Your favorite inanimate object

EmanEmal

So I've seen lots of threads about favorite characters and the like, but here I ask the question what is your favorite thing?

My favorite is Kaladin's belt knife of last resort, the one he is always pointing at people who are probably about to kill him, and that he makes that shardbarer yield with in the arena. Special mention to the part where he drops it at the end of the book, that was just so perfect and it marked how totally out of gas he was. It was amazing.

That knife is so cool, just imagine if it was able to talk and it was chilling with the other knives and it would be all "and then the assassin in white just bolted into the sky, screaming, at the sight of my pure awesomeness." and then the other knives would be all kinds of impressed and crown him as their king and build him a throne made out of knife blades and sharp stuff and the belt knife would sit in it and rule over all knives as king of the pointy things.

the end. B)

What makes you think that there isn't exactly that throne in the Cognitive Realm? If Shallan ever goes and talks to the knife she's in for a surprise.

• 1 year later...

Since rocks were mentioned up-thread, the Most hated inanimate object comes to mind more easily: Szeth's oathstone. It makes bad things happen.

Favorite object: the leaf Syl gives to Kaladin.

Szeth's Oathstone. Using nothing but the power of the bluff, that Stone ends Gavilar, starts the Parshendi war, prevents the return of the Parshendi gods, CAUSES the return of the Parshendi gods, gets numerous low-lifes killed, advances the Diagram, causes the fall of multiple kingdoms, and lastly caused the return of the first of the Skybreakers.

Not bad for a little stone.

It was a haaaarrd call, but I believe Szeth's stone comes first because of what it means to him, followed closely by the Diagram, because i just love how West Wall Psalm of Wonders sounds, and it is in some ways Taravangian's own secret, terrible, dark master in a way.

Stormlight. Stormlight is my favorite inanimate object because it's not an object. It's a force... *Makes stupid whooshing sound*

No offense, but you kind of out-clevered yourself here. I mean doesn't an inanimate object have to be, well... an object?

And as for my favorite inanimate object, I am going to have to go for the rock that Rock was named for. I mean, it gave him the name Numuhukumakiaki'aialuminor. You know, I'm not sure whether to feel proud that I didn't read on in WoK until I had that memorized or embarrassed...

Second to stick, (who obviously is first because of his unswerving commitment to being a stick,) is probably the ropes that bound the sailors. If I may include a quote [Edit: from the Jasnah reading]:

“You,” she commanded, “will change.”

“I am a rope,” one of them said. “I am—”

You will change.

At least rope tried.

Edited by WeiryWriter
please put quotes from unpublished material in spoiler tags