Hello Members of 17th Shard!

EmeraldMind

Hi all!

Just signed up for 17th shard yesterday after browsing for a few days. Thought I would post here and say Hi!

Figured I'd give a history of how I got into Sanderson's amazing work and see if I can get other people talking about how they got involved.

So, over here in Utah our High schools all compete in a massive literature/language/art competition called English Quest. I decided to join the competition in 2010. The competition has five books in five genres that are a required read to join the competition. In the fantasy category Mistborn was the book of the year. I read it, and had a lot of fun with it. I competed in the poetry recitation, monologue recitation, and short story writing competition, so none of my categories had to do with the book itself. However, I was supporting some friends who submitted a Mistborn to the movie trailer competition (had to be based on one of the books), and got reinvigorated with the book.

Amusingly, one of my best friends I met through work after high school also competed in English Quest 2010. My original post got hit with a spam warning, so I'm wondering if the video link did that. I'll submit that separately.

Anyway, after English Quest was over I went back to Mistborn to reread, and realized there were sequels. Que me reading the Era 1 trilogy with mad abandon. Got a few friends to read it and was pretty content. Then my high school librarian directed me to another Sanderson book the library had, Warbreaker. Great read, had fun with that. I didn't really hunt down what other works Sanderson had, but throughout high school I would borrow the Mistborn series every few months when I didn't feel like hunting down new books to read.

In my senior year Alloy of Law came out, and with Mistborn becoming one of my favorite books series, I decided to go purchase my own copy of the Mistborns and Warbreaker. Didn't have enough money to purchase anything else, but I noted Elantris existed at that time. Picked up Shadows of Self a few month after it came out (didn't realize it had been released), blinked, and picked up Bands of Mourning.

Eventually, after going through the books for the dozenth time or so I finally noticed the name "Hoid" popped up a lot. Informant in books one and three of Mistborn, and as the storyteller in Warbreaker. I go looking it up online thinking it was a reference of some sort. And cue me getting hit in the face with the Cosmere. Oh, colors!

I picked up the info about Hoid, and a few other tidbits I could pick up without spoiling myself to the other books. Being super busy with college, and not having any money had me put buying the other books on a back burner. Graduated early 2016, and ended up picking up the Reckoners series, not realizing they weren't connected to the Cosmere. In September of 2017, I went out and purchased Elantris, Emperors Soul, and the first two books of the Stormlight Archives. Lucky me, by the time I was done reading Words of Radiance it was only about a month until the release of Oathbringer (Mwahahaha, minimal waiting time!).

After I got done reading Oathbringer I dove into the Cosmere. Hung out mostly on Reddit and Coppermind learning all I could learn. Finally caught enough references to 17th shard (the forum) that I decided to wander over here a few days ago and check it out. I kept seeing theories and ideas I wanted to comment on so I decided to jump in!

I still need to go hunt down the Arcanum Unbound to read, but I want to get White Sand read first, so I am still just a little bit behind in becoming a Cosmere Scholar. I also skipped over Rithmatist since that was Sanderson's children's series. Might pick it up to check out his style, but at this moment I don't have money to spend on a book that isn't relevant to the Cosmere. I also read the first couple of books of the Wheel of Time before ever knowing Sanderson eventually took them over. I didn't like them, so I decided to stop reading the series. Been wondering for a couple of years if it might be worth the time to make another attempt at the series.

So that's my story! I'll be floating around this forum learning the formatting style and rules of the forum, and interjecting myself into conversation. Since Mistborn is my primary series that started all this, and one of my favorite books series of all time, I'll probably be focused over there most of the time!

-EmeraldMind

Welcome to the Shard! Firstly, I like your username! :D

Secondly, thank you for your story! And I was going to ask, but I think i see that Mistborn is your favorite. 

Also, look out for people offering free cookies, unless they are cerified otherwise, there is a high possibility that they contain hemalurgic spikes :ph34r:

Lastly, if you're interesting in social grouap and guilds, and a little bit of roleplay, check my signature (text below my post) 

Enjoy the Shard!

5 minutes ago, Stormblessed Dolphin said:

Also, look out for people offering free cookies, unless they are cerified otherwise, there is a high possibility that they contain hemalurgic spikes :ph34r:

I tried one of those cookies already. It was delicious, until I got a spike stuck in my tongue. On the downside, I lost my sense of taste. On the upside, I can store luck now!

3 minutes ago, ElephantEarwax said:

For initiation would you say, "My life to yours, my Breath become yours".

Sure, I should warn you that I have my breath stored in my shirt though...

Also I did not know that someone was using the spiked cookies as a recruitment tactic. I thought it was an in joke while I was wondering the forum.

2 minutes ago, ElephantEarwax said:

Nah. They are real. Have one, it's in my sig.

7 minutes ago, EmeraldMind said:

I tried one of those cookies already. It was delicious, until I got a spike stuck in my tongue. On the downside, I lost my sense of taste. On the upside, I can store luck now!

I found one just sitting on a plate while wandering around the forum. I tried it before I was warned about those colors cursed spikes.

25 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing. We’re glad to have you on the Shard with us. Who’s your favorite Sanderson character?

Probably Kelsier. His sense of optimism and relentless determination is something I admire and aspire to. I also appreciate him being a Drama King. Syl is an amazing character just because she is so fun. Favorite moment with her is when it is explained that she is a tiny sliver of a god and that Kaladin may "bow to her now." Lastly, Hoid, kind of. He is what brought me into the Cosmere. Also, I love a mysterious character (I actually hate it in stories when the mystery character is revealed, takes away the magic), and Hoid fills that niche and then some. Plus his time as Wit had me busting out laughing, even on rereads.

8 hours ago, Stormblessed Dolphin said:

Welcome to the Shard! Firstly, I like your username!

Me too! Reminds me of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7aDstrDMf0

I want a girl with a mind like an emerald

Who is fast, and thorough, and sharp as a tack...

Edited by go_go_gragdet
ugh, typed "and" instead of "an"

Welcome to the Shard!  I'm late to this party, so I'll just say a couple of things.

On 5/11/2018 at 6:54 PM, EmeraldMind said:

...see if I can get other people talking about how they got involved.

1) Your intro post is perhaps the best I've seen.  You might consider copying your story into this thread where folks share how they first heard about Brandon.  This may bring it to the attention of a larger crowd, and you can also check out the other accounts that have accumulated over the years (if you haven't already).

2) The spam filter here seems quite wary of links from folks with zero reputation.  It didn't let me insert an internal link into my first post.  Now that you have some reputation (including a well-deserved upvote from me), that problem should be solved.