[OB] The Voice

Auger

Was re-reading Oathbringer and came across this quote, from where Syl was telling Kaladin about her remembering times before she was bonded to him.

“Besides, there was… another voice. Pure, with a song like tapped crystal, distant yet demanding…” She smiled, and zipped away.

Any thoughts on whose voice this was? I'm betting Cultivation, edging Syl towards bonding Kaladin.

Tien is dead. Dead dead. It isn't him. Cultivation is possible. 

But Dalinar also hears a voice commanding him to "Unite them", and it is not the Stormfather. I have to doubt he is hearing Cultivation, as that doesn't sound like something she would say (I am guessing). 

If it isn't Cultivation, who is talking? Adonalsium from the Spiritual Realm? Is that possible? (Yes, I know he was shattered, obviously) The God Beyond? 

Something unusual is going on here and I am not sure it fits in neatly with the mental model we have constructed of the Cosmere. 

Edited by ZenBossanova

5 hours ago, Auger said:

Was re-reading Oathbringer and came across this quote, from where Syl was telling Kaladin about her remembering times before she was bonded to him.

“Besides, there was… another voice. Pure, with a song like tapped crystal, distant yet demanding…” She smiled, and zipped away.

Any thoughts on whose voice this was? I'm betting Cultivation, edging Syl towards bonding Kaladin.

Tien could of done it right after he was dead, before he traveled to the beyond.

For Sly it was probably cultivation because her spren, cultivationspren are made partly from crystals and truthwactcher spren are light that traveled through a spren, involve crystals. We also know that she probably told the cultivation spren to start bonding again, and she messed with Dalinar's blessing and probably Lift's and Taravangians's blessings as well.

For Dalinar I predicting that it is his Mandate, now that he slowly is taking up honor's power he is turning the mandate to unity.

We also learn that there was another proto-radiant in Amaram's army, but "he is long since dead". Maybe Tien's death wasn't so much a tragedy as much as it was an assassination. It would make sense if Helloran (and his friends) were sent to kill Tien since that is the exact sort of mission undertaken by new Skybreakers.

How people detect radiants and proto-radiants from a distance is still a mystery.

Edited by teknopathetic

I think Tien is a good match.  Perhaps higher spren like Syl are also drawn to the emotions and feelings of those around their potential Radiants, as well as the Radiant themself.  So she wasn't just drawn to Kaladin's drive to protect others, but also Tien's appreciation of the protection his brother gave him.

It's actually rather surprising that after Tien's death instead of falling apart Kaladin dedicates himself to protecting his squad and the young/helpless soldiers that remind him of Tien.  This is also when he starts being called Stormblessed the first time.  This may be a sign that Syl started bonding with Kal almost exactly when Tien died, giving his spirits a subtle boost to keep going.

2 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

We also learn that there was another proto-radiant in Amaram's army, but "he is long since dead". Maybe Tien's death wasn't so much a tragedy as much as it was an assassination. It would make sense if Helloran (and his friends) were sent to kill Tien since that is the exact sort of mission undertaken by new Skybreakers.

How people detect radiants and proto-radiants from a distance is still a mystery.

I actually think Kaladin's first commanding officer Tukks might have been the proto-Radiant that the Skybreakers assassinated.  I think the same battle that Tien dies in may have been the one where Tukks and all the rest of Kaladin's old squad are killed, because Kaladin starts the Tien flashback wandering the battlefield confused and without his squad.  We've been told several times that Kaladin feels guilty for Tukks' death, but thus far we haven't received any details regarding his death.  Tukks seems to have taught Kaladin almost everything he knows about leadership and being a soldier, which he later passed on to his squad in Amaram's army and Bridge 4.

12 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

Tien is dead. Dead dead. It isn't him. 

Tien is Dead, definitely Dead Dead.

He was, however, very much alive for the early part of Kaladin’s military career. The Pure Voice that Syl heard before she found Kaladin could  easily have been Tien’s voice. 

Considering Kaldin’s recollections and how he viewed and remembers his brother, I think it is very likely that his is the voice that Syl heard before she found Kaladin.

Could it have possibly been Lirin? Tien just doesn't seem like he would have ever had a demanding voice. (I interpret the voice itself as demanding. Not that Syl felt compelled to listen) And it seems like Kaladin may have spent more time with his dad than his brother since he was basically his dad's apprentice and Tien wasn't good in the surgery. Lirin had a huge impact on young Kaladin. And on the struggles Kaladin is now facing with knowing who you can save. 

On 18-4-2018 at 4:30 PM, ZenBossanova said:

Tien is dead. Dead dead. It isn't him.

It's a "memory" Syl has of Hearthstone, so yes, it can definitely be him.

11 hours ago, Philomath said:

Could it have possibly been Lirin? Tien just doesn't seem like he would have ever had a demanding voice. (I interpret the voice itself as demanding. Not that Syl felt compelled to listen) And it seems like Kaladin may have spent more time with his dad than his brother since he was basically his dad's apprentice and Tien wasn't good in the surgery. Lirin had a huge impact on young Kaladin. And on the struggles Kaladin is now facing with knowing who you can save. 

Read the entire scene:

Syl walked up to him in the air. "They're like I remember them."

"Remember them?" Kaladin whispered. "Syl, you never knew me when I lived here."

"That's true," she said.

"So how can you remember them?" Kaladin said, frowning.

"Because I do," Syl said, flitting around him. "Everyone is connected, Kaladin. Everything is connected. I didn't know you then, but the winds did, and I am of the winds."

"You're honorspren."

"The winds are of Honor," she said, laughing as if he'd said something ridiculous. "We are kindred blood."

"You don't have blood."

"And you don't have an imagination, it appears." She landed in the air before him and became a young woman. "Besides, there was... another voice. Pure, with a song like tapped crystal, distant yet demanding..." She smiled, and zipped away.

The first sentence, "they're like I remember them" combined with the "there was... another voice" confirms that she is referring to someone who isn't there for the reunion.

The first part in general shows Syl has memories of Hearthstone in particular.

So yeah, I don't see why it'd have to be Cultivation (who barely has a connection to honorspren and Kaladin anyways), it certainly won't be Adonalsium and it very certainly won't be the God Beyond because Brandon has said before that he doesn't intend to make any firm statements on that.

Occam's razor: It's Tien.

I tend to the Tien fraction, but would like to ask Syl what are the voices of the other people?

Is this what she tries to say with "everything is connected"?

That everything has a voice and a song, just that this one voice is now quiet?

9 minutes ago, Just another guyn said:

Could it also have been another of the storm father's siblings? Or maybe  tanavast's shadow of self (like what fuzz was to leras?), or it could be someone we have yet to meet. The theory that it could have been hoid is not wothout merit

I'm going to stand by Occam's razor saying it's Tien.

1 hour ago, Patrick Star said:

It's probably the white sand

Better that than yellow snow.

I actually hit this sentence myself last night and was thinking about it.

Song could related to the Singers, but I can't see how it would tie to Hearthstone or Kaladin.   "Tapped crystal" is such an odd description for a voice.....any chance Honor's not really fully 100% dead?  Maybe related to the same source as Dalinar's weird visions/voices/lights that aren't from the Stormfather?

1 hour ago, Patrick Star said:

It's probably the white sand

** nods vigorously whilst sucking on his fingers **

Mmhhmmm! Mmmhmmm!

Its called SanderSmack! it gives you access to fortune for a lil bit..

Ok ok, it doesnt really.. but have some you'll see what I mean. First times free!! B)

** sigh **

Alright you've got me. Its really just suger.. powdered suger.. Mormon powdered suger. Your supposed to rub it under your arms. Dont ask me why I didnt make the rules! 

Those Mormons.. they know things man. Just look at Brandon.. he knows things.. and I need to know these things!

Mr Brandon.. pls sir, can I have some more? Like, I know you have these flashes of brilliant inspiration and you need to bench things to sort out whats going on in that fantastic mind of yours and no one is arguing about your productivity but.. if you dont mind to much Id really appreciate The Lost Metal.. any day now..

If it helps I could throw a Tantrum! :blink:

** sigh ** 

Ok Ill be good I guess, I can wait. Ill just.. finish off Thomas Covenant.

!~ HIF ~!

Edited by Hoids Imaginary Friend