Kestrel's Art Gallery (image heavy) (Updated: 8/6)

Kestrel

Kestrel's Art Gallery

_wor__falka_by_ordinaryredtail_dd7wz3w-fullview.thumb.png.cd0ce99a1759b53bab5ede14e77f3341.png

Hello! My name is Sarah or Kestrel. I've had a few galleries on her over the years, but I figure starting clean would be the best, as my work has improved a bit since then. A short list of things about my work:

• I draw mainly nature and animals. I would like to work more on drawing people, but I don't enjoy it as much as animals. My main subjects are birds, or my own characters.
  • I'm 20, and have been drawing since I was around nine years old. I have no formal art training, save for two college courses I took last year for my own personal enrichment.
  • I am a member of several art roleplaying groups, so a good portion of my artwork comes from those. 
  • I do digital art mainly, as I don't have the space to do traditional work in my apartment. I use a Surface Pro computer with Photoshop CC and Paint Tool SAI 2.
  • The name I do art under is "ordinaryredtail." This is my deviantart and tumblr, which are active, and twitter and facebook, which aren't that active.

On Requests: I do not do personal requests. That being said, I do want to work on people, so feel free to request any Cosmere related stuff from me. I won't make promises that I'll finish them, since I have a bit of a busy schedule.

I also am doing a daily challenge. Every day, I am doing my best to draw a landscape a day. I have limited it to 20-30 minutes at a time, to keep myself loose and from spending too much time on them. I won't post all of them here in this post, but as I do them in the future they will be posted here!

I decided to put the rest of the images under a spoiler tag, that way it doesn't stretch the page too much!

You can see my full gallery on my deviantart, here: https://www.deviantart.com/ordinaryredtail

Spoiler

light_of_the_night__edit__by_ordinaryredtail_db1ufqz-fullview.thumb.jpg.b5b1a89b7c90fdfc1acd24e4b419b6d4.jpg harris_hawk_by_ordinaryredtail_db3tud3-pre.thumb.jpg.1faf7de87453c065f9107314f50dc2a0.jpg

cm___pandora_by_ordinaryredtail_dcs95yl-fullview.thumb.png.43b4aaa26f5ef7598fde7850807021cf.pnghawk_s_sunset_by_ordinaryredtail_dctgl2e-fullview.thumb.jpg.1924f166a6e2f3e19452b95d17ed3945.jpg

harper_by_ordinaryredtail_dcwgza9-pre.thumb.jpg.c70bac13282220e8d3629f092411528e.jpg

dcy93wz-e3d42fa2-1706-47ce-bae6-40ee200c5a79.thumb.png.f3c3527fa339527bc65b3c44475deda5.pngthe_little_prince_by_ordinaryredtail_dd1dphw-pre.thumb.jpg.aa20ca8c5b4a31c1f89ea83440187e12.jpg

starlit_serenity_by_ordinaryredtail_dcvhnpu-pre.thumb.jpg.9391ee461bf105288636346ad76230ab.jpg_ds__under_purple_skies_by_ordinaryredtail_dd4uhvy-pre.thumb.png.e68ddd57c8121b81f318ca9789540b1e.png

Edited by Kestrel

Very nice! I don't have a request - I don't have enough money to make a request :-P - but I do have a suggestion. You mentioned you want to do more people art, but don't enjoy it as much as animal art. Have you considered drawing mythical half-human half-animals, such as centaurs, etc., or animals turning into people or vice versa? Cosmere wise, this could even be for example TenSoon turning from a dog into a human, for example. Thanks for sharing this art, I really like it, and good luck!

21 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Well, those are amazing. :o

It's good to have you back! I can tell you've improved quite a bit (not that you were bad before or anything ;)) and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you create!

Thank you! It feels good to be back and share more stuff with you!

10 hours ago, Ixthos said:

Very nice! I don't have a request - I don't have enough money to make a request :-P - but I do have a suggestion. You mentioned you want to do more people art, but don't enjoy it as much as animal art. Have you considered drawing mythical half-human half-animals, such as centaurs, etc., or animals turning into people or vice versa? Cosmere wise, this could even be for example TenSoon turning from a dog into a human, for example. Thanks for sharing this art, I really like it, and good luck!

Ah! If its Cosmere related (like a character or scene from one of the books), it's free! I just won't do stuff like original characters for free. I don't see myself enjoying stuff like that either; I do anthros sometimes, but not a lot. I drew TenSoon a long time ago as well! He's fun to draw, so I could try that.

--

Today's landscape speedpaint:

sp8.thumb.png.ab85463c592144ebba99c7fd045c5b19.png

I spent 40 minutes on it instead of the 20.

Next time that happens someone come smack me.

• 2 weeks later...

First off: Your art is awesome! The lighting and shadows are very well done, the anatomy is correct, and the colors are excellent. As a fan of more comic-y styles (tamisrandom or rebelflet on Tumblr), the lack of linework makes things a little less good, though I'm incredibly picky when it comes to art, so... don't listen to me about that. 

On 7/7/2019 at 5:41 PM, Kestrel said:

light_of_the_night__edit__by_ordinaryredtail_db1ufqz-fullview.thumb.jpg.b5b1a89b7c90fdfc1acd24e4b419b6d4.jpg

Second off: Out of the paintings you posted here, the wolf one in the spoiler tag is my favorite. It has linework and correct anatomy (yeah, yeah... I'm obsessive about anatomy), and I love wolves, and the color scheme fits. 

14 hours ago, Kestrel said:

66403292_561732744634820_7242114571081613312_n.thumb.jpg.5f2a1f8bab691a01324377b545f84b69.jpg

Third off: I love the painting of the evergreens and night sky. The contrast is excellent. 

Thanks for showing us the art! It's really cool to see how other artists' styles affect how their works look.

You could always mess around with some Cosmere landscapes :) Neither Elantris nor The Emperor's Soul have much, but all the other books I can think of have good stuff in them, and I've seen far fewer illustrations of environments than of people.

On 7/16/2019 at 8:42 PM, Ax's Boyfriend said:

I have to say, this is my favorite by far. Excellent art, good uses of my favorite colors (purple and black)

Thank you! That one was quite fun to do. That was actually the first large piece on the Surface tablet I did.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:01 AM, Ark's Boyfriend said:

First off: Your art is awesome! The lighting and shadows are very well done, the anatomy is correct, and the colors are excellent. As a fan of more comic-y styles (tamisrandom or rebelflet on Tumblr), the lack of linework makes things a little less good, though I'm incredibly picky when it comes to art, so... don't listen to me about that. 

Second off: Out of the paintings you posted here, the wolf one in the spoiler tag is my favorite. It has linework and correct anatomy (yeah, yeah... I'm obsessive about anatomy), and I love wolves, and the color scheme fits. 

Third off: I love the painting of the evergreens and night sky. The contrast is excellent. 

Thanks for showing us the art! It's really cool to see how other artists' styles affect how their works look.

Ah, thanks! I don't do comic-y or lined styles much. They are harder for me, and I can't hack it. My linework is extremely messy and cell-style shading is... it looks bad when I attempt it. Not clean at all aha. I would like to one day do it, but painting is more fun for me, and it looks good when I do it, aha.

On 7/18/2019 at 5:01 PM, Wyndlerunner said:

As a bird lover, I am currently dying of happiness! these are so good! Far better than my incredibly meager drawing skills.;)

Thanks! But I bet your art is lovely too!

On 7/19/2019 at 8:35 AM, Argent said:

You could always mess around with some Cosmere landscapes :) Neither Elantris nor The Emperor's Soul have much, but all the other books I can think of have good stuff in them, and I've seen far fewer illustrations of environments than of people.

Oh, that's a good idea! I really want to do a Mistborn painting, but I keep loading myself in commissions, so I haven't had the time. I thought I'd get a break this week but nope, found some more. lol. Hopefully soon.

12 minutes ago, Kestrel said:

Thank you! That one was quite fun to do. That was actually the first large piece on the Surface tablet I did.

Ah, thanks! I don't do comic-y or lined styles much. They are harder for me, and I can't hack it. My linework is extremely messy and cell-style shading is... it looks bad when I attempt it. Not clean at all aha. I would like to one day do it, but painting is more fun for me, and it looks good when I do it, aha.

Thanks! But I bet your art is lovely too!

Oh, that's a good idea! I really want to do a Mistborn painting, but I keep loading myself in commissions, so I haven't had the time. I thought I'd get a break this week but nope, found some more. lol. Hopefully soon.

You'd be surprised ;)

2 hours ago, Kestrel said:

Yeah, art is different for everyone.

9 hours ago, Kestrel said:

Hopefully soon indeed :)

• 3 weeks later...