Fantasy World planning

xinoehp512

On the subject of a GM, I don’t think we should need one once things get started. People can bring their own characters to the scene and we as a community can try and develope a story as it moves along, a bit like the reckoners RP. 

For OOC stuff let’s just stick to using this thread. 

1 minute ago, MacThorstenson said:

On the subject of a GM, I don’t think we should need one once things get started. People can bring their own characters to the scene and we as a community can try and develope a story as it moves along, a bit like the reckoners RP. 

For OOC stuff let’s just stick to using this thread. 

If we're going like the reckoners RP for developing the story we do need to make sure we communicate our ideas though, and not have secret plot twists going on, or at least keep them small. Otherwise we'll probably just end up with a giant confused train-wreck for a plot.

3 minutes ago, kenod said:

If we're going like the reckoners RP for developing the story we do need to make sure we communicate our ideas though, and not have secret plot twists going on, or at least keep them small. Otherwise we'll probably just end up with a giant confused train-wreck for a plot.

That would be perfect. 

Honestly the amount of people trying to do big plot reveals in the main RP is really annoying. 

Just now, MacThorstenson said:

That would be perfect. 

Honestly the amount of people trying to do big plot reveals in the main RP is really annoying. 

Probably a result of the entire original concept being build around the idea of larger groups spying on each other, and creating secret plans. Era 1 still worked because Mraize had already created a plot and actually shared the basics with us, which gave a good guide-line to work with, but Era 2 messed it up because everyone tried to create their own plots, and Era 3 decided to continue it by letting the original main plot slide away, though it still isn't that bad, and the new universes might help with averting more gambit pileups/train-wrecks.

Just now, Invocation said:

Out of curiosity, would I be able to make a character for this section that is the Genius Loci of an intersection of ley lines?

It's possible, but they also would likely not be able to leave that location. At least, that's how I would interpret it. They are the spirit of a place, and are therefore rather stuck.

2 minutes ago, kenod said:

Probably a result of the entire original concept being build around the idea of larger groups spying on each other, and creating secret plans. Era 1 still worked because Mraize had already created a plot and actually shared the basics with us, which gave a good guide-line to work with, but Era 2 messed it up because everyone tried to create their own plots, and Era 3 decided to continue it by letting the original main plot slide away, though it still isn't that bad, and the new universes might help with averting more gambit pileups/train-wrecks.

Yeah. 

The mod team is working on getting a main plot going for E3, or at least some plot. 

Just now, ZincAboutIt said:

It's possible, but they also would likely not be able to leave that location. At least, that's how I would interpret it. They are the spirit of a place, and are therefore rather stuck.

I'm okay with that if it's allowed.

I like my characters to have their place and more-or-less stay there. 

Edited by Invocation

5 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Out of curiosity, would I be able to make a character for this section that is the Genius Loci of an intersection of ley lines?

Technically yes, but it wouldn't be a good idea, since the whole thing behind a Genius Loci is that they can't move away from their home-turf, and inside of it they have enough control over the place that you'd be effectively having a Mac tier character.

Edited by kenod

1 minute ago, kenod said:

Technically yes, but it wouldn't be a good idea, since the whole thing behind a Genius Loci is that they can't move away from their home-turf, and inside of it they have enough control over the place that you'd be effectively have a Mac tier character.

What if I'm okay with them not leaving? I like stability with my characters, which is why Malu pretty much doesn't leave the Tavern. I like them to be in their place. If you would prefer for me to just not be a Genius Loci for plot reasons or something, tell me.

2 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Submit what you're thinking and we'll see what's up! ^_^ 

Submit here or on the character doc first?

2 minutes ago, Invocation said:

What if I'm okay with them not leaving? I like stability with my characters, which is why Malu pretty much doesn't leave the Tavern. I like them to be in their place. If you would prefer for me to just not be a Genius Loci for plot reasons or something, tell me.

You can do both, but submitting here is important so we can discuss. Also, since the plot is starting in the capital city of Roshek, your Genius Loci wouldn't really be in the story unless they were in the city, which would effectively make the city under your character's total control. It would be a difficult thing to make work... 

2 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Mostly because it'll either leave you with little ability to interact with the plot, or because if you have a Genius Loci with a large enough reach to be active in the plot, they are strong enough to have a high risk of becoming a Deus Ex Machina. For example, the current plot is going to happen inside the city, so your Genius Loci would probably be connected to at least a decent part of it, and basically have perfect knowledge of what is happening, and full control over that part of the city.

5 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Here first. The character doc doesn't give notifications if something is updated, and everyone is much more likely to view this thread.

1 minute ago, ZincAboutIt said:

You can do both, but submitting here is important so we can discuss. Also, since the plot is starting in the capital city of Roshek, your Genius Loci wouldn't really be in the story unless they were in the city, which would effectively make the city under your character's total control. It would be a difficult thing to make work... 

1 minute ago, kenod said:

Mostly because it'll either leave you with little ability to interact with the plot, or because if you have a Genius Loci with a large enough reach to be active in the plot, they are strong enough to have a high risk of becoming a Deus Ex Machina. For example, the current plot is going to happen inside the city, so your Genius Loci would probably be connected to at least a decent part of it, and basically have perfect knowledge of what is happening, and full control over that part of the city.

Here first. The character doc doesn't give notifications if something is updated, and everyone is much more likely to view this thread.

Fair to both of those. I'll leave the Loci for later and go a different direction for now.

I was told to post my character here. If there is somewhere else then let me know.

Mutig Bärin the grizzly.

Name: Mutig Bärin

Species: grizzly bear

Physical Characteristics: 12 feet tall (on his hind legs), weighs about 900 pounds, grayish/brown fur, thick skin, strong and healthy. Deep blue eyes, sharp teeth.

Investure: Natural magic, Apex bear, powerful roar that can be heard for miles enhanced sniffing capability.

Personality:  See's himself as a symbol of justice. Tends to study those around himself. Likes being with children, as they don't fear him as much as adults do. Will wait until a fight is at its height, then goes directly for the enemy leader, caring little for who he tramples in his wake. Is fascinated by ritual magic.

Skills: learning the language of Kuria. Has a powerful bite that will break bones and ruin armor. His muscles are strong enough to send grown men flying for a few yards. His roar has the commanding authority to strike fear in the hearts of men.

Weakness: suffers from a mangled back paw since he was young. Can't see well, his lack of human ways of thinking can lead to him irritated and sometimes even angry. Although he is most times calm, he will lose his calm at the mere mention of a cult following (due to his past encounters with cults). Considers most other animals and monsters as weak, making him vulnerable to traps.

Backstory: Mutig was found by a village in a trap, his hind leg had been broken and he was in agony. the locals guardian, who could speak with animals and understand them, decided to take him in and nurture him to health, seeing it as the right thing to do. After Mutig had healed, she (the guardian) tried releasing him back into the wild, but he wouldn't leave the village, staying close to the first person who found him( the town's guardian). Soon the village began praising him as a guardian, and when monsters attacked the village, he and the guardian fought with all they had.  The locals called them hero's, they said Mutig was unbreakable, crafting him slowly into the protector they hoped for. They (the guardian and Mutig) were inseparable, that is until the day she(the guardian) was killed by a group of people who called themselves profits for the God of Kuria. Mutig responded by killing the profits, sparing not one of them. This began his new legend as a vengeful guardian. He was sent by the village of brat (the small marker in northern Kuria, I couldn't read the name, sorry) to inform the capital of bandits growing bolder and raiding the country, slowly establishing forts along the river.

let me know if this is balanced ( I was really trying) and if he is okay to use. If not, I can think of something else to use.

11 minutes ago, Chasmfiend#1 said:

I was told to post my character here. If there is somewhere else then let me know.

This is the perfect place to post! Thank you!

In terms of the prophets who attacked the guardian of your character - are you referring to the Orthodoxy? Or were they another more vigilantist group who wanted to kill Mutig (also totally plausible)? I just want to keep things straight here in that regard. 

EDIT: sorry, I just re-read through your last paragraph. However, it is very likely that your character will come in contact with worshipers of one god or another in the capital, so just keep that in mind. 

Edited by ZincAboutIt

5 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

In terms of the prophets who attacked the guardian of your character - are you referring to the Orthodoxy? Or were they another more vigilantist group who wanted to kill Mutig (also totally plausible)? I just want to keep things straight here in that regard. 

Also, is he heading into the capital city? The plot begins there, in a large metropolis full of people, mages, and likely not a few cultists. He could be in the slums perhaps, or hiding in the city, but I will say that even in a nation like Kuria, which is well accustomed to Natural magic creatures, people would be a bit alarmed by a giant bear walking through the market. I'm just letting you know the setting, so you can make any kind of choices in that regard. If he can speak Kurian then it might be easier to integrate him into a human-focused setting.

I was thinking a vigilante cult that had killed his guardian.

I have been considering how to insert Mutig into the RP, and was toying with the idea that he sent traveler's into the city to feel his news, or he started trying to discretely find a way into the capital. Considering his hate for cults, and him still learning the language, I think the first plan would work (logically) more.

Just now, Chasmfiend#1 said:

I was thinking a vigilante cult that had killed his guardian.

I have been considering how to insert Mutig into the RP, and was toying with the idea that he sent traveler's into the city to feel his news, or he started trying to discretely find a way into the capital. Considering his hate for cults, and him still learning the language, I think the first plan would work (logically) more.

I agree with you re: your first plan. It is worth noting that the Fens, Roshek's labyrinthine slum district, covers basically the whole city just at a lower level, is partially flooded, and much if it sees little use. He could possibly find a way in there, and it might be interesting to get his impression on the strange things going on and manifesting in the under-city. Would you be using the travelers sniffing out news as NPCs?