Darkness

Favorite Sanderson Book  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Which Brandon Sanderson Book is your favourite?

• The Way of Kings
    • Words of Radiance
    • Elantris
    • The Emperor's Soul
    • Hero of Ages
    • Well of Ascension
    • The Final Empire
    • Alloy of Law
    • Shadows of Silence
    • Warbreaker
    • Steelheart
    • The Rithmatist
    • One of Alcatraz
    • One of the Wheel of Time
    • Something else
    • Still hasn't come out yet. I'm saving all my love for that special some-book

The website http://www.bestbookread.com/ is running a poll on the book that has 'touched your life' the most.

So far, over 13,000 people have voted on this list, and notice goes out to each person about the top 20 books at the end of the poll.

Words of Radiance only has one vote. Mine. Please change that and get the news of this book out to people who haven't read it!

This is a little way to say "thank you" to Team Sanderson, and maybe get a few more people interested in this beautiful book!

As a side vote, I've been wondering which Brandon Sanderson book is the fan-favorite! Feel free to click it here, but please also get to the link and spread the schtick!

The Final Empire because it's a standalone book and anyone can read and enjoy it without any prequels and sequels. SA books are bigger and BS has improved a lot and a lot of cool stuff happens there but for me nothing(what I care about) in these two books has topped TFE.

I am firmly of the belief now that Words of Radiance is Brandon's best work, in terms of the writing being great, the story really sucking me in, and (I think) having his best ending yet. The truth is that The Emperor's Soul is probably his most literary book, and its very accessible, so I may vote for that one in the link.

I had a really tough time deciding between TWoK and WoR (not that I don't love the rest of them, because I do. Especially Mistborn, I love Mistborn.. and Warbreaker.. and Elantris.. and I'll stop rambling now), but ultimately I decided on TWoK because it was such a great introduction into such a great series, and Kaladin.

I voted for both of the Stormlight Archive books and the Emperor's Soul. While I like the rest of his books, I don't feel like they touched me as these three did.

I am annoyed that I cannot down-vote the Secret. EDIT: Make that most of the top ten books.

Edited by Aether

I'm going to have to go for Mistborn, though only because it was my completely unexpected introduction to the wonderfulness that is Brandon Sanderson. It'll always hold a special place in my heart, so I'm 100% biased. If I weren't, I'd probably say one of the Stormlight Archive books or Hero of Ages, since I loved those books a lot.

[thatguy]

As a side note, why the heck is this in the WoR subforum and not Brandon Discussion?

[/thatguy]

Voted for Final Empire.  The SA books are better, but they didn't have nearly the impact on me that the Mistborn trilogy did.  And I only voted for one, in keeping with the word 'favourite' implying 'one.'  Even then, if Kaladin hadn't been so terrible in WoR I might have voted for it as well, as it is otherwise superior to WoK in basically every regard and his best-written book to date. 

I had to vote for two, WoK and The Final Empire. When I think back to reading these books, I was immersed to the same degree with both. If it wasn't for all the pictures in WoK, I'd have poured over the first Mistborn almost as long after finishing it. Can't do anything about tie, now can we? XD

I also had to vote for two, (and by that I mean I deleted my vote and revoted, because it was an agonizing decision and I didn't realize there was a loophole.)

Mistborn is incredible. The subtly that was put into the book still astounds me. Not only that, but Vin is an incredible character, and without equal throughout all of the cosmere. I've also got a strong emotional attachment to Mistborn. I found it during one of the most stressful times of my life, and it acted as a sort of life preserver for me. I was working about 65-70 hours a week unpaid for school, and being able to read Mistborn during my downtime at clinicals really kept me afloat.

On the other hand, Words of Radiance. Enough said.

Edited by EMTrevor

It was tough to choose between the Way of Kings and Words of Radiance. They are both so great! I gave it to the Way of Kings because it really opened up my eyes and imagination to the epic-ness that books can be. It really set the bar for all fantasy books thereafter. And Words of Radiance certainly lived up to it.

Alloy of Law, for me. The plot is tight, characters fun, and the story pulls on your nostalgia, deep thoughts, great action scenes, and weird-things-that-do-not-work-on-paper-but-are-awesome (bullet on bullet, anyone?) that just make for the funnest read.

Stormlight Archive both of them!!

But since i have to choose WOR because it is the newest and progresses the story!! XD

WOK reached out and grabbed me into the Cosmere and i have now read all of the Cosmere books never have i read a series like it. Warbreaker is my fave after SA, I like Mistborn but it's no match for Kaladin, Dalinar and Wit. It's such a unique and diverse world rich in world building and originality.

I am now literally obsessed with the characters and plot and plan on seeing the Cosmere all come together!

XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   XD   

I voted "Something Else" in addition to my other votes because there was no Legion option.

Legion, despite its comparative brevity, is one of my favorite works of Brandon Sanderson and is one of the precious few I own a physical copy of. The opening line is one of the best hook sentences I have ever read. The characters are dynamic and engaging, despite the fact that only a small fraction of them are "real" within the narrative of the story. The camera that features so heavily in the story is one of the coolest items I have seen in any speculative fiction. And the sequel groundwork leaves me hanging and anxious for more.

On a side note, why is Shadows of Self on the list? It is unpublished, and only a sample of a draft is available.

Like some it was between WoK and WoR for me and I want for WoK because it was the introduction to a great series and one of my favourite character Kaladin.

But saying that I really enjoyed The Final Empire, Rithmatist and Alcatraz. But it had to be The Way of Kings for me

Definitely The Way of Kings! It's a special book for me. I was undergoing a very difficult time when reading WoK. Kaladin's story arc gave me so much strength to live a better life. I was deeply impressed by Dalinar giving his own Blade to save the bridgemen. It is one of the best scenes I've read in fantasy during these years. Also, everything on Roshar simply attracts me. I don't know why but I know it does =)

I also voted WoR as my favourite, too, because it is Shallan's book, who is my favourite female character across the Cosmere. I enjoyed her POV chapters very much. Plus, the whole thing in WoR is as awesome as WoK. (Maybe more?)

My third vote went for the last option, since I'm still waiting for Hoid's books and the Cosmere prequel.

Last, I have to admit that it's a difficult choice. Every Cosmere book has its own greatness!

The Way of Kings is the best I've read thus far. Sure, people are saying Words of Radiance is better. I think that's because it answers so many questions we had before, plus the tons of easter eggs we got regarding the Cosmere.

Story-wise though, TWoK was far, far more noteworthy. That scene when Dalinar confronts Sadeas was absolutely lovely, especially because of what he did - it was storming symbolic. Kaladin's decision in the novel's climax too, and the part where he said what he needed to say was absolutely thrilling. My mind just folded in on itself and said 'nope' from the sheer awesomeness.

The Final Empire is a close second, and I loved the heist theme to it - it reminded me so much of Inception (my favorite film), especially where Kelsier was laying out the plans to overthrow the TLR, not to mention when he taught Vin of Allomancy. The twist is the best I've seen in Cosmere novels thus far as well - despite Vin being the main character of the trilogy, in all honesty that book was Kelsier's book; the culmination of his character arc and his vengeance against TLR. The Inquisitor fight was pretty good as well, especially the part leading up to the fight and its ending.

I think the Emperor's Soul gets too little attention here. It is arguably his best written book, in terms of concise story-telling and prose, and it gave us a lot of insight into Realmatics. Shai is also a really interesting character, and her relationship and interactions with Gaotona are sweet and well written. Also, Soulforging is also one of the most interesting and innovative magic systems to date.

On a side note, why is Shadows of Self on the list? It is unpublished, and only a sample of a draft is available.

I assumed the entry of Shadows of Silence is referring to Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell. Which after a little consideration is my favourite story that I've read by Brandon, yes the plot is a lot more predictable than his other works but the characters and atmosphere are some of his best.