Email List and Submission Dates

Silk

A message primarily aimed at our new members, of which there are several in the last few weeks.

When submitting, please label all of your files with your username. It just makes it easier to keep track, especially when there are multiple files attached. You'll appreciate the wisdom of this if you are here for a while. For example, I have an RE file on my Mac that has 1,621 files in it (folders per submitter, of course), and you'd be surprised how often being able to track back and check earlier comments or passages of a story comes in handing (for ongoing projects).

You will also see that regular members are in the habit of including the submission date in the file name, which again helps when there are many weekly submission progressing through the same work, and submission of revised versions of previous chapters.

On 10/8/2020 at 0:50 AM, Robinski said:

A message primarily aimed at our new members, of which there are several in the last few weeks.

When submitting, please label all of your files with your username. It just makes it easier to keep track, especially when there are multiple files attached. You'll appreciate the wisdom of this if you are here for a while. For example, I have an RE file on my Mac that has 1,621 files in it (folders per submitter, of course), and you'd be surprised how often being able to track back and check earlier comments or passages of a story comes in handing (for ongoing projects).

You will also see that regular members are in the habit of including the submission date in the file name, which again helps when there are many weekly submission progressing through the same work, and submission of revised versions of previous chapters.

Seconded. This makes a huge difference.

In related news, it looks like we have @ginger_reckoning and @Sarah B up for Monday.

Looks we have @sniperfrog, @ginger_reckoning and @Sarah B  up for tomorrow.

Quick reminder as we have a number of folks who've joined recently to keep your submissions to the upper limit of 5k. This will be especially important as it looks like we're heading into another busy period; critiques suffer when the volume becomes overwhelming!

...what Silk said.

As is typical with hard word count limits, you'll see there is some discretion to go say 10% over without anyone giving it much of a second thought*.

If you absolutely have to go longer, good form is to ask if anyone would mind reading a longer submission in a given week, and to try to avoid doing it on a regular basis.

:) 

(* Does not apply to publisher submissions!!!)

On 10/24/2020 at 10:40 AM, ginger_reckoning said:

May I have a slot for monday the 26th? (Just fyi I will be taking a break for Nanowrimo after that) 

You may!

Any other takers for tomorrow?

Good luck with the new job, @sniperfrog. Hope it goes well :) 

And good luck with NaNoWriMo, @ginger_reckoning. But of course luck has nothing to do with it, just write 1,667 words a day: no problem :D

Glad you're subbing again, @Sarah B, I'm really enjoying your story.

Was it you who said it was your first time looking at it? Anyway, for anyone who's listening, free advice: (1) get out in front early, you'll really appreciate having a handful of thousand words in the bank for those days you just can't do it; (2) Be ready to start on the first day. Don't start planning on the first day, unless you are going to write character background, and count world building narrative towards your word count, which, I think is reasonable if it's proper narrative that adds to the story, even if it's not going to end up in the finished work.

I stopped doing NaNo in 2017 because it wasn't really working for me anymore, but it's a powerful tool to get you moving, a powerful tool for building the writing habit. I still use it as a motivation to me today. Pretty much the first thing I think about every day is writing. (I don't get to show these off much, humour me, will you? :rolleyes:)

IMG_0485.thumb.JPG.4e3a57627da7d3abc25801b010677853.JPG

Edited by Robinski

11 hours ago, ginger_reckoning said:

Congrats on the new job! Hope it's not too stressful. 

10 hours ago, Silk said:

Congrats @sniperfrog!

20 minutes ago, Robinski said:

Good luck with the new job, @sniperfrog. Hope it goes well :) 

IMG_0485.thumb.JPG.4e3a57627da7d3abc25801b010677853.JPG

Thanks guys! It has been pretty sweet so far. Only four days a week and I get to work with all my friends. 

@Robinski What a legend. That is amazing. I can see why it has lost its appeal for you.