Hoid Counterpart RAFO

Cosmernaut

I was reading the more recent wob and someone asked if Hoid had a black haired counterpart. It was RAFO'd which I thought was pretty interesting, and this was something I never really considered. Is Hoid having a counterpart a common fan theory around here? If not, what do you guys think of the idea that there's an anti-Hoid out there?

5 minutes ago, RShara said:

I hadn't heard the theory before, myself. But please remember that RAFO can mean anything from "Oh that's a juicy secret" to "I want to see what happens when the fanbase gets ahold of this RAFO."

I'm aware but it sure is working. My mind is sort of racing wondering why he RAFO'd this. If his goal was "I want to see what happens when the fanbase gets ahold of this RAFO", then, at least for me, mission accomplished.

Well Hoid does dye his hair black while posing as Wit, though he is described or seen as white-haired elsewhere on Roshar (swimming out of the depths of the Horneater Ocean, jumping into the mouth of a greatshell, etc.).

Maybe he's not dyeing the hair, it turns black under certain conditions when he reverses himself in some way! LOL. (No way.)

Well there is the Hema-Hoid theory

Questioner

If Hemalurgy can be used to transfer Investiture regardless of the planet, is someone gathering pieces of different Investitures the way Hoid got, for example, the Lerasium bead?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Warsaw signing (March 18, 2017)

Don't know if that's really a "counterpart" though. 

Edited by Calderis

I doubt there is anything to this. Here is the original quote:

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Is Hoid's hair color naturally white?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, now.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Now? Does he have a counterpart who has black hair somewhere?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

RAFO.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/385-orem-signing/

It just think Sanderson meant that it was white now because of age, but not white always because he was not born with white hair.

4 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I believe this has been refuted.

Ruro272 (paraphrased)

Does Hoid have a Hemalurgically charged Nicrosil spike?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

It's... unlikely. Hoid would not want to open himself to the influence of Shards so using Hemalurgy on himself is unlikely. Although Hemalurgy is the easiest way to get other powers, he'd more likely do things the hard way.

16 hours ago, Cosmernaut said:

Maybe everything Hoid does, except they're a bigger jerk about it. He probably calls himself Dioh (Brando).

If this means we get an animated series about Hoid's mirror universe twin (does he have a goatee? That's always a giveaway) and Dioh is voiced by Takehito Koyasu, I'm all for that. :D

On 3/19/2019 at 6:23 PM, Calderis said:

Don't know if that's really a "counterpart" though. 

If that's true, I would think he must have started after Ati's death. I sure wouldn't want that guy controlling me. I can totally imagine this guy becoming best friends with Sazed though! 

14 hours ago, The Ryshadium said:

If that's true, I would think he must have started after Ati's death. I sure wouldn't want that guy controlling me. I can totally imagine this guy becoming best friends with Sazed though! 

Could it be Marsh?  

2 minutes ago, Lidolas said:

Could it be Marsh?  

Wow, I didn't even consider that! Imagine Marsh getting all of the other magic systems spiked into him. He kind of has nothing to lose. Harmony can already control him, so he might as well become one of the most powerful non-shards in the Cosmere......For some reason, the thought of Marsh lightweaving strikes me as completely ridiculous. Haha.

• Chaos locked this topic