The Chat Thread

Archer

The sacrifices we make for the greater good of the plot. :(
She'll be passing what she remembers of her conversation to Lita which might give us a way to restumble onto the truth. But I figured that given this is the entire centre of the forgery that at least some of that conversation is very rapidly forgotten.

Also, ahhhhhhhh! So happy to be writing again and being able to read everyone else's lovely RP as well :D  

11 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

Yeah, we can shelve Poller for now. I’m also not sure… @ZincAboutIt, do you have any idea if the DA would react to someone being hospitalized with pre-Forged-memory symptoms? Because that’s part of why I’m wondering what would happen to him.

But yeah, if you want Folorian to go off on his own / with Emily then go ahead.

10 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

The DA would definitely be interested once they found out, yeah. Especially if they are remembering their other life.

If you want, Folorian and Emily can leave to go talk to Sanax, and in that time Poller's memories are altered back. They could break through again later, but that let's you leave Poller out of the plot. 

9 hours ago, mathiau said:

Ok, I'll ask @18th Shard's opinion then

Just let me know what direction you want to head and I'll start thinking about how to write it from my characters' end. 

4 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

@Voidus Aaargh so close! Laurelai was so close! XD I know that is the point of the plot but aaaaagh!

I had the exact same reaction. :lol: I appreciate the adherence to the plot line in spite of the torture you are causing us, @Voidus.

Wait, the Forgery can still make memory of the previous world disappear? It was not a one time thing?

I have no idea whether Null should be affected by that. He was affected by the Forgery because Shard level powers can affect aluminium (and because he sometimes stops burning) but these seem weaker, otherwise we wouldn't need the monsters. Obviously he should be affected when not burning aluminium but I'm not sure as for when he's burning it.

8 hours ago, 18th Shard said:

If you want, Folorian and Emily can leave to go talk to Sanax, and in that time Poller's memories are altered back. They could break through again later, but that let's you leave Poller out of the plot. 

Just let me know what direction you want to head and I'll start thinking about how to write it from my characters' end.

Going to talk to Sanax/accidentality meeting him is fine with me

One thing: Cassie and Byron are both largely unaffected by the Forgery, on account of arriving in the Alleyverse after its creation. (Byron is somewhat affected due to spending far longer in the Alleys than he should have, but I’m sort of scrapping the idea of him getting different memories/powers as he’s strong enough on his own).

Also… Cassie’s savantism has progressed. A lot. I don’t know what the endgame for a Soulcaster Savant really is, especially one more material than Kaza, but truth be told she doesn’t know either. So she’s worried.

She’s wondering if she could trap her consiousness within a gemstone, and have that let her survive a complete transformation into a metal woman. I’d have to figure out how it would change her character sheet, but it shouldn’t be too different. Most likely just +stronger, -slower or something.

Plus it gives her a reason to venture to the Cognitive Ward and find the plot a little more.

Any thoughts? It’ll probably actually happen as the Arc/Era shifts, but it’s a decent progression.

3 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

One thing: Cassie and Byron are both largely unaffected by the Forgery, on account of arriving in the Alleyverse after its creation.

So I know where you’re trying to say here but technically the Forgery would affect your characters even more than those who lived in the Alleyverse beforehand, since the current world is the only version they know. There is no dissonance in their personal history, so the distortions felt by others would be even more confusing. 
It’s possible they could experience the Forgery failing in noticing landmarks in the city momentarily changing, or watching people look at one another differently, or something like that. But their lack of internal dissonance would in fact make them much less likely to suspect a problem with the world.

7 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

So I know where you’re trying to say here but technically the Forgery would affect your characters even more than those who lived in the Alleyverse beforehand, since the current world is the only version they know. There is no dissonance in their personal history, so the distortions felt by others would be even more confusing. 
It’s possible they could experience the Forgery failing in noticing landmarks in the city momentarily changing, or watching people look at one another differently, or something like that. But their lack of internal dissonance would in fact make them much less likely to suspect a problem with the world.

I think... yeah. Cassie and Byron's histories aren't changed, so they're not regaining memories. They're affected by the Alleyverse being different, but Byron's only gotten a touch of that so far and Cassie is just flat out unaware because she's been busy with Lord and the Ghostbloods. So I need a way to make her aware. 

7 hours ago, mathiau said:

Wait, the Forgery can still make memory of the previous world disappear? It was not a one time thing?

I have no idea whether Null should be affected by that. He was affected by the Forgery because Shard level powers can affect aluminium (and because he sometimes stops burning) but these seem weaker, otherwise we wouldn't need the monsters. Obviously he should be affected when not burning aluminium but I'm not sure as for when he's burning it.

Going to talk to Sanax/accidentality meeting him is fine with me

I was thinking the monsters resetting memory actually. Should've been more clear about that. 

2 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Scanning the intersection, Aln spotted a plain door set into the corner. "Records Room". Perfect. She walked over and grabbed the doorknob. Miraculously, it was unlocked. She marveled at her luck - she thought for sure someone would have stopped her by now - then froze. On the other side of the door was a blond haired woman currently combing through paperwork. For a split second Aln considered just closing the door and leaving, but it was too late. She'd clearly been noticed.

@Voidus

1 hour ago, Voidus said:

Nights why does nothing ever go smoothly? Laurelai lamented as she forced her face to impassivity. Three minutes in the room and someone else bursts in, I'd barely even begun to pull out the current patient files let alone start cross referencing.
She gave a tired smile and a nod towards the doctor before pausing and tilting her head a fraction. Was she new? Laurelai was not deeply involved enough with any of the administration to be a part of the hiring process but there was usually some chatter when there was a recent hire. Perhaps she'd simply missed it with everything else that had been going on recently.
"Hey." She said, attempting to noncommittally greet her. "Are you new here? Looking for anything in particular?"
Just find her what she needs and get her out of here as quickly as possible.

4 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

"I - yes, I am new. I mean, um, hello. Just- just looking for some records for a patient." Aln desperately shoved her hands into her pockets to disguise their shaking. It was just lying. The woman didn't have any reason to be suspicious yet. She could do this. She had to do this. 

She took a step forward, clearing her throat unnecessarily. "Specifically, I have a patient who's exhibiting some odd symptoms, and I was hoping to check old records to see if there has been anything like them reported before. To see if there's precedent for treatment methods, you see." 

This is beautiful and hilarious and I love it.

@Voidus Should I have Lita send Laurelai Alleycant messages via this thread or the DA one considering she is located there? Trying to be plot consistent but also location consistent :P 

edit: actually I will just keep her in the DA thread, I have something else to do there too

Edited by ZincAboutIt

6 hours ago, 18th Shard said:

@ZincAboutIt I had Xanas ask Counterintelligence for a report on Sanax's room from the hospital. Right now, I'm assuming just some random Denizen would get the request and send for the info, but if Lita want Lita to notice it, go ahead.

Either option is fine with me. Lita would probably get notified of the request since it came from another department, but if you want to keep Xanas’ activities regarding Sanax more under the radar or can pass beneath her notice for now.

16 hours ago, 18th Shard said:

I was thinking the monsters resetting memory actually. Should've been more clear about that. 

I'm not sure what you're talking about. This is not what happened to Laurelai, is it?

Edited by mathiau

13 hours ago, mathiau said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. This is not what happened to Laurelai, is it?

No, but she's pretty central to the Forgery, being Voidus' daughter. For most everyone else, Aylitha sends a monster to wipe their memories. 

Also, @Ashbringer, I just added a post from Emily finishing up Poller's visit. If you want me to edit it at all, let me know, but I basically had him sent to the pharmacy and then asked to sit down for 20 minutes or so before being released. That should give you freedom to do as you want with him. @mathiauFolorian can go with him or break off and go somewhere else in the hopsital if you want. 

1 minute ago, 18th Shard said:

No, but she's pretty central to the Forgery, being Voidus' daughter. For most everyone else, Aylitha sends a monster to wipe their memories. 

Also, @Ashbringer, I just added a post from Emily finishing up Poller's visit. If you want me to edit it at all, let me know, but I basically had him sent to the pharmacy and then asked to sit down for 20 minutes or so before being released. That should give you freedom to do as you want with him. @mathiauFolorian can go with him or break off and go somewhere else in the hopsital if you want. 

Poller should be fine on his own, but he's semi-intentionally being a guinea pig to see if anyone reacts to someone experiencing his symptoms. I'm not sure if there is that besides Aylitha's monsters (ie the somewhat large DA presence in the hospital taking notice), so I'm fine with him either sitting there for the foreseeable future or potentially getting reset / attacked / interrogated. He's tougher than he looks, especially with some of his leaked memories of some Alley War.

13 hours ago, mathiau said:

Iirc people can choose how their characters interact with the memories, if you don't want the memories to be reset constantly, they don't have too. The monsters resetting them can be there as an in universe excuse to why their memories seem to disappear even after initially remembering.

33 minutes ago, Fatebreaker said:

Dang, feels good to get something written after all this time. I can't wait to actually see the plot I planned almost 3 years ago play out.

Its awesome to read your stuff, and its very interesting to see how a different character impacts my interpretation of the plot. When I played Mac I viewed it through his eyes, which was fairly carefree knowing that I could at the very least blast my way out of any bad situations. Now I'm terrified of it, knowing exactly how godlike the stranger is and how little I could impact it. 

9 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

Its awesome to read your stuff, and its very interesting to see how a different character impacts my interpretation of the plot. When I played Mac I viewed it through his eyes, which was fairly carefree knowing that I could at the very least blast my way out of any bad situations. Now I'm terrified of it, knowing exactly how godlike the stranger is and how little I could impact it. 

That's part of what I've been excited for with the arc, is it really takes the Stranger to the extremes of the character, creating wildly different viewpoints. And the nature of the new world is that even the weakest characters have the potential to change everything.

Just now, MacThorstenson said:

I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest, I might need to make a new character just to assuage my fears :ph34r:

The trick is to make a Faustian bargain with the immortal terror god and become his little pawn so at the very least he’ll kill you last :P  The Lita Method