Divergent/Insurgent/Allegiant

So, I'm just as swayed by most of the characters in this film as I was by those in The Hunger Games/Catching Fire, and while the Divergent franchise might well be compared to The Hunger Games franchise, I saw Divergent and loved it just as much as I did both The Hunger Games and Catching Fire (and look forward to Mockingjay, Part 1 & Part 2, plus Insurgent, and Allegiant, Part 1 & Part 2). Seriously, though, I thought Shailene Woodley was awesome, Theo James was incredible, Ashley Judd was amazing, and the ending was way more than surprising. (I'll say no more.)

Edited by Tamzin Ashevai

It exceeded my expectations which were, admittedly, low. I found it to be a much more entertaining story than I had planned. I actually came out of it feeling hopeful for the next film. Divergent is more of a teen book series, so I can understand some of this, but the movie came of extremely cheesy several times. If they catch a couple of those on the next film, it will be fantastic. The characters were pretty good though. Honestly, my favorite actor of all of them was they Dauntless instructor (not the main character one). He was phenomenal and being a jerk - very believable. Considering picking up the other books, but I kind of need movies that I don't already know the story to, hahaha. 

Haven't seen the new movie but gonna have to go with Rooster on the books. I thought the first one was alright but lost all interest half way through the second. My sister didn't like how the whole series ended so I think I'll wait till all the movies are all out and there is feedback on how they are as a whole before I decide to watch them or not.

I thought the movie was well-made, considering the material they had to work with. I've read the three books, wasn't really impressed, and although I knew what to expect, the movie still surprised me in a good way. The cast was chosen well, the villains creepy and easy to hate, the special effects moderately impressive, and overall, it left me with a very satisfied feeling.

I watched it with friends who never read the series, and they were quite happy with it. It was entertaining and mildly violent, and the cheesiness balanced it out.

Am hoping that they will do a great job on the sequel, too.

I really hated the books. I read the first one and then got about 1/4 of the way thru book #2 and realize "Hey, I don't HAVE to read this!" and quit it. I just think the premise doesn't work for me.

Same here except I dropped it after reading 1/2 of first book. Hunger Games was better, at least first book.

Haven't seen the new movie but gonna have to go with Rooster on the books. I thought the first one was alright but lost all interest half way through the second.

I thought the first book was okay, although I had the wrong expectations of it due to a badly-written blurb. Second book I HATED (oh the deus ex machina! And contrived fighting between Tris and Four that totally felt like "well I have to give this book some kind of tension".) I've heard the third book is very different though, so I might read it eventually.

Read first book, good but I'm not too interested in books 2-3 unless someone can promise it gets much better. I'm in the minority when I say I disliked the movie for bad plot holes and deviations as well as not being too entertaining.

• 1 month later...

I read the books before watching the movie, but I have to say it did a better job on screen than in writing. I don't think The Hunger Games is as good, though. There's just something about the atmosphere of their innocent trouble-making that makes me enjoy it more. I do like other series and books better than it though.

I read the first book and enjoyed it but lost interest after reading the second book. I am torn between reading the final book in the trilogy as closure would be nice, but i'm afraid of bad endings or stories that lose their steam and luster like the Twilight Series or Catching Fire.

I do want to watch the movie though. 

I read the first book and enjoyed it but lost interest after reading the second book. I am torn between reading the final book in the trilogy as closure would be nice, but i'm afraid of bad endings or stories that lose their steam and luster like the Twilight Series or Catching Fire.

Ditto. I'll probably read the third book when I eventually get round to it, probably when it's not reserved at the library anymore. I heard recently that book 3 is very different to 1 and 2 so that makes me slightly more enthusiastic (ie, still not very) to finish the trilogy.