Preservation and Allomancy

Not-So-Logicalspren

This is probably a pointless post as there is a lot of evidence that goes contrary to this, but it has never made sense to me that Allomancy is the investiture granted through preservation.  Feruchemy seems a much better fit, as there is no net power gained or lost, all is perfectly preserved.  

My understanding of things isn’t that great, but from what I’ve read Allomancy is of Preservation, Hemalurgy is of Ruin, and Feruchemy exists as some sort of interaction between Ruin and Preservation.  The way that the shards work though makes it seem like Allomancy should be the combo power, and Feruchemy should come from Preservation.  Am I alone in thinking this, or am I just slightly crazy?

I understand that, and I know without a doubt Allomancy is of Preservation, I just think it’s weird that Preservation would design investiture like that when there’s one that exists on the world that he helped create that more closely aligns with his shard’s intent.  

Granted, this could just be because I don’t really know how investiture works

Edited by Gkords

The magic systems seem more to be something organically grown due to the interaction between the Shard(s) and the planet, rather than something that they design. I sort of agree with you, but the way it's been explained to me is that with Allomancy, you're "preserving" yourself. With Feruchemy, you're ruining yourself temporarily to enhance yourself later. Hemalurgy, of course, is obvious.

Look at it from the users perspective

Allomancy preserves the users power, gaining extra power from Preservation instead. Feruchemy uses power at a normal efficiency, savings it for later, but nothing is actually gained or lost in the process. And hemalurgy loses power in the process, so less efficiency.

As stated in the Mistborn Ars Arcanum -

Allomancy creates more power than you put in - that comes from Preservation.

Hemalurgy results in a loss of power - hence Ruin.

Feruchemy neither creates nor loses power, and thus it is the balance between the powers.

Also - maybe more fundamentally - the Shards have to do with how you get the power in the first place.

Allomancy (usually) requires surviving a traumatic event of some sort - Snapping.

Hemalurgy (usually if not always) requires killing someone else to gain the power.

This seems to apply to the other magic systems as well - you get Surgebinding by swearing oaths, you have to be given Breaths (Endowment) to do much of anything useful with Awakening, etc.

• Chaos locked this topic