Rioting and Soothing

Lord Meeker

Question

I know how the basics of Zinc and Brass work, but I had specific questions about the two of them. Is there a limit of emotions one can enflame or dampen? When dampening emotions, you can choose a dominate emotion to leave out and that is the emotion one would feel, (the opposite being enflaming one emotion)? What happens when one uses both rioting and soothing at the same time, ie, Dampening all but one emotion then enflaming that one emotion?

6 answers to this question

Rioting and Soothing are subtle arts. The most effective Mistings being those who can riot or soothe an emotion without being noticed. Soothing all but one emotion and rioting that same emotion would undoubtedly reveal the mistborn/mistings touch. Vin however, was exceptionally skilled and would sometimes help Elend by soothing his insecurity and rioting his confidence. This may be why she was so much better than Breeze who could only soothe emotions away and hope whatever emotion was left was strong enough to encourage action. So in answer to your question I would say it is definitely possible, but will only be effective when done by a Mistborn or a highly trained group of Mistings (like Breeze's group at the hideout) who is controlling both metals.

Edited by MistGyorn
Inaccuracy

13 minutes ago, Mraize said:

What happens when one uses both rioting and soothing at the same time, ie, Dampening all but one emotion then enflaming that one emotion?

There's a good explanation of his powers by Breeze in the scene in Mistborn where there's the the speech to the skaa at the soup kitchen, and Breeze and his Soothers work the crowd. Here's a link for the deleted scene that I found enlightening (I couldn't find the original easily, sorry). https://brandonsanderson.com/mistborn-deleted-scene-7/ 

Edited by Archer

2 hours ago, Archer said:

There's a good explanation of his powers by Breeze in the scene in Mistborn where there's the the speech to the skaa at the soup kitchen, and Breeze and his Soothers work the crowd. Here's a link for the deleted scene that I found enlightening (I couldn't find the original easily, sorry). https://brandonsanderson.com/mistborn-deleted-scene-7/ 

It's in Chapter 10, it's closer to the beginning of the chapter, as the scene starts with Vin arriving at the soup kitchen and meeting up with Breeze and he goes into his explanation right then and there, shortly after he discloses that he didn't have to do anything Allomantically to get wine from their attendant. Pushing and Pulling on motions is all about manipulating a person's natural disposition, at least the way Breeze sees it. It seems to function in a way similar to Hypnosis, in that it makes the target more susceptible to suggestion, but that they can still stop themselves from doing something that they don't really want to do. This is highlighted when Breeze has Vin pour him a cup of wine and she realizes that he's done something to her and she calls him out on it. My memory is getting a little fuzzy on this part, but I seem to recall Breeze saying that it's harder to Push/Pull an emotion if you don't go about it with a gentle touch, as when someone notices the manipulation they instantly begin to resist the effect you are trying to create. I think there's some clever wording about Kelsier and his being not so adept at this aspect of Allomancy.

What happens when one uses both rioting and soothing at the same time, ie, Dampening all but one emotion then enflaming that one emotion?

There's a scene in Hero of Ages where this happens. It's at the end of chapter 41, 5 last paragraphs.

I'd post the excerpt but I'm new here and not yet sure of the policy regarding spoilers and excerpts.

On 5/1/2018 at 1:23 AM, go_go_gragdet said:

There's a scene in Hero of Ages where this happens. It's at the end of chapter 41, 5 last paragraphs.

I'd post the excerpt but I'm new here and not yet sure of the policy regarding spoilers and excerpts.

Vin does it more than once, I think. I do remember that she Soothes everything away but fear, and then Riots the fear, when she forces Kliss to tell her what she knew about a plot against Elend at the last ball before the skaa rebellion broke out.

29 minutes ago, robardin said:

Vin does it more than once, I think. I do remember that she Soothes everything away but fear, and then Riots the fear, when she forces Kliss to tell her what she knew about a plot against Elend at the last ball before the skaa rebellion broke out.

Just checked it out, you are correct! It's in chapter 31 of The Final Empire.

Another instance (perhaps not as good an example), in The Well of Ascension (chapter 52):

"She threw a Soothing on the couple, suppressing their concern and suspicion. Then, she Rioted their willingness to help. She wasn't as good as Breeze, but she wasn't unpracticed, either. The couple immediately relaxed."