The Metamorphosis: Rise of Villainry

Lord Meeker

One moment Max was kneeling by Solace, and in the next he was somewhere else. In some sort of hall, with chairs lined up, and an altar? Standing up Max immediately collapsed on the ground, smiling. He hadn't felt this light in forever! He'd become so used to wearing his armour around, now that he was somehow wearing a suit, he felt so light. Continuing to lie on the ground, he listened to Althea. She was right, Solace had saved them again. She asked if he wanted her to check the link, but then said it could wait.

Max found it difficult to contain worry for Solace, but he pushed that to later and focused on now. If Solace teleported them... it meant he'd used his powers for good. Which meant he'd faced his fears. Which meant he was practically in no danger from the wannabe lord and his demonic Kandra.

Getting into a crouching position and slowly leaning on a wall to get him up, he looked around.

"What do you think of this?" Althea spoke and Max turned, and saw her, and blinked. She was also in different clothes. She was in a dress, and she gestured to it, as well as the hall. Max looked to her, and the hall, wondering what she meant. What did he think of the hall? Then it all clicked. The dress, the altar, the clothes. It was a wedding hall.

Immediately a spike of shock went through him and his heartbeat started racing. Woah. A wedding? He hadn't been to many weddings. What was he supposed to do? On one hand, it was awesome. On the other... He looked to Althea and saw her face. It looked worried. Did she want to do the wedding? Max didn't want to put pressure on her.

Realising he hadn't answered the question, Max wondered what to say. "It's..." he swallowed his doubts and smiled. "It's pretty cool, I think. I mean, unless you don't think that. We can talk abo- it's just really unexpected, and - I mean - I'm fine with whether that's bad or just really good." He winced, realising he hadn't made any sense. "What about you?"

7 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Realising he hadn't answered the question, Max wondered what to say. "It's..." he swallowed his doubts and smiled. "It's pretty cool, I think. I mean, unless you don't think that. We can talk abo- it's just really unexpected, and - I mean - I'm fine with whether that's bad or just really good." He winced, realising he hadn't made any sense. "What about you?"

Ooh, it got awkward, yay!:P

31 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

"It's..." he swallowed his doubts and smiled. "It's pretty cool, I think. I mean, unless you don't think that. We can talk abo- it's just really unexpected, and - I mean - I'm fine with whether that's bad or just really good." He winced, realising he hadn't made any sense. "What about you?"

Her heart skipped a beat at his smile and she returned it, listened to his answer. Which made not really sense, apart from the first part. It's pretty cool. Warmth spread in her chest and her smile widened. She walked over to him, her dress brushing the floor. It took her a few steps to get accustomed to it's weight, but then she'd never worn something similar before and suddenly she was glad she didn't stumble over it's skirts.

She reached out for Max hands took them in her own and looked up at him. His hands were warm, strong and she simply held them for a moment, enjoyed the touch. It was almost strange how happy such a small gesture could make her.

"You're beautiful."

She told him earnestly, somehow still smiling, unable to stop herself from smiling at him.

"I want to stay with you."

Edited by Sorana

1 hour ago, Sorana said:

She reached out for Max hands took them in her own and looked up at him. His hands were warm, strong and she simply held them for a moment, enjoyed the touch. It was almost strange how happy such a small gesture could make her.

"You're beautiful."

She told him earnestly, somehow still smiling, unable to stop herself from smiling at him.

"I want to stay with you."

She'd smiled. That was good. It meant Max had said the right thing. He thought. She began to walk towards him, and Max stopped leaning against the wall for balance as she took his hands. Hers were cool, and soft. Standing up straight, Max was grateful for the hands, they helped him balance after wearing the armour for so long.

He realised this was the first time Althea had actually touched him. Not his armour, but him. He smiled more as he realised this was the first time he'd had physical contact with her as well.

Now. It was all now. They'd endured until later, and now they could celebrate. And it made Max happy, this moment, in the hall. He met her eye contact and she complimented him, which only made him grow warmer inside. "Thanks," he said, looking at Althea. He realised just how pretty she looked in the dress, how her eyes just shined perfectly in the light. Like a dream. "And you're really..." how could he describe it? The way everything came together, how she looked. "I can't describe it. You're just tyat beautiful." Ever since he'd first met her, this was the longest she'd smiled. And that made him keep smiling too. "And I want to stay with you too," he said. "Together."

1 hour ago, I think I am here. said:

"And you're really..." how could he describe it? The way everything came together, how she looked. "I can't describe it. You're just tyat beautiful."

Althea blushed at the compliment, suddenly hoped her face wasn't smeared with blood anymore. Which was probably stupid.

"And I want to stay with you too," he continued. "Together."

"Together."

She repeated and stepped closer, tried to keep up with everything that was happening. It seemed almost too good to be true. And yet she had assumed he leaned against the wall because he was exhausted, only belatedly realized that he needed her to keep his balance.

"Are you alright?"

She asked concerned, checked his body for fresh blood, anything that could tell her what was wrong.

"Are you hurt? I can get you to the hospital."

He had to be alright, they finally had the time to sort things out. After everything they finally had some time. This was the wrong time for a catastrophy, not now, not when they were both walking towards and somehow still skipping around a wedding.

Edited by Sorana

16 hours ago, Sorana said:

He had to be alright, they finally had the time to sort things out. After everything they finally had some time. This was the wrong time for a catastrophy, not now, not when they were both walking towards and somehow still skipping around a wedding.

“Are you alright?”

Max looked over himself and shook his head. “No, I’m pretty uninjured, it seems. It’s just, my balance is a bit off, since I spent so many days wearing that armour.”

He was grateful for it, though. That way he could continue holding onto Althea, and they could continue standing together. She said she could take him to the  hospital, and Max felt happy at how much she cared, but shook his head.

Taking a deep breath he looked around. “So,” he said, his heart still not slowing. “A wedding. Should we send invites or something?”

Just as Max asked about invites a pigeon came flying through the hall. Before it flew off it dropped a piece of paper, which Max caught, still keeping a hand on Althea to not collapse.

Opening it, he saw that it was in Silphio’s handwriting. That was great! A message from him on Max’s wedding day! Smiling he began to read.

Max.

I always thought of you as a little brother. You've grown since then, but I need your help.

Max smiled. A little brother. He wondered what Silph would think of him now, getting married to the loved of his life. He needed Max’s help, however. Max read on.

Master Sheonar is dead.

Max’s breath caught, and he read over the line of handwriting again. And again. And again. He began to feel a numbness, and a surge of emotions. Dead? Dead. Dead! He suddenly felt powerless. No, it couldn’t be. Not now! Not today!

I have been placed in charge of the canton. But I can't do it on my own, I'm no Lord Prelan. I need your help, you know where the canton is, if you will join me, please, I need to talk to you in person.

- Silphio Shamus, Lord Prelan of the Canton of Combat

Max wanted to say something, but his throat wouldn’t do it. His face dropped. This was a nightmare, invading his dream. He couldn’t ignore it. But what about now? With Althea? But, Silph. He needed him.

“I’m going to be back,” he whispered to Althea. “Just taking a quick jog to the Canton to tell them about the marriage.”

And he took off, running, but four steps in and he lost his balance and hit the ground hard. Forcing himself to get up, to adjust to the sudden lightness he felt without his armour, he trudged on, to the Canton.

38 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

And he took off, running, but four steps in and he lost his balance and hit the ground hard. Forcing himself to get up, to adjust to the sudden lightness he felt without his armour, he trudged on, to the Canton.

Althea stared after him. He left. Like that. And then she elsecalled away, stepped into Shadesmar and sat on the ground, hid her face between her legs and tried to not panic.

Think, she told herself. Think. There is a reason. But the only reason she could think of, was her worst fear come true.

Edited by Sorana

Suddenly a figure burst through the double doors of the wedding building, dripping water on the carpet as he stopped, and looked up at the wedding altar. Althea wasn't there.

Panting, Max checked his reflection in a window. He was a mess. His suit was ripped, and dirty, and soaked in water. Outside, it began pouring rain. He was so cold, but the inside of this building was warmer, and dry, which was amazing.

And now, after everything, was Althea also gone? "Althea?" He called, but didn't have the strength to make it too loud.

43 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

And now, after everything, was Althea also gone? "Althea?" He called, but didn't have the strength to make it too loud.

Althea sat there, breathing, fought the urge to leave, to never look back again. She was being childish, this was stupid. Running away never solved anything. They needed to talk. The canton. He went to the Canton. Getting back to her feet she stepped back into the wedding hall, suddenly despising the dream it offered. It felt fake, like a too bright picture. It had started to rain, to storm outside, the dark sky adding an even more unreal touch to the scenery.

It was only when she turned around, to walk to the door, that she saw him. Max was back, and he looked like hell. For a moment all she could do was look at him, at his torn cloths, his soaked appearance. Then she walked over, silently hugged him, tried to offer whatever comfort she had.

"I panicked. I'm sorry."

She whispered, ashamed of her reaction.

31 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Then she walked over, silently hugged him, tried to offer whatever comfort she had.

"I panicked. I'm sorry."

She whispered, ashamed of her reaction.

She moved to hug him.

“Oh, don’t ruin your clothes,” he tried to say, concerned for her but she’d already hugged him. Max felt the hug, the comfort, and relaxed into her grip. Althea said she panicked.

“It’s okay,” he whispered, hugging her back. “Sorry for leaving, it’s just -” he choked up. “Master Sheonar died. He was the closest thing to a father for me and now... now he’s gone.” He hadn’t really said how he’d felt to anyone, but he felt comfortable around Althea.