Who the heck is Tarah?

V'rish Makik

He mentioned her Twice in TWoKs and once on WoR. She is someone Kaladin met after Tien died while he was training in the spear. I do wonder if he will see her again. Laral is married to Reshone so there is no chance for him with her.

He mentioned her Twice in TWoKs and once on WoR. She is someone Kaladin met after Tien died while he was training in the spear. I do wonder if he will see her again. Laral is married to Reshone so there is no chance for him with her.

Can you give me some chapter references in the WoK and WoR where he mentions Tarah? I would like to go over them.

'Three Glyphs,' Ch 62, TWoK:

“No. I know I’m not.” He looked up at the overcast sky. “But that means the failures were all just me. I let Tien die, I failed my spearmen, the slaves I tried to rescue, Tarah…” He hadn’t thought of her in some time. His failure with her had been different from the others, but a failure it was nonetheless. “If there’s no curse or bad luck, no god above being angry at me—I have to live with knowing that with a little more effort—a little more practice or skill—I could have saved them.”

'Fear,' Ch 63, TWoK:

Kaladin remembered feeling such dedication. He’d spent a year like that, after Tien’s death, driving himself to exhaustion each day. Determined to get better. Determined never to let another person die because of his lack of skill. He’d become the best in his squad, then the best in his company. Some said he’d been the best spearmen in Amaram’s army.

What would have happened to him, if Tarah hadn’t coaxed him out of his single-minded dedication? Would he have burned himself out, as she’d claimed?

'Bridges,' Ch 68, WoR:

“People think I know a lot about women,” Adolin said. “The truth is, I know how to get them— how to make them laugh, how to make them interested. I don’t know how to keep them.” He hesitated. “I really want to keep this one.”

“So . . . tell her that, maybe?” Kaladin said, thinking back to Tarah, and the mistakes he’d made.

'Striding the Storm,' Ch 74, WoR:

“I killed my father,” Shallan whispered.

Kaladin looked toward her. In a flash of light, he saw her eyes as she looked up from where her head had been resting against his chest, beads of water on her eyelashes. With his hands around her waist, hers around him, it was as close as he’d held a woman since Tarah.

Those are the 4 passages that refer to Tarah (by name, at least).

'Three Glyphs,' Ch 62, TWoK:

'Fear,' Ch 63, TWoK:

'Bridges,' Ch 68, WoR:

'Striding the Storm,' Ch 74, WoR:

Those are the 4 passages that refer to Tarah (by name, at least).

Wow.. I can't believe I don't remember any of those mentions. Maybe it's because she wasn't in an actual scene? Do we have any clue as to when Kaladin was with Tarah? While he was in Amaram's army I presume? That first passage I think I thought of Tarah as being the small girl he tried to save but failed and she died. What was her name?

Wow.. I can't believe I don't remember any of those mentions. Maybe it's because she wasn't in an actual scene? Do we have any clue as to when Kaladin was with Tarah? While he was in Amaram's army I presume? That first passage I think I thought of Tarah as being the small girl he tried to save but failed and she died. What was her name?

It's Miasal:

When he was done, the bleeding had stopped. He sat back, smiling. And then he noticed that Miasal’s head wound wasn’t bleeding either. Her chest wasn’t moving.

Based on what Kaladin says, we know that Tarah was after Tien's death, but definitely during Kaladin's time in Amaram's army. It also sounds like whatever happened happened shortly after Tien's death, putting it about 4 years into the past (~5 years ago Kaladin and Tien join, less than 4 months later Tien dies). Probably not too much later than that, since Kaladin says she's the one who prevented him from burning out training due to Tien's death.

I'm pretty obsessed with Laral so I hope this is not the case :P

• 1 month later...

Sorry to Necro this thread but I just realized that Tarah is a very symmetrical name. In WoR Shallan says that 'h' all by itself can be used to make symmetry without being blasphemous. I think that this points toward Tarah being at least a light eyes, if not a pretty important one.

It is doubtful a lighteye young woman would go for a darkeye squadleader... It would be scandalous if such thing happened. Besides, in the middle of a warcamp, the affair would have gone public and Kal would have suffer consequences.

Most likely she was a camp follower or the daughter of some higher ranked darkeye or maybe just a prostitute Kal ended up fancying.

Kal claims to be uninterested in lighteyed women and said he knew nothing of 'their species', so I highly doubt Tarah is one, else Kal would have had a reason to think lighteyes girls have redeeming qualities unlike lighteyes men.

Maybe she's a high-nahn darkeyes with a lighteyed name like Kaladin himself?

If that were the case, than what would she be doing in a warcamp? Are there many first and second nahn darkeyes in second rate warcamps? Kaladin is an exception. He is second dahn and he would never have been sent to war if not for Tien.

From Shallan POV, I gathered that higher ranked darkeyes were mostly wealthy merchants. Her father though it improper they would have more money than a high ranked ligtheye family such as his.

I've always imagined Tarah as the hooker with the heart of gold. Now, I'm really curious to see if she comes back, because that could lead to some very interesting conflict. 

Also, despite Adolin's reputation as a Serial Romeo, Kaladin is the guy who gets the most chicks in the SA. Women just flock to him. Why? And, lest Lopen be quoted, all of them were into Kaladin before he could glow.

Um... Isn't Tien the same nahn as him?

I am not sure. Tien was the carpenter's third apprentice, he most likely went down a nahn because of this. I have always assumed that Lirin was first nhan, Kal, second and Tien demoted to third because he was not chosen to be an apprentice surgeon.

We have a few examples in the book where children are a nhan lower than their parents. Shallan's father is of the fourth nhan: she mentions it a few times. When she goes spying on Amaram, she is nervous because he is one dhan above her father (third nahn) and thus two nahn above her (making Shallan of the fith nahn).

I've always imagined Tarah as the hooker with the heart of gold. Now, I'm really curious to see if she comes back, because that could lead to some very interesting conflict. 

Also, despite Adolin's reputation as a Serial Romeo, Kaladin is the guy who gets the most chicks in the SA. Women just flock to him. Why? And, lest Lopen be quoted, all of them were into Kaladin before he could glow.

Yeah Kal is a ladies man :P He has the dark moody grumpy bad boy thing going on. Many, many, many women are just drawn to that sort of guy...

Adolin is the other way around: he is the nice preppy kid from the good family. Most women were probably drawn to him because of his name and his social standing. Also, it doesn't help he just won't stop glancing at anything that moves probably wondering if that other women may be the right one :ph34r: The fact remains, he didn't manage to remain with the same girl for more than a few days, whereas Kal had Tarah for a while.....

Oh I so want Tarah to come back into the story :P