Realmatic Theory

Stormgate

Question

I was out of the 17th Shard loop for a few years, so I'm hoping to get caught up on what we know. What revelations in Shardic theory, Realmatic theory, how Investiture works, and more have been revealed from August 2016-August 2018?

Don't be afraid of any spoilers.

7 answers to this question

That's... A big question to try an answer I think. A lot of the fundamentals are the same... But there have been some rather large revelations. I'm not sure where to begin.

Edit: Honestly, some of the biggest revelations come from WoBs. You might be best off just going to Arcanum and reading from the point you left onward. 

Edited by Calderis

To summarize what I know:

Three Realms, physical, cognitive, spiritual

Investiture helps pierce all three

Most Investiture resides in the Spiritual Realm, besides Sel

The Cognitive Realm changes from planet to planet, is shaped by people's perceptions

I know about Adonalsium, the Shattering.

Shards I know about in depth:

Preservation (Leras) & Ruin (Ati), Harmony (Sazed)

Honor (Tanavast)

Cultivation (Unknown name)

Endowment (Edgli)

Odium (Rayse)

Devotion and Dominion (Aona and Skaze)

I've read Secret History and Oathbringer, and understand the implications of that. I'm mainly looking for WoB answers, like:
What is Hoid's mission? (I'm guessing we have a big fat RAFO on that)

Is there anything new to know about aluminum?

What new Shards do we know of? (Names, planets, etc).

30 minutes ago, Stormgate said:

Is there anything new to know about aluminum?

It still seems basically resistant to all types of magic even atium, it was used for Nightblood's sheath that is about everything we know.

30 minutes ago, Stormgate said:

What new Shards do we know of? (Names, planets, etc).

Ambition is responsible in some way for the shades of Therondy (hope I spelled that right) she was also shattered by Odium and we know her name.  Look her up most of what we know is from Arcanum Unbound.

Edited by Karger

@Stormgate and Autonomy (Bavadin) who is the Shard in residence on Taldain, the White Sand world, and the most likely candidate for Trell... In a weird way.

Autonomy is producing something called "Avatars" throughout the Cosmere that are in some way an extension of the Shard itself. Patji is one of these. It's heavily theorized that Trell is another. 

There's some mindblowing weird WoBs on Autonomy. 

Edited by Calderis

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

With aluminum and Mistborn, I know that it makes the metals and stuff all go away, but if someone has toxic metal, would that also make it go away?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

It has to be Allomantically relevant.

Orem Signing (March 16, 2019)

Is [Hoid] ever actually what he's actually like in any of the books? I thought Way of Kings would be it, but I'm not sure.

Wit is very similar to the real Hoid. He's worked a long time to build a place for himself where he can kinda be himself. I mean, when you see his book from his viewpoint, he'll feel very like Wit from Stormlight.

With aluminum resisting Shardblades, could you plate Shardplate with aluminum and have extra resistance, or would that be too thin to really even do anything?

This would probably not be very effective. Maybe in modern times, you could, but honestly you'd be better off just building aluminum armor for someone else. It's not gonna add too much to the Shardplate and to what the Shardplate's already doing and it might just interfere too much with what you're trying to do anyway. It would be worth experimenting with, but I don't think it's gonna end up doing too much.

Wyndlerunner [PENDING REVIEW]

You've mentioned in the past aluminum savants being able to somewhat heal their spiritweb, healing them of the cracks, sort of healing them of Allomancy. Could a chromium savant do this to other people, kind of like in the Avatar [The Last Airbender] finale where he seals bending?

I will say RAFO, but I will say you're theorizing along correct directions.

You've said before Hoid has had many love interests throughout his life. Does he have a bunch of distant descendants running around the cosmere?

RAFO.