4 minutes ago, Sazedezas said:

Mightwielder hasn't appeared yet, and I just thought of a nifty change we could make. It would both tone him down and make him more versatile.

Essentially, rather than just gathering insane amounts of power if left alive for more than a few weeks, his power collection could empty every time he sleeps. This would allow him to use Blank's power without shooting streams of fire, and would force him to gather new powers every day. Then he could use caffeine to strategically hold on to powers for a bit longer, and people could drug him to remove his powers. It could be specifically NREM Stage 1, so that just dozing off for a second wouldn't reset his power set.

Sound good?

That is a lot more balanced.  Maybe a few days though, so it would make sense for him to arrive in Edmonton with no powers but gain powers and keep them during the rp.

edit: my power activates again!

Edited by The Young Pyromancer

4 minutes ago, Sazedezas said:

Mightwielder hasn't appeared yet, and I just thought of a nifty change we could make. It would both tone him down and make him more versatile.

Essentially, rather than just gathering insane amounts of power if left alive for more than a few weeks, his power collection could empty every time he sleeps. This would allow him to use Blank's power without shooting streams of fire, and would force him to gather new powers every day. Then he could use caffeine to strategically hold on to powers for a bit longer, and people could drug him to remove his powers. It could be specifically NREM Stage 1, so that just dozing off for a second wouldn't reset his power set.

Sound good?

Sounds fun.

Just now, The Young Pyromancer said:

That is a lot more balanced.  Maybe a few days though, so it would make sense for him to arrive in Edmonton with no powers but gain powers and keep them during the rp.

Actually, he gains all of his extra powers in-game, because he has lived in Edmonton all his life and is only Rendedizated in the first or second day. I liked that idea because then he would go back the basics a few time in the RP.

Random idea: in addition to Voidus' power tiers, and the PRT threat classification system, I want to suggest some basic power categories:

• Offensive (Ability that is used to damage/hinder people or infrastructure, Ranged/Melee/AoE)
  • Defensive (Ability that protects the user and/or others against a threat)
  • Information (Ability that is used to gather and/or interpret information)
  • Deception (Ability that is used to mislead or otherwise influence people)
  • Logistics (Ability that is used for transportation, communication, infrastructure, or resource aquisition)
  • Utility (Pretty much a catch-all for other types of applications)
  • Meta (Gifting/Enhancing/Nullifying/Assuming)

As you can see, these share similarities with the Worm classification system, except they don't measure the same thing that PRT threat-classifcation does. It doesn't classify the mechanics of the power (example: touch-based) but instead on the applications of the power (example: offensive). To highlight the difference: Atium allomancy would be a straight Thinker power in Worm, but in terms of application, it is purely Offensive/Defensive, and not particularly Informational at all.

Note that certain powers have quite a few applications, either because they are crazy strong and/or open-ended, or because Heart is an Awesome Power (I could make a case for why Skitter's powerset falls under every single one of the above categories, except maybe Meta). The idea is to measure the concrete usefulness of the power as opposed to anything else. This categorization may be incomplete or otherwise biased in some way, so feel free to point out it's failings.

18 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Random idea: in addition to Voidus' power tiers, and the PRT threat classification system, I want to suggest some basic power categories:

• Offensive (Ability that is used to damage/hinder people or infrastructure, Ranged/Melee/AoE)
  • Logistics (Ability that is used for transportation, communication, infrastructure, or resource aquisition)

As you can see, these share similarities with the Worm classification system, except they don't measure the same thing that PRT threat-classifcation does. It doesn't classify the mechanics of the power (example: touch-based) but instead on the applications of the power (example: offensive). To highlight the difference: Atium allomancy would be a straight Thinker power in Worm, but in terms of application, it is purely Offensive/Defensive, and not particularly Informational at all.

Note that certain powers have quite a few applications, either because they are crazy strong and/or open-ended, or because Heart is an Awesome Power (I could make a case for why Skitter's powerset falls under every single one of the above categories, except maybe Meta). The idea is to measure the concrete usefulness of the power as opposed to anything else. This categorization may be incomplete or otherwise biased in some way, so feel free to point out it's failings.

I'd argue for a creation category as well, cause that's a relatively common power and it doesn't fit too much with anything else.

Meta is probably not necessary, because ranking it using the others is actually more informative.  We already know what the powers do, we just don't necessarily know how good they are at what they do, which is what rating systems are for.

Fair point.

I decided to consider Meta it's own thing because it's immediate effect is increasing/decreasing/altering powers in people, which is difficult to classify as anything else, even if it might situationally lend itself to other uses.

But I could see a strong case for it not being a category in terms of how powers are used. Cancelers are pretty clearly Offensive applications, and Dowsers are pretty clearly Informational applications. Assumers/Gifters/Enhancers are a little harder to place. What classifications would you consider Nicroburst?

2 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

I'd argue for a creation category as well, cause that's a relatively common power and it doesn't fit too much with anything else.

I was thinking creating stuff would typically be considered a Utility, although depending on what it can create, it may branch out into other applications as well (quite possibly logistical if the ability can create things on a large scale, and offensive if the ability can create dangerous stuff).

10 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

What classifications would you consider Nicroburst?

A combination of offensive, defensive, and utility.  Because he is offensively activating others powers in ways that might hurt them, defensively turning their powers off, and supporting others with boosts.

Say, maybe we should have all in-combat other applications be Support and have out of combat applications be Tactical.

1 hour ago, Drake Marshall said:

Might be more useful to have it as an additional rating system on a per-Epic basis rather than per-power.
Many powers fit under multiple categories to various degrees, teleportation would mainly be logistically useful but may be able to be used offensively, or multiple powers may combine together to become more than the sum of their parts.

6 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

Yes, it is meant to apply more to powersets than particular powers, because of the points you raised.

Random question: could Kokichi use their power to create something along the lines of a tulpa?

No.

EDIT: Actually, I should probably go next with Kokichi as they'll probably lose their cool. They don't like being threatened. 

Edited by winter devotion

Taya does have gifted powers, correct.

I deliberately left it unclear, because I do not know if that would set off a Dowser (did the Reckoners ever use their Dowser while gifted with Prof's abilities?), and it may very well depend on the epic the Dowser was created from.

I am leaving that up to your discretion.

Edited by Drake Marshall

And that is why Kokichi is one of the most terrifying characters in the Reckonerverse.  Kinda horrifying fact: Other people who figure out how their abilities work can use them to create an equally scary if not more so face. I’m sure that won’t have any consequences at all. 

1 hour ago, winter devotion said:

And that is why Kokichi is one of the most terrifying characters in the Reckonerverse.  Kinda horrifying fact: Other people who figure out how their abilities work can use them to create an equally scary if not more so face. I’m sure that won’t have any consequences at all. 

Yet another reason kokichi and Jacklyn should meet.

Also, Blank has a lot of brute force control, so they are going to pull something here that is not perfect, but should progress the story.  

8 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Yet another reason kokichi and Jacklyn should meet.

Also, Blank has a lot of brute force control, so they are going to pull something here that is not perfect, but should progress the story.  

It's basically impossible for them to react in any way other than fear, fyi. How familiar they are with Kokichi's powers and dark side along with their personality is what determines how terrified they are. I'd say at least a minor freak out is justified.  
EDIT: They basically rolled the equivalent of a d20 on intimidation. 

Edited by winter devotion

7 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

It's basically impossible for them to react in any way other than fear, fyi. How familiar they are with Kokichi's powers and dark side along with their personality is what determines how terrified they are. I'd say at least a minor freak out is justified.  
EDIT: They basically rolled the equivalent of a d20 on intimidation. 

As an illusionist, and because of the short duration of time viewed, and because Blank was already wary, I had them not react as strongly as they would have otherwise.

Also, blackout doesn’t mean no sun.  It means no LIGHT.  At all. Except for in South common, where you can see just fine, except for the area beyond it, which is black.

As an illusionist, and because of the short duration of time viewed, and because Blank was already wary, I had them not react as strongly as they would have otherwise.

Also, blackout doesn’t mean no sun.  It means no LIGHT.  At all. Except for in South common, where you can see just fine, except for the area beyond it, which is black.

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. 

Also, this is gonna be interesting.