Long Game 50: News of My Demise

Wyrmhero

18 hours ago, Cadmium Compounder said:

Good! In trying to mix up my playstyle, that way when I finally get to be Elim, people don't know what to expect! I was trying to make it sound contrived!

5 hours ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

I think this justifies a Day One lynch as well as anything I've seen. Trying to sound contrived entails deliberately working against the village, who you ought to be helping, if you're a villager. Adding noise to obscure the signal we're trying to analyse is deeply counterproductive. 

Not only do I think that's suspicious in its own right, but I think it's behaviour we ought to set a precedent of punishing as a village. If we allow people to act counter-productively for Cadmium Compounder's stated purpose, we may as well cease analysis generally, as we'll never be able to tell whether someone is laying the ground for future games, or is actually evil. If we have to cease analysis, we should just hand the game to the eliminators.

As such, I'd strongly encourage everyone to vote for Cadmium this cycle.

I suppose that I didn't think through that post very well at all. I am trying to mix up my playstyle, but I suppose adding confusion into the mix is not the right way to do it. I definitely understand the reason why allowing people to vote on me is counter productive, and I understand how it makes me suspicious. I am a villager, and I will vote for the person with the second most amount of votes now, because they have as good of a chance of being elim to me as I do to you (statistically speaking, not based off of content) I am also a soother, so I will use that to hopefully help me survive at least one more cycle, though I am certain that I will not survive much longer, having already role-claimed. 

Once again, I understand that Being contrived is a bad strategy, and I would normally agree with the votes against me, so I apologize. I will place my praise vote on Fifth, as I believe that their reasoning for their vote on me is better than Orlok's who is his nearest competetor

Out of survival,

Snipexe, Fifth Scholar.

Evening Edition 1

The Elendel Daily

Newsworthy Content for Every Octant!

The 23rd of Doxil, 68, Evening

Price 2 Clips

House Heron Hopeful Poisoned!

The number of potential heirs to House Heron’s fortune has decreased by one, in a shocking and worrisome turn of events.

On his way home from the meeting, Miumounder (20) visited his favourite pub for a quick drink. Other frequent visitors to the establishment have stated that this was a common occurrence for him, and have described him in kind terms, and as ‘an eccentric, but respectable’, as befitting a man of his status. Certainly there have been no reports of disorderly behaviour, and usually he was on his way again shortly after.

Unfortunately, Miumounder never made it home that night.

Patrons were first alerted to a problem when he remained at his place at the bar for longer than normal. No concern was raised over this, however, as it was assumed he had simply been dismissed from Lord Heron’s sight, and was taking a moment to collect himself. When he remained there into the late afternoon, one approached him, only to find that he had passed away, with no visible cause.

Upon finding this, the police and medical professionals were summoned to the pub. After quick examination, it was determined that the other patrons were not in any danger. While no information has been released about how he died, some have noted that Miumounder had a very peculiar taste in his drinks, and ordered the same thing every time.

The landlord was arrested and questioned, but has now released from custody. The pub has been closed, pending examination. The constabulary has requested any with further information to come forward and help their investigation.

Garrik Urbain

Correction

Spoiler

Messers Vanquish and Steele have informed us of a mistake in the morning edition of this paper. We may have incorrectly suggested that The Elendel Daily are accusing members of Splinterism of keeping illegal texts regarding Hemalurgy, and wish to clarify that there is no evidence that in any way implicates current or former members of the Church performing such an act. Further to this, we want to add that there is also nothing to suggest that the ‘Spiked’ are in any way affiliated with the church or that the church supports their actions. We apologise to all readers and in particular to followers of Splinterism if we have given that false impression.

Commercial Advertisements

Spoiler

Dibb’s Delectable Deli

Ever wonder what a giraffe tastes like?

WONDER NO MORE.

We have all kinds of exotic meats!

All cuts guaranteed to be from named animals.

Located Demoux Promonade, 5th Octant.

Hastings, Hastings, Hastings and Venture Legal Representation

Have you worked in House Tekiel’s refineries for two or more years?

Do you feel TIRED, SICK or BREATHLESS?

You could be entitled to COMPENSATION.

Visit our office on Yomen Street, 3rd Octant, for Consultation.

No win, no fee!

Obituary

Spoiler

Miumounder was born on the 12th of Hammondar, year 48. He has sadly been taken from us at the tender age of twenty years old.

Miumounder lived a troubled childhood, but despite that, he had found a way to leave that life behind. Miumounder is his legal name, but it is not the name he was given at birth. At birth, he was CadCom. CadCom grew up in the dark alleys of the 5th Octant of Elendel, where, as a child, his parents forced him into a life of petty crimes and thievery. As soon as he was old enough to survive on his own, he left them, and moved to the 8th Octant. While in the 8th octant, he lived as good of a life as he could, while still swiping food and other necessities in order to survive. By chance, one day, he was caught by a well-meaning cobbler, while stealing a pair of shoes. This Cobbler took him under his wing, and taught him the art of shoemaking. The cobbler’s name was Marton. Marton became like a father to CadCom, and helped him to legally emancipate himself, and change his name to Miumounder.  

Miumounder found his calling in cobbling, and he quickly became one of the young talents of the art, even surpassing his mentor. Among his closest friends, he was still called CadCom, because they found it hard to forget his old name, but on the streets, he was known by his new name, Miumounder, the greatest Cobbler in the Octant.

Upon seeing the ad for Heron inheritance in the newspaper, he decided that this would be his chance to make a difference. He had seen how the slums changed people. His plan was to use his position to help other unfortunate children like he himself had been.

Miumounder is preceeded in death by his mentor, Marton. Having been emancipated, and having no heirs himself, he is survived by no family members.

His funeral services will be held at the Survivorist Chapel in the 8th octant. Friends and family are welcome, and your reverence is appreciated.

Other Headlines This Evening

Spoiler

Imperial News – Constabulary Open Investigation into Death of Noble

The Daily Council – Chaos After Heron Heir Hopefuls Meet, Governor Vows Full Investigation

The Hazekiller – Coroner Claims ‘Suspicious’ Death of Miumounder Was Incidental

The Financial Broadsheet – Tekiel Refineries Deemed ‘Negligent’ by Inquiry

The Copper Star – Secret Love Life of The Lord Ruler REVEALED

Previous Editions

Night 1 has begun!  Day 2 will begin at 7PM GMT on Sunday 4th November.

There is a Tineye alive, so PMs may be sent. Please remember that group PMs are not allowed, and PMs must include myself within them.

Miomounder (Cadmium Compounder) was a Soother!

Count Olaf/Fifth Scholar is Influential during Day 2.

Assassinate Votes

Spoiler

Mioumounder/Cadmium Compounder (5): Eviterces/xinoehp512, Locke Tekiel/Orlok Tsubodai, Count Olaf/Fifth Scholar,Avi/Elandera, The Immortal Kalfaix/MetaTerminal, Tessona/Devotary of Sponteneity

Snip Exeutor/Snipex (3): Mioumounder/Cadmium Compounder, Ookla That Watches/Shqueeves, Aniah Arkwood/Ark1002

Locke Tekiel/Orlok Tsubodai (2): Ookla the Curmudgeonly/Araris Valerian, Tomir Izenry/Aonar Faileas

Itiah XII/I think I am here. (1): George RD Mackleberry/Gancho Libre

Count Olaf/Fifth Scholar (1): Severance Greed/Nohadon

George RD Mackleberry/Gancho Libre (1): Jendred/Young Bard

Furamirionid Yuln'Broael/Furamirionid (1): Sabine Seidel/A Joe in the Bush

Aniah Arkwood/Ark1002 (1): Snip Exeutor/Snipexe

Praise Votes

Spoiler

Count Olaf/Fifth Scholar (7): Eviterces/xinoehp512, Avi/Elandera, Ookla the Curmudgeonly/Araris Valerian, Miumounder/Cadmium Compunder, George RD Mackleberry/Gancho Libre, Locke Tekiel/Orlok Tsubodai, The Immortal Kalfaix/MetaTerminal

Locke Tekiel/Orlok Tsubodai (3): Count Olaf/Fifth Scholar, Snip Exeutor/Snipexe, Aniah Arkwood/Ark1002, Tessona/Devotary of Spontaneity

Miumounder/Camdium Compounder (1): Jendred/Young Bard

Sabine Seidel/A Joe in the Bush (1): Ookla That Watches/Shqueeves

Jendred/Young Bard (1): Tomir Izenry/Aonar Faileas

Quintus/Jondesu (1): Sabine Seidel/A Joe in the Bush

Ookla of Squids/Steeldancer (1): Severance Greed/Nohadon

Total Influence

Spoiler

Count Olaf/Fifth Scholar: 7

Locke Tekiel/Orlok Tsubodai: 3

Sabine Seidel/A Joe in the Bush: 1

Jendred/Young Bard: 1

Quintus/Jondesu: 1

Ookla of Squids/Steeldancer: 1

Player List

Spoiler
  1. xinoehp512 - Eviterces, a person of unknown quality. Why would they hide themselves like this?
  2. I think I am here. - Itiah XII. What happened to the other eleven?
  3. Fifth Scholar - Count Olaf, an old vassal that once was under the influence of Ruin. Ruin is gone, but what's to stop him falling under evil influence again?
  4. Jondesu - Quintus, an old hat at situations like this. Makes you wonder how he lived through them to tell the tale...
  5. Elandera - Avi, a person who has no idea what an Ookla Season is. Is that the truth, or are they perhaps lying?
  6. Araris Valerian - Ookla the Curmudgeonly, an old man with a stern face. Perhaps evil is concealed within that stony visage.
  7. Cadmium Compounder - Miumounder, also known as CadCom. Why would someone need two names? Soother
  8. Young Bard - Jendred, eighth son, and thus unimportant. You can probably ignore him.
  9. Gancho Libre - George R.D. Mackleberry. Never trust a man with two middle initials.
  10. Orlok Tsubodai - Locke Tekiel, named for a ruler of Fadrex City, beloved by all. This character is different in two regards.
  11. Steeldancer - Ookla of Squids. (This is getting out of hand, now there are two of them)
  12. Rathmaskal - Lord Flamingo, flamboyant and fond of hopping.
  13. Snipexe - Snip Exeutor, has stopped working. 
  14. Coop772 - Burrsir, too cool for school.
  15. Shqueeves - Ookla That Watches, definitely a Tineye.
  16. Furamirionid - Furamirionid Yuln'Broael, Fura to his friends (if he has any).
  17. Aonar Faileas - Tomir Izenry, only here for the money.
  18. A Joe in the Bush - Sabine Seidel, of questionable sanity.
  19. Ark1002 - Aniah Arkwood, from the roughs. Sticks out like a sore thumb in these fancy settings.
  20. Nohadon - Severance Greed, greedy by name, greedy by repeated examples of taking more than his fair share throughout his life.
  21. MetaTerminal - The Immortal Kalfaix, a travelling magician. You can't trust these out-of-towners...
  22. Devotary of Spontaneity - Tessona, a Sliverist, but assuredly maybe probably not one of the bad guys.

Edited by Wyrmhero

I apologize for not voting I'm busy frantically last minute studying for a Stats test that I am going to go take right now. I'll give my thoughts after I get back from my exam, once I have a minute to evaluate what happened to CadCom and see if there's anything relevant to be extracted from it. 

I won’t pretend that couldn’t have gone better, but those who might say we got no information are dead wrong. I will be retreating to PMs for a while, but I want to make a public call to all @Smokers to please not target me tonight, in the interest of furthering the experiment I wished to conduct on Orlok, which I’ll have to do on myself tonight. :P 

14 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

I won’t pretend that couldn’t have gone better, but those who might say we got no information are dead wrong. I will be retreating to PMs for a while, but I want to make a public call to all @Smokers to please not target me tonight, in the interest of furthering the experiment I wished to conduct on Orlok, which I’ll have to do on myself tonight. :P 

I now have this uncomfortable feeling that we've all been manipulated. <_<

You're right, though. There is still a fair amount we might learn from CadCom's death, as well as other votes and interactions. I'll try to do some analysis later, though I may not have time until tomorrow after rollover.

OK, two assessments down, one to go, due tomorrow night. I'm taking a break from working for a little while to catch up on this, though, especially since these kinds of things can be hard to catch up on.

OK, that read like quite a bandwagon on CadCom at the end of the cycle, which makes me suspicious that the next biggest candidate for the lynch, Snip, might be a Spiked that their Elim buddies were trying to protect, especially considered how little CadCom got lynched over. (To me, CadCom just seemed to be trying to figure out different kinds of playstyles, and if anything, I'd suspect they'd do the opposite if they were an Eliminator, and try to play it safe. Part of me worries that we're too eager to lynch anyone who strays too far from the default SE playstyle, but that's more a conversation that might be better for the meta discussion thread. To cut a long story short - we've had people like Stink, "chaotic players" here historically, and while Stink tended to get lynched more than a standard player might, I worry that lynches like yesterday's mean that we're getting more homogenous and less tolerant of differing playstyles, which I think would be detrimental to SE as a whole.)

I generally believe Orlok's and Fifth's votes seem genuine and well thought out, but Xino, Elandara, and MetaTerminal seemed to bandwagon on. Especially if Snip flips Elim, I wouldn't be surprised if at least one or two of these people are also Eliminators.

Aniah dropped the newspaper in her cereal bowl.

"Rusts."

This was dangerous. Very dangerous. It was just supposed to be a competition. Not death. She began to panic, hyperventilating. So she walked out into the cool night. She walked up to a shop and bought a handgun and a dagger. I have to protect myself. I have to. The man who had sold her the gun gave her a strange look. Glaring at him, she strode out of the shop. Behind her she heard him whisper to a shopper.

"Not very ladylike, is she. You would think shes from the rusting roughs."

Sniffing, she reentered her house.

I think we should focus on protecting the influential player. Maybe put a lurcher or smoker on Orlok for the night?

About CadCom's death, It looked a lot like a random lynch. People bandwagoning. 

I agree with @Young Bard, CadCom didn't seem that suspicious to me, but I play ToS, which is pretty different. 

Now onto the RP

"Ah hell." Severance looked at the newspaper. His first thought was to get out of dodge. He wanted the money, but he wasn't a fan of risking his life over anything. 

His second thought was that he just had to be extra careful. Make his own food and whatnot. He needed that money more then anyone else in the room. He had a reason for it. 

He liked money.

Severance paced around the small one-room flat he was renting for the contest. His eyes darting to under his pillow where he kept his terringul. firearms were hard to sneak into the city with the checkpoints, but he had managed. 

They wouldn't kill a kid, would they? Severance asked himself

Nah, they would. You're fair game mate. He replied

3 hours ago, Nohadon said:

I think we should focus on protecting the influential player. Maybe put a lurcher or smoker on Orlok for the night?

Orlok isn’t Influential, unfortunately; I am, and would appreciate not being Smoked tonight if that is possible, in the interests of furthering my experiment. I wouldn’t say no to being Lurched, but I think that others are likelier to be targeted, and the Lurcher should exercise their own best judgement in choosing somebody to protect.

A question has come up regarding whether or not it's possible for a Rioter or Soother to use their ability on themselves. The rules on the first post do not state that they can't, but that's a mistake on my part. Brass and Zinc are both external mental metals, and as such, I am going to update the rules to reflect their official capabilities as well as my initial intentions for them: Brass and Zinc only work on other players. 

It's been brought to my attention that I made a slight mistake in the votes, and accidentally assigned Young Bard's votes to Jondesu (well, they have similar avatars...). This has now been fixed. It should also be noted, as this question was asked, that a Rioter cannot Riot a no vote. For that matter, a Soother can't Soothe one either, but that has no actual effect anyway.

There are 8 hours left in the Night Turn.

Edited by Wyrmhero

15 hours ago, Young Bard said:

OK, that read like quite a bandwagon on CadCom at the end of the cycle, which makes me suspicious that the next biggest candidate for the lynch, Snip, might be a Spiked that their Elim buddies were trying to protect, especially considered how little CadCom got lynched over.

Besides deviations in his post style, the Cadmium lynch was precipitated by Orlok asking everyone to vote for Cadmium. As Orlok was tied for the lynch at the time, there was likely an element of self-preservation in that push to concentrate votes on one player. 

Reminder to any seekers that might be out there that while a result of Roleless Noble might mean that your target is actually a roleless noble, it could also mean that your target was smoked.

They had been wrong. Miomounder had been innocent, of being a Spiked anyway. Such a thing could never have happened under the leadership of the Lord Ruler, Tessona reflected bitterly. With his Allomancy and his ability to tell truth from fiction, all the Spiked intruders would have been caught and executed by now. Yet another reason to long for his return. Politicking and shifting alliances were all very well, but protection from threats both internal and external was sorely lacking in this new era. Nobles should not have to worry about being killed in broad daylight by their own peers. Nostalgia wouldn't solve their current problems though, so Tessona set out from her House's quarters and began to walk towards Keep Heron. 

(Ninja’d, Devotary.)

Kalfaix stared at the news, a monocle pressed up to his right eye. Murder of an allomancer? The sheets were in an uproar - anyone could be next, they claimed.

But little did they know that Immortal Kalfaix could not be killed. How long had he been alive for? Several decades, by now, and through all that time he hadn’t been dead for one second of it. Statistically speaking, he was immortal. Even if someone plotted against someone, he would turn their knives into handkerchiefs and disappear with a flash of smoke, without a trace of him left. (There was that one time he left his shoes behind, but that hadn’t happened since, and the shoes weren’t that comfortable anyway.)

It was a shame, though. Miomounder could have been vital to the effort of stamping out those Hemalurgic creatures - he dared not call them human. For now, they had to rely on their own wits.

Fura liked staying up late into the night.  It was always so quiet and peaceful.  She decided to take this opportunity to write a letter to her family.  They hadn't parted on the best of terms, even though they had sacrificed much to reunite her with her house.

Fura dipped her quill in ink and moved it towards the paper, when she heard screams coming from outside.  She jumped, spilling ink all over her parchment, and ran to a small window overlooking the square.  Outside she just saw some people talking. Ugh, they always make such a big deal out of nothing!

She went back to her desk to continue writing, but saw the ink all over.  Replacing the parchment with a new one, she sat back down to write, but then there was a knock on her door.

She looked through the peephole and saw her house's butler.  What was his name again? Oh whatever, it isn't important. "Not right now, I am busy!", "This is quite important, and you will want to see this sooner rather than later".  Fura opened the door, this just better be fast. The butler just handed her a newspaper and walked away.

On the front page she saw that Miomounder had died... Sounded like a poisoning.  This day was just getting worse and worse. Miomounder had been one of the few people in the court who understood her... Perhaps this was all a bad dream? Yes. It must be.  The sooner she went to bed, the sooner morning would arrive, the sooner the world would be back to normal.

I admire CadCom's desire to change up his play style, so that wasn't the reason I voted on him. It was largely because of how he phrased things in a way that felt like an attempt to obscure his point. There was no real reason yet for a lynch on Snipexe, and though Orlok can be dangerous, I don't think that alone should be enough to lynch someone straight out of the gate. All of that, combined with the presence of vote manipulation, I felt it better to solidify a lynch on CadCom.

Orlok's seemed adamant about the lynch, which makes me feel he's likely village. From my experience, it's fairly rare to have an elim push in that way for a lynch on a villager. I did a brief skim of D1, and nothing really stuck out as unusual. Most of it seemed centered around Fifth/Orlok/Snipexe/CadCom.

I stand completely behind the lynch on Cadmium Compounder, despite knowing its outcome. As I said last cycle, his policy was a "defect" action in SE's collective action problem. We're all better off as a group if we're capable of analysis, which entails villagers trying to ensure they can be analysed. If we're unable to analyse, the village can never win at SE games other than by random chance, which is a loss to us all.

Each individual may be better off by defecting (that is making themselves impossible to analyse), provided the group itself remains capable of analysis, and loses out if everyone else but themselves are impossible to analyse.

As such, in order to ensure the group takes collectively preferable action, we need to compel people act against individual interest, which I think a lynch does admirably. 

Fifth expresses discontent at a policy lynch (and has done so again in PMs with me). I think that this "policy lynch" ought to be regular  practice for the protection of our collective "commons".

I'm slightly suspicious of Fifth for his repetition of being against a policy lynch - it feels like a good way to seem "good", whilst supporting a practice helpful to eliminators in this game.

Morning Edition 2

The Elendel Daily

Newsworthy Content for Every Octant!

The 24th of Doxil, 68, Morning

Price 2 Clips

Night of Murders Shocks City!

Officials can reveal that not only are they now investigating the death of Miumounder (reported in yesterday’s evening edition), but two more members of House Heron’s meeting have been found dead as well.

The two new deaths – Snip Exeutor and Tessona – do not initially seem connected to each other or to Miumounder’s, but for their link to House Heron. Constables are currently assuming these murders to be related, but do not believe that the same person has carried out all three murders, as each has been different.

Miumounder’s death has been stated to be an accident by the coroner that examined his body - the official report has concluded that the liquor he purchased had been accidentally contaminated and created a poison - but the circumstances around the death itself have thrown that into questioning.

An anonymous source has revealed that the constabulary are considering whether to request a second examination of the body, and are currently proceeding under the assumption that his death was malicious. Despite this, they state that the owner of the bar and the staff are not charged with any crimes and are not being considered as anything more than witnesses.

Snip Exeutor was found stabbed inside his home, with entry forced. He was alive when discovered, but passed away at the scene before medical help could arrive. No obvious items were taken from his home, indicating that this was a potential murder attempt rather than a robbery gone horribly wrong. His home has been cordoned off while it is dusted for prints and other investigation by the newly established ‘forensics’ department of the constabulary. It is hoped that new scientific methods will shed light on clues that more traditional methods might show.

Tessona was also stabbed last night, but on the way home, in a quiet but open part of the city. This murder was carried out much earlier yesterday than Snip Exeutor’s, but her body was only discovered this morning. No items from her person appear to be stolen, indicating that this too was not a crime of theft turned ugly. It is unknown whether this killing was due to a Spiked assault or a vigilante taking matters into their own hands; Tessona was a noted and devout follower of Splinterism. As such, constables are currently working on the theory that she was killed for her faith, either being seen as a traitor by the extremist Spiked for working against them, or that another individual made the mistake of conflating Splinterism with support for the Spiked and their goals, and took matters into their own hands in an illegal manner.

The investigations into all three deaths continue.

Krea Erikeller

Commercial Advertisements

Spoiler

Dibbler's Inquisition Infusions

Even Steel Inquisitors needed time to relax!

Dibblers Inquisition Infusions offers AUTHENTIC teas and herbs from Inquisition stores.

They're old enough to be antiques!

The New Novel from Renowned Author Jasdorn Izenry

The Coppermind's Eye

Framed for a crime he didn't commit, retired constable Biran is Terrisman on the run.

With all of his old friends now against him, he has NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE.

All he has to guide him are his Metalminds and an old memory.

Forced back to his old home to investigate truth about his brother's death, he'll find that the past has a way of catching up to him no matter how far he runs.

Personal Advertisements

Spoiler

An Open Letter to the editor of The Financial Broadsheet:

Dear Sir, 

Your newspaper's reporting on the recent allegations surfacing about Tekiel Refineries, and the wider business practices of the Tekiel Group, particularly in the light of the shameful ruling by the Second Octant Lower Court, is unbecoming of a paper such as the Financial Broadsheet.

You'll be aware, from our many long discussions, that I and my House believe firmly that no negligence took place in our refining operations. Although we've disagreed, I believe your paper has misrepresented the matter by refusing to present our view that negligence in such an operation is an impossibility, predicated on unsubstantiated and uncivilised assumptions about the mental capacities, and so purported rights of skaa.

Skaa - yes, I dare write the word. It is a crime against nature not to differentiate the two races of human in the basin, to conflate the basic physiological changes Harmony made to the skaa for their survival with equivalence with those of noble blood. This false collection of two disparate species under one law with one set of rights runs opposed to all good sense, and the Second Octant Lower Court manifestly failed to give such a compelling constitutional argument due weight, and indeed due consideration. I do hope your paper will return to its duty of good and proper reporting, and will in future qualify the supposed rights held by skaa as legally untested.

We will be appealing the Second Octant Lower Court's ruling, and look forward to the restoration of good order in Elendel and the basin.

Lord Locke Tekiel

I can see all... except the future. That is cloudy to me, like a shrouded curtain it hides its secrets well, so none may see it until the appointed hour. I whisper a message out to the winds - may the future hear my call, and answer it in time of need: keegzwwqigleibn

Obituaries

Spoiler

Tessona had always expected that she would be murdered some day, but she'd hoped to live a bit longer before meeting Ironeyes. As a radical Sliverist, she had devoted her life to creating a world the Lord Ruler might one day return to. His absence for so long was surely a sign that he was displeased with current affairs. He would not deign to grace the planet with his rule so long as the people bowed before a half-skaa ruler, worshiped a savage murderer, and fought for the inheritance of a traitor. Perhaps if she were to gain control of Lord Heron's fortune, she could bring the world back in line with the Lord Ruler's wishes. With the power of Heron Industries, she could overthrow the so-called Lord Mistborn, reestablish the obligators, and restore the balance between skaa and Nobles to fit the Lord Ruler's decrees. Yet it was not to be. As she lay dying on the floor, spurned by her fellow nobles, Tessona could only hope that whoever ultimately usurped the Heron name would serve the Lord Ruler, as she had failed to do.

There once was a child named Snip

Whose parents went out for a dip

Alhough they were quite noble

Their bodies were immobile

When the police pulled them out of the drip.

The orphan had no family around

That to him wanted to be bound

So to the orphanage he went

To his name not a cent

His inheritance run into the ground

But Snip had one skill to his name

For him math was but a game

Though education he lacked

On the library he snacked

And for many a missing book he laid claim

In time Snip got a job

Doing accounting work for the mob

The skills it provided, 

While quite unrequited

Helped him from being turned into a blob

One day Snip got a call

“Lord Heron’s had a great fall”

He found out they were related

And his greed couldn’t be sated

And so he went up to the hall

Other Headlines this Morning

Spoiler

Imperial News - Triple Murder Shocks City

The Daily Council - Constables Brought in from Roughs, Governor Denies Cover-up

The Hazekiller - Spate of Murders a Sad Indictment of Modern Strife

New Allomancer - Innovative Ballistics Mechanism Could Make Anyone a Coinshot

The Copper Star - Could People Live on the Other Side of the World?

Previous Editions

Day 2 has begun! Night 2 will begin at 7PM GMT on Tuesday 6th November.

Snip Exeutor/Snipexe was a Noble!

Tessona/Devotary of Spontaneity was a Noble!

Player List

Spoiler
  1. xinoehp512 - Eviterces, a person of unknown quality. Why would they hide themselves like this?
  2. I think I am here. - Itiah XII. What happened to the other eleven?
  3. Fifth Scholar - Count Olaf, an old vassal that once was under the influence of Ruin. Ruin is gone, but what's to stop him falling under evil influence again?
  4. Jondesu - Quintus, an old hat at situations like this. Makes you wonder how he lived through them to tell the tale...
  5. Elandera - Avi, a person who has no idea what an Ookla Season is. Is that the truth, or are they perhaps lying?
  6. Araris Valerian - Ookla the Curmudgeonly, an old man with a stern face. Perhaps evil is concealed within that stony visage.
  7. Cadmium Compounder - Miumounder, also known as CadCom. Why would someone need two names? Soother
  8. Young Bard - Jendred, eighth son, and thus unimportant. You can probably ignore him.
  9. Gancho Libre - George R.D. Mackleberry. Never trust a man with two middle initials.
  10. Orlok Tsubodai - Locke Tekiel, named for a ruler of Fadrex City, beloved by all. This character is different in two regards.
  11. Steeldancer - Ookla of Squids. (This is getting out of hand, now there are two of them)
  12. Rathmaskal - Lord Flamingo, flamboyant and fond of hopping.
  13. Snipexe - Snip Exeutor, has stopped working. Noble
  14. Coop772 - Burrsir, too cool for school.
  15. Shqueeves - Ookla That Watches, definitely a Tineye.
  16. Furamirionid - Furamirionid Yuln'Broael, Fura to his friends (if he has any).
  17. Aonar Faileas - Tomir Izenry, only here for the money.
  18. A Joe in the Bush - Sabine Seidel, of questionable sanity.
  19. Ark1002 - Aniah Arkwood, from the roughs. Sticks out like a sore thumb in these fancy settings.
  20. Nohadon - Severance Greed, greedy by name, greedy by repeated examples of taking more than his fair share throughout his life.
  21. MetaTerminal - The Immortal Kalfaix, a travelling magician. You can't trust these out-of-towners...
  22. Devotary of Spontaneity - Tessona, a Sliverist, but assuredly maybe probably not one of the bad guys. Noble

Edited by Wyrmhero

Although I've got a mid term tomorrow, and so don't really have time for SE, I'd like to see discussion start to move. 

Fifth, would you expound on your criticism of the last lynch as a policy lynch? @Fifth Scholar

Snipexe, because I feel like trolling @Wyrmhero about a technical gap in his rules.

14 minutes ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

Snipexe, because I feel like trolling @Wyrmhero about a technical gap in his rules.

Some might say I expect you to have common sense ;)

But yes, rules patch engaged etc, Assassinate/Praise votes must be for living players, as such Orlok's votes count for nothing there.

3 minutes ago, Wyrmhero said:

Some might say I expect you to have common sense ;)

But yes, rules patch engaged etc, Assassinate/Praise votes must be for living players, as such Orlok's votes count for nothing there.

A brave assumption.

Fifth Scholar, Snipexe, Fifth Scholar, Aonar.

First, to respond to something Orlok said: 

I stand completely behind the lynch on Cadmium Compounder, despite knowing its outcome. As I said last cycle, his policy was a "defect" action in SE's collective action problem. We're all better off as a group if we're capable of analysis, which entails villagers trying to ensure they can be analysed. If we're unable to analyse, the village can never win at SE games other than by random chance, which is a loss to us all.

Each individual may be better off by defecting (that is making themselves impossible to analyse), provided the group itself remains capable of analysis, and loses out if everyone else but themselves are impossible to analyse.

As such, in order to ensure the group takes collectively preferable action, we need to compel people act against individual interest, which I think a lynch does admirably. 

Fifth expresses discontent at a policy lynch (and has done so again in PMs with me). I think that this "policy lynch" ought to be regular  practice for the protection of our collective "commons".

I'm slightly suspicious of Fifth for his repetition of being against a policy lynch - it feels like a good way to seem "good", whilst supporting a practice helpful to eliminators in this game.

I have expressed opposition to policy lynches, because I believe that killing somebody for acting in a way they find entertaining should not be a mark of this subforum. It is perhaps true that individuals can act in ways that reduces the value of analysis performed upon them, but the selectivity here bothers me. Take, for instance, Alv, whose Zunn the Mad character was nearly impossible to understand, let alone to analyse. Lurkers don’t post much and therefore don’t have much analyseable content; the same applies to those that post mostly RP, or those who tend to give much shorter posts that don’t explain themselves much. Yet you, and others, have defended such behaviour before, and haven’t tried to get others to change their playstyles to accomodate what you believed was an optimal method of play. I believe that principle should stand here; while I acknowledge that CadCom’s stance was detrimental to the village, he may have simply been trying out a newer playstyle, or trying to have fun by being a chaotic neutral, and lynching him for it did not sit well with me. My vote ended on CadCom because I found his analysis suspicious, not because he was making it hard to read. If he wishes it to look cryptic and contrived, he can by all means, but he should not complain if he is killed for it seeming suspicious. He can complain, however, for being killed for utilising a playstyle that was “suboptimal,” as I feel that is a direction that it would be detrimental as a community to lean towards, even if you believe it is justified in this specific instance. I agree that CadCom should have been lynched; I disagree that we should start lynching those players who consciously reduce our ability to analyse, as having fun in different ways is an integral part of SE. 

TL;DR—It sets a bad precedent of lynching people for playstyles, and impairs players’ ability to try out new ways of playing if they believe they will be lynched for it. 

In terms of my double-vote, which will likely get manipulated somehow, Shqueeves, you’ve dropped in once to make a completely random vote, but have been following the thread and presumably PMing. Care to comment publicly on recent developments? Second, I’ve gotten a good read on Elandera from PMs, and would like her to contribute her thoughts soon as well.