Hoid's Abilities: WoR Spoilers

GeoffreyH

Yeah the way I understood it, Dragonsteel will show Hoids origins, to a degree. But Brandon has said stormlight won't be a big part of the cosmere plot. It does have more to do with it than most of his other cosmere works it seems, but I think brandon said that he wanted Stormlight to have its own complete plot. Which means even more cosmere oriented series to come! Which most likely means more of Hoid!

I don't remember where but i heard a quote from Sandersonw here he said Hoid wouldn't be involved as a major character 'until' Mistborn 7-9. I put 'until' in quotes because hes Supposed to be involved in his origin story: (which actually isn't Dragonsteel) The Liar of Partinel as well as the story about the shattering: Dragonsteel. Although he's been more involved on Roshar than in other worlds thus far, i still feel that he is skittering along the line of non-intervention.

my interpretation of what Sanderson said was that Hoid was likely involved on the events on Yolen in those two series and then theres a long period of non-intervention until Mistborn 7-9 where he is an important character again.

I don't doubt Hoid's Feruchemical abilities at all, but can anyone point me in the direction of where the evidence to support that is? I just can't recall off the top of my head.

Edit: Also, I remember reading in one of the Mistborns that Hemuralgy was of great interest to the Cosmere. Maybe he made a tiny spike out of the bead?

Edited by WeiryWriter
Please do not double post, use the Edit function

I don't doubt Hoid's Feruchemical abilities at all, but can anyone point me in the direction of where the evidence to support that is? I just can't recall off the top of my head.

Edit: Also, I remember reading in one of the Mistborns that Hemuralgy was of great interest to the Cosmere. Maybe he made a tiny spike out of the bead?

It is WoB:

Mike Cockrum

Hoid is regularly around when important events take place. How does he know where to go?

Brandon Sanderson

He uses Feruchemy. Part of it that will show up in later books.

(source)

Could a lerasium spike steal another persons Sdna? Has this been asked? Most likely it would be RAFOd but still interesting. What if the spike, being of preservation, instead of stealing, just copies?

Stealing sDNA is essentially what all Hemalurgy does. I believe Brandon has RAFO'd the questions pertaining to lerasium's other uses.

I'm reasonably sure that Hoid could shave off a piece of Lerasium and eat it for weaker mistborn powers, and then use the rest of it as maybe a tiny little spike as well as a feruchemical metalmind. I'm just wondering if he hasn't found some way to duplicate the effect it has using Investure from other sources.

Roarsach, on 22 Mar 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

Q&A from DC:

Q: What alloy did Hoid drink?

A: He wanted to make people act in the way he wanted them to

:D

So we're looking at Soothing or Rioting; I'm guessing Soothing from what I remember of the scene. Or some other weird esoteric alloy we've never seen.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 387973120 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 447097136 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

AGH SORRY ROARSACH. Accidental downvote. I hate my phone. Also, very interesting that he used brass or zinc, I thought he might have used bronze to detect shallan's lightweaving/stormlight retention.

np :) i was thinking the same. Its very interesting that he could ether sooth or riot!

I wonder if he uses it when being Wit to make people react the way he wants them to? The best comedian is one who uses magic to make you amused/less murderous after being insulted, after all.

I would say the best comedian is one who doesn't need magic to evoke the desired responses. ;-)

The letter seems to imply that he has hidden the lerasium not burned it. 

On the contrary it says he guards it like his own skin. I interpret this as his body, implying he ingested it. I always assumed he used it to grant Feruchemy, but he evidently is Soothing Lan in WoR...

I didn't miss that! That had me speculating for a while!!

It might be a lightweaving quirk: Shallan has to draw what she light weaves? I believe Hoid has a method using sand perhaps??

But I can't imagine him drinking sand even he's not that strange haha

Brandon stated that Hoid is the most powerful character except for shard/ sliver.

Hoids abilities:

-Lightweaving from yolen. This allows him to create images of anything he likes, and even possibly change how he looks to others.

-Worldhopping Hoid is very good at manipulating Shadesmar. He can travel to any world he likes, and can even use this ability to move swiftly around a single planet and to get to otherwise inaccessible areas, like the Well of Ascension.

-Feruchemy - Hoid also has access to at least one of the Three Metallic Arts native to Scadrial.

-Limited foresight - Hoid knows where he needs to go and when he needs to be there. Feruchemy is somehow involved in this ability.

-Extremely long life and time dilation. Hoid is far older then any human could really live, and he also hasn't lived through all those years. He can move swiftly forward in time, but has not yet traveled backwards in time.

-Awakening - Hoid likely has a Breath, something that a scene in Words of Radiance seems to confirm, as he mentions how playing an instrument was easier now with 'perfect pitch' - something granted to those with the Second Heightening.

But i think what he put in his drink helps him live longer ;)

This is all I have unfortunately.

You forgot that he has Talendel's Honorblade, so tag Stormlight use, Tension, and Cohesion Surges.

Weiry ninja! :ph34r:  

So we're looking at Soothing or Rioting; I'm guessing Soothing from what I remember of the scene. Or some other weird esoteric alloy we've never seen.

Q: What alloy did Hoid drink?

A: He wanted to make people act in the way he wanted them to

Interesting. I thought he was burning Tin as Hoid is up on a tree limb outside Shallan's carriage but can quote back to Shallan what her brother said:

"Your father is slowly destroying your family," the messenger said. "Your brother was right on that count. He was wrong about everything else." - WoR end of chapter 45 Middlefest

Either way, allomancy and feruchemy are both proven!

• Chaos locked this topic