

That is my point - I doubt that Axies (or other aimians) are unkillable. I think that everything in the Cosmere can be destroyed in some way. If Adonalsium could be Shattered, Axies can die too. 

16 hours ago, Karger said:

Have you seen Tvlakv recently?  He is not dead. What about Relis?  What about his cousin Elit? 

Axies is one of few characters that has been mentioned or appeared in every Stormlight book (even Edgedancer). He has a clear personality and is written to be very intriguing. This is not the case with Tvlakv, Elit or Relis. Furthermore, we dont know wether they will appear again or not, because no one cares enough about them to ask. 

15 hours ago, RShara said:

Or Ishikk, or Baxil, or Geranid, to name some other Interlude characters.

These were all one off appearances, never to be seen again. Axies is a recurring character. 

15 hours ago, Karger said:

Clearly they must have all been killed.

Yup, very likely. 

14 minutes ago, Karger said:

Appeared in SA 1 and 2.  That makes him a

so he must be dead now.

Yup, because I’m saying that all recurring characters has to be dead. RIP Roshar.

What I’m really trying to say is that Brandon has made a very clear statement on Axies (we wont see much more of him) despite the fact that he can feasibly appear a lot. In fact, if he remains alive it would be wierd if we didnt see him more considering how much he knows about spren but most likely about the history of Roshar as well. 

36 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Yup, because I’m saying that all recurring characters has to be dead. RIP Roshar.

What I’m really trying to say is that Brandon has made a very clear statement on Axies (we wont see much more of him) despite the fact that he can feasibly appear a lot. In fact, if he remains alive it would be wierd if we didnt see him more considering how much he knows about spren but most likely about the history of Roshar as well. 

It's possible that by "a little a bit" Sanderson meant that we might see him in the background throughout several books, but that he probably won't get another POV chapter. I don't think that it necessarily means that he'll have some brief but important scene. I mean, all your points about him being around a lot would still apply to the other books, but we still only see him once. He's a background character that only shows up a little bit.

Ok so I don't know if someone has suggested this before, but I suspect that the beggar Axies encountered in Kasitor (Interlude 1-5) might be a herald. Kalak, perhaps? His actions seem similar to Jezrien's as a beggar in Kholinar. Nale says that all the other heralds have lost their minds, except Ishar. He could just be a throwaway character, but it seems like possibly foreshadowing to me.

On 9/5/2019 at 11:26 PM, Renarin Kholin said:

Ok so I don't know if someone has suggested this before, but I suspect that the beggar Axies encountered in Kasitor (Interlude 1-5) might be a herald. Kalak, perhaps? His actions seem similar to Jezrien's as a beggar in Kholinar. Nale says that all the other heralds have lost their minds, except Ishar. He could just be a throwaway character, but it seems like possibly foreshadowing to me.

We are pretty sure that Kelek is not a beggar as he was(probably) seen in Kolinar with Nale

Edited by Karger

• Chaos locked this topic