Lift saved Zahel?

What is it about being immortal that you end up being in jail all the time? Vasher, Axis, I'm sure Hoid has been in jail a time or two. I think I would get tired of jail or maybe not as I literally have eternity to do whatever I want.

When you are immortal, time is on your side, and society is arbitrary. At any given moment, society may have a certain action be illegal, but when your perspective is past that of just 70 years, until the end of your life, then you have time to spend in prison if caught going aganist society.

Very nice!  I'll subscribe to this idea.  The cosmere occasionally seems like a curiously small place...

On 7/13/2018 at 11:32 AM, whattheHoid said:

What is it about being immortal that you end up being in jail all the time? Vasher, Axis, I'm sure Hoid has been in jail a time or two. I think I would get tired of jail or maybe not as I literally have eternity to do whatever I want.

I think jail is a minor inconvenience for them as they also tend to be very bad at actually staying in jail.

My only issue with this theory is the timing. Zahel has been an Ardent owned by Dalinar long enough to have trained Adolin in the sword. 

I don't know if Zahel would be free to be imprisoned on the other side of Roshar for Lift to have met him. She's only 13.

Spoiler

Is Lift actually 13? It's so hard to tell because she just says she always 10 and I always got a little confused because of her boon from the Nightwatcher. I guess if that is her actual age and Adolin is what, 22, 23; maybe Lift couldn't have rescued him (Vasher) from a prison. Unless Lift has been 13 for a long time? Long enough to have rescued Vasher? That does seem unlikely. But we don't know what her boon and curse was from the Nightwatcher. At least the ability to touch Wyndle. Can she physically touch other spren too?

Edited by Pagerunner
Removed OB Spoilers

Yeah, Lift is actually thirteen. Or as she puts it, she's been ten for three years. She likes ten because she can count to it with her fingers, so between that and her request to the Nightwatcher she actually believes (until Edgedancer at least) that she actaually did stop aging at ten.

Right ok, I thought I remembered that. So it's definite that

Spoiler

Lift was born 13 years ago? Like the Nightwatcher didn't slow down the aging process a little? Her mannerisms are very childlike and when I imagine her I think of a small girl, but that's mostly because she seems so hungry all the time because she is constantly being Awesome.

Edited by whattheHoid

You know who I'm excited for Zahel/Vasher to see again... Nightblood! That I think is way more likely to happen, than for Lift and Zahel recognizing each other. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if she bothers him a little.

Edited by whattheHoid

14 hours ago, whattheHoid said:

(I imagine Nightblood has a male voice for some  reason)

I think Nightblood is referred to as a he somewhere in Warbreaker or Stormlight. I'm also pretty sure that Nightblood has said various things which suggest that he does not have any sense of time. I can't wait for the next Stormlight book.

Edited by Pagerunner
Removed OB Spoilers

14 hours ago, NiceBleach said:

I think Nightblood is referred to as a he somewhere in Warbreaker or Stormlight. I'm also pretty sure that Nightblood has said various things which suggest that he does not have any sense of time. I can't wait for the next Stormlight book.

Heartlight

What is Nightblood's opinions on gender, and who decided on him having he/him pronouns?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood is fascinated by gender, and trying to figure it out. Unlike spren like Syl, Nightblood has not self gender assigned as an influence of interacting with humans. That said, Vasher was probably the one who just started calling him He, so if you want to take the issue up with anyone, go to him.

I could've sworn there was another one, but oh well. For in-book references, Vasher (and Vivenna, I think) both hear Nightblood as male,

So, the gender you hear Nightblood talk as probably just depends on the person and possibly Nightblood at that moment.

Edited by Pagerunner
Removed OB Spoilers

Interseting. I wonder though how would Nightblood know what gender is or anything really?

Spoiler

Like when Shashara and Vasher created Nightblood, I know they gave him the command of destroying evil, but did that command include things like gender and whatnot? Like if Nightblood has no concept of time, hunger, what about sadness, happiness, to be surprised? How would Nightblood know his/her gender? Or is it the way you perceive Nightblood?

and Vivenna thinks that he's male? I guess because he's Awakened from a non-living object, so like a rock of iron for example, wouldn't know things like that? Does this make sense? Either way, I don't care what his/her gender is Nightblood is storming awesome!!

Edited by whattheHoid
Removed OB Spoilers

9 hours ago, whattheHoid said:

Interseting. I wonder though how would Nightblood know what gender is or anything really? Like when Shashara and Vasher created Nightblood, I know they gave him the command of destroying evil, but did that command include things like gender and whatnot? Like if Nightblood has no concept of time, hunger, what about sadness, happiness, to be surprised? How would Nightblood know his/her gender? Or is it the way you perceive Nightblood?

and Vivenna thinks that he's male? I guess because he's Awakened from a non-living object, so like a rock of iron for example, wouldn't know things like that? Does this make sense? Either way, I don't care what his/her gender is Nightblood is storming awesome!!

Yeah, that's basically how it works. Nightblood doesn't have a gender, so they'd kind of intrigued by the idea of gender. It doesn't really matter what gender Nightblood is at any given time, they probably just decided randomly, if the person wielding them doesn't affect it at all.

Edited by Pagerunner
Removed OB Spoilers

9 hours ago, whattheHoid said:

Interseting. I wonder though how would Nightblood know what gender is or anything really? Like when Shashara and Vasher created Nightblood, I know they gave him the command of destroying evil, but did that command include things like gender and whatnot? Like if Nightblood has no concept of time, hunger, what about sadness, happiness, to be surprised? How would Nightblood know his/her gender? Or is it the way you perceive Nightblood?

Nightblood is currently attempting to figure out how gender works. Vasher just kind of figured calling it "he" was easier than calling it "it," and Nightblood, a contextually lacking hunk of metal, does not have a good reference point for why.

Edited by Pagerunner
Removed OB Spoilers

2 minutes ago, whattheHoid said:

Ok, yeah I definitely don't feel comfortable calling Nightblood an it. It is fascinating to me to see a previously non sentient object figuring out morality (i.e. what is evil) and what's my gender?!

Just curious, why don't you feel comfortable calling Nightblood it? Would it be better to use them/they/their? Those pronouns can be used for gender-neutral.

Yeah I should have included plural pronouns too. :D  I just don't like it because Nightblood isn't a thing to me? Nightblood is either a he or a her or a both ( they , them). Nightblood is just special, I dunno it's like a gut feeling.

As a sapient sword, I personally think it would respond just fine to "it."

"It" is my preferred Nightblood pronoun.

Edit: also, just so you guys are aware. OB spoilers are only allowed in the spoiler board, Cosmere Discussion, and Cosmere Q&A. They aren't supposed to be on this board at all. Not even in spoiler boxes. 

Edited by Calderis