Whats the best way to get rid of books you dont need anymore?

urrutiap

I was going through two plastic storage containers earlier tonight and I realized I have alot of junk books that I bought and ended up not reading. 

I got some Star Trek New Frontier books i got from the thrift store this year back during the summer.

then I got all 5 of the Game of Thrones book series where I read them twice and then I just dont read them anymore. Just really not into them I guess.

Should I just dump them in the garbage or drop them off at the library to get the books out of my life?

I always get frustrated by how little the used book stores offer and how picky they are. I always donate to the library; that institution  has saved me countless dollars throughout the years and has always been a place of comfort for me.

Edited by Ammanas

I always hand them over to the library. Though they started to get picky, only accepting books that aren't older than a year. So right now I'm looking for a smaller one, that doesn't have these regulations.

Apart from that I also give them to friends, if they are interested and I store a lot in the attic. Some I firmly believe I maybe will read again, or maybe my children will.

And then I have to confess I love to collect books. Giving them away hurts, even if I didn't like them... So I keep them and store them and use every meter of wall for a new shelf to give them a warm and dry home :lol:

Edited by Sorana

Although I’m a big proponent of supporting the library, check to make sure your local library takes donations first. Some systems don’t accept patron donations for their collection, since they add new books through their vendors and focus more on new titles than on older ones. 

Some libraries, especially ones in bigger cities, might have a Friends of the Library bookstore that accepts patron donations and sells titles back to users for a low cost (usually a few dollars per book). 

Well im planning on just dumping the books off at the library late at night by putting the books in the book drop slot at the library. 

I jiust have no desire in re-reading the Game of Thrones books for like the 3rd or 4th or 5th time. Once or twice is enough for me. 

and I got bunch of junk Star Trek New Frontier books that I probably wont even get to read since theres alot of the New Frontier books which I lost track of 

7 minutes ago, urrutiap said:

Well im planning on just dumping the books off at the library late at night by putting the books in the book drop slot at the library. 

I jiust have no desire in re-reading the Game of Thrones books for like the 3rd or 4th or 5th time. Once or twice is enough for me. 

and I got bunch of junk Star Trek New Frontier books that I probably wont even get to read since theres alot of the New Frontier books which I lost track of 

I don’t know if you’re serious or not, but if you are, please don’t do that. Staff need to check books in from the book drop, and if it doesn’t have a barcode, they’ll waste a lot of time trying to determine whether or not the book  is part of their collection already and just lost its barcode somehow, or if it’s a book that just got put in their book drop. They’re not just going to say “Oh cool, random donation” and add it to the collection; more likely, they’ll think a patron left it in the drop by mistake and it’ll just take up space in lost and found. 

And if you leave a note saying the books are a donation, if they’re not a system that accepts donations, they won’t be able to add the books to their collection. All you’ll do is shift the burden of what to do with those books onto someone else. 

I dont care.  I dont want the books anymore.  I will be dumping the books off at the library by putting them in the book drop slot whether they like it or not.

My bookcase is a sloppy mess anyway.  I could try to take the books to a pawn shop to try to get some money but I wouldnt get much money from selling/dumping off the books at the pawn shop anytway and I know since id always get rid of old movies and games and sell them off to the pawn shop to get some money but i get jipped on doing that.

56 minutes ago, urrutiap said:

I dont care.  I dont want the books anymore.  I will be dumping the books off at the library by putting them in the book drop slot whether they like it or not.

My bookcase is a sloppy mess anyway.  I could try to take the books to a pawn shop to try to get some money but I wouldnt get much money from selling/dumping off the books at the pawn shop anytway and I know since id always get rid of old movies and games and sell them off to the pawn shop to get some money but i get jipped on doing that.

I’m sorry I have to say this, but that is an awful attitude to take and a selfish thing to do to your library. Drop them off at a Goodwill if you just want to be rid of them. 

2 hours ago, urrutiap said:

Well im not gonna go on a 2 hour road trip to drop off stuff at a goodwill

Then set them in a box outside your place with s sign that says FREE. Foisting Them on the library won’t even force them to put the books on the shelf. If they don’t accept patron donations, they cannot put patron donations on the shelf.