When Szeth meets Zahel

I know that this was a joke, but I have to say... these few lines made my heart twinge. Nightblood is a sword, and he likes killing, but he does care about the people he considers his friends.

In Soviet Roshar, lawyers prosecute with Shardblades.

I really regret posting that comment. I meant it to be lighthearted and flippant, but every time I read it it seems condescending and mean. 

I think Nightblood is going to be an even more interesting character in the next book. I know we have WoB that he's considered doing a chapter from Nightblood's perspective, and I think a scene where Zahel meets Szeth would be the perfect scene to do that, so that we can see the inner conflict inside Nightblood.

Also, congrats on 666 reputation and being a Torturer of Heralds. I almost don't want to give you anymore upvotes. Almost. 

I really regret posting that comment. I meant it to be lighthearted and flippant, but every time I read it it seems condescending and mean. 

I think Nightblood is going to be an even more interesting character in the next book. I know we have WoB that he's considered doing a chapter from Nightblood's perspective, and I think a scene where Zahel meets Szeth would be the perfect scene to do that, so that we can see the inner conflict inside Nightblood.

Also, congrats on 666 reputation and being a Torturer of Heralds. I almost don't want to give you anymore upvotes. Almost.

Nah, it doesn't seem condescending or mean to me. :)

I desperately want Nightblood to have his own character arc. There is such a rich potential for conflict if Szeth meets Zahel.

And I was a Torturer of Heralds? Darn, must have missed that one. /shakes fist YOU WIN THIS TIME, HERALDS!

I think we're all missing the obvious truth about Nalan...NIghtblood made him do it. 

I don't think so, He would have killed all lawbreakers then, not just the surgebindy kind.

It will be fun to hear any conversation nightblood has as read by michael kramer. That one line in WoR was vastly different from the reader of Warbreaker.

Skybreakers becoming Radiants again doesn't mean they would join the other 9 orders, in my opinion I highly doubt Dalinar would accept them. I actually see it as a plot point later on in the series, the new Order of the Knights Radiant minus the Red Ajah Skybreakers, will be forced to put down the rabid dog rogue order.

Zahel fighting against nightblood? Might be an interesting scene.

Szeth having drawn the sword from it's scabbard suddenly feels all the stormlight being leeched from his body, but also feels an overwhelming urge to kill everything. Seeing red, Szeth's skill has no meaning, just raw power. Zahel knows the signs, he must wait out Szeth until his body is empty of investiture, he must stall for time, draw the fight out. At last Zahel sees szeth slump a little as the stormlight runs out, he seizes the chance and deftly slips the shardblade guard in place over Nightblood finally, after all these years, muzzling his old friend.

Nah, it doesn't seem condescending or mean to me. :)

I desperately want Nightblood to have his own character arc. There is such a rich potential for conflict if Szeth meets Zahel.

And I was a Torturer of Heralds? Darn, must have missed that one. /shakes fist YOU WIN THIS TIME, HERALDS!

I could downvote ya if you want :P

Thank you for the kind offer, but I'm quite happy being a Svrakiss.

(Despite not knowing how to pronounce it. :P)

It's really quite simple:

SVRAH-KISS

Apparently, trespassing in the holy room while the Kadasixes are conversing about who should be Prime is punishable by death. When Nale charges in and captures Lift, he gives the lady in charge a paper that explains for what crime Lift is about to be executed. She protests, but Nale tells her that Lift had committed a crime punishable by death (trespassing). The Kadasixes give no more verbal objection. Since Azir is a country that is all about proper forms and legal matters, I think that Nale's paperwork is in order.

That is true which begs the question of how did Nale have the paperwork ready before Lift actually trespassed. That seems to mean he knew what she was going to do and waited until the perfect moment to capture her so he could kill her. Lift does remark about how she's see the darkness stalking her which I thought meant that she had eluded him but now it's more likely he was just waiting for her to do a crime punishable by death. This is getting into some minority report rust

I feel like any confrontation is going to be a lot...calmer than this. Only because Brandon has said he's keeping his projects separated enough that you don't need to have read the other books to understand what is going on. Totally possible that they have a mind reading party, but I would just expect Zahel to show recognition and then pull Kaladin or whoever away from Szeth as fast as possible to save them from getting massacred. I just know that if I was reading a book and one of the characters on screen started having a buddy buddy conversation in his mind with a seemingly unrelated sword, I'd feel like I missed something. It's possible that this is how Brandon introduces Zahel as more than just an ardent/swordsmanship teacher, but I think it will be really tame (read less fun than the first post).

Nalan follows the law to a T and kills everyone quite legally. If a Surgebinder never broke the law, Nalan would never kill them.

Yep, and I'm sure the laws in each of the lands is quite equitable and just...

or NOT!

or NOT!

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states

Let's see here:  It's illegal to look at a moose from an airplane in Alaska.

In Alabama, putting salt on a railway is punishable by death.

Also in Alabama, it is illegal to play dominoes on Sunday.

In Ohio, Women are not allowed to publicly wear patent leather shoes.

In Kentucky, it is illegal to fish with a bow and arrow.

I can keep going...

Although, I wonder if Alethkar has a law against women wearing military-grade boots under their dresses...

or NOT!

Can you name one instance where the law in question broken by the Surgebinder was ridiculous as looking at a moose in an airplane?

Ym was an accomplice to murder, and Lift was helping thieves conduct robberies and stealing food herself. Surely you would agree that there being laws against murder and thievery are reasonable?

Can you name one instance where the law in question broken by the Surgebinder was ridiculous as looking at a moose in an airplane?

Ym was an accomplice to murder, and Lift was helping thieves conduct robberies and stealing food herself. Surely you would agree that there being laws against murder and thievery are reasonable?

You just want to be argumentative.

Moose in and Airplane?  why do you strive for hyperbole? More of that argumentativeness, I suppose?

Of course I don't have an example! I'm speculating!

...but for arguments sake, I'm glad I kept that Collection of Law for each land in Roshar.  If you don't have your own copy, this is going to be a very one-sided discussion! 

A bit more seriously, the division of Light-eyes and Dark-eyes in Alethkar and Jah Keved will certainly provide an abundance of injustice of the Laws in those lands.

Perhaps I'm taking for granted that others may have pondered how Truly terrible pure Justice can be!  Let alone Nin's version of Justice. Its Monstrous!  he's not adhering to Justice really,  but LAW! How many rediculous laws have you ever heard of in Real Life?  Now, add completely rigid punishiment for every law. Futhermore there is No recourse to challenge that law or seek a more merciful penalty because of any circumstances.

Its a terrifying thing.

Perhaps I'm taking for granted that others may have pondered how Truly terrible pure Justice can be!  Let alone Nin's version of Justice. Its Monstrous!  he's not adhering to Justice really,  but LAW! How many rediculous laws have you ever heard of in Real Life?  Now, add completely rigid punishiment for every law. Futhermore there is No recourse to challenge that law or seek a more merciful penalty because of any circumstances.

Its a terrifying thing.

More terrifying than a highstorm blowing the wrong way, thereby neutralizing all their protective measures, along with transforming all the worlds servants into dangerous monsters? I'd have to say the ends justified the means had the ends been achieved.

I think it is going to be hard to write the fact that they know each other without requiring anyone to have read Warbreaker. Perhaps just a quick explanation to Kal by Zahel about how he created him, and then some avoidance about him not wanting to talk about it, but offering warnings. An interaction like that before or immediately after any Zahel and Nightblood interaction should make it work, right? 

Imagine Nale crouching on a traffic light, waiting for jaywalkers.

"For this you shall die!"

He's also waiting for drivers to make lane changes without their turn signal!

On a serious note though, why hasn't Nalan tried to kill Kaladin?

Basically everything he did as a slave was illegal, as was his slandering Amaran.  Plus he and his family stole the spheres in Hearthstone.  If Nalan really wanted to kill all proto-radiants, then why hasn't he taken advantage of this golden opportunity?  Maybe Nalan WANTED Kaladin to kill Szeth?

Basically everything he did as a slave was illegal, as was his slandering Amaran.  Plus he and his family stole the spheres in Hearthstone.  If Nalan really wanted to kill all proto-radiants, then why hasn't he taken advantage of this golden opportunity?  Maybe Nalan WANTED Kaladin to kill Szeth?

So many Surgebinding criminals, so little time?

Kaladin's father stole the spheres, not Kaladin. I'm not sure what all Kaladin did that was illegal - he lied to Gaz, but that isn't illegal. Maybe Kaladin roughing up Gaz a little counts as illegal? Kaladin never officially deserted Sadeas, and I doubt it's illegal to attempt escape when you were unlawfully made a slave. Even if it was, Kaladin was already punished for attempting escape, so Nalan wouldn't be able to administer "justice". And I think Elhokar pardoned Kaladin at some point, so Kaladin 'slandering' Amaram doesn't quite work either.

Kaladin is something of a saint, all things considered. I can't think of anything Nalan could really pin him on.

Edited by Moogle

Kaladin is something of a saint, all things considered. I can't think of anything Nalan could really pin him on.

He ripped up Tvlakv's map. He blackmailed the apothecary. He steals from the dead. He bribed the runners to pick up his soldiers. Actually he has quite a few counts of bribery. Oh yeah, and he conspired to murder the king. I'm going to have to go with:

So many Surgebinding criminals, so little time?

He ripped up Tvlakv's map. He blackmailed the apothecary. He steals from the dead. He bribed the runners to pick up his soldiers. Actually he has quite a few counts of bribery.

Maybe on the map (I sincerely doubt destruction of minor property carries a death sentence anywhere, and the slaver didn't press charges or punish Kaladin at all), but I'm reasonably confident that the knobweed blackmail was not illegal (it was more or less just a business transaction - I doubt charging more than your goods are worth is illegal, and I am reasonably confident that Roshar is not advanced enough to have laws against price-fixing), "stealing" from the dead is most definitely not illegal (dead people don't own property), and I would be very surprised if Kal bribing Amaram's surgeons to do their job and help his soldiers is illegal. Kal bribing Gaz is illegal in what way, exactly? People can't pay other people to leave them alone?

Oh yeah, and he conspired to murder the king.

And Kaladin did exactly zero planning on said assassination, offered zero input on any plans, and was disabled while the plans were put in motion (he didn't even set up the shifts so that Moash would have easy access to the king), and then he saved said king.

You might be able to pin him on not telling Dalinar that Moash was involved in a plot to kill the king, but I think failure to report crime is not actually a crime in the vast majority of cases. The requirements to be considered part of a conspiracy to murder a king I imagine might actually include being part of the conspiracy rather than meeting the members two times and not doing anything.

Edited by Moogle