Tentative release date for unhallowed stones/ Stormlight Archives book 3

Konn

• 1 month later...

I read somewhere that he was renaming it from Stones Stones Unhallowed to Skybreaker.....I feel that the first is more poetic, but the second is a better book title.  

Only if Patrick Rothfuss puts out "Doors of Stone" before book 3.  Trademarks and all that

Oh Stormfather! Still have to wait nearly two years before reading Stormlight 3… That's quite a long time! I really want to know about Szeth's backstory and the Shin culture… Wait! Wait! Wait! Good thing that we still get several Cosmere books to anticipate =)

Oh Stormfather! Still have to wait nearly two years before reading Stormlight 3… That's quite a long time! I really want to know about Szeth's backstory and the Shin culture… Wait! Wait! Wait! Good thing that we still get several Cosmere books to anticipate =)

75c.jpg

Book titles are reused all the time, so it wouldn't preclude Skybreaker being the title of Brandon's book. That said I was under the impression that "Skybreaker" was only ever a working-title? It doesn't seem to fit with the "name the novels after in-world books" theme he wants to do.

Book titles are reused all the time, so it wouldn't preclude Skybreaker being the title of Brandon's book. That said I was under the impression that "Skybreaker" was only ever a working-title? It doesn't seem to fit with the "name the novels after in-world books" theme he wants to do.

Not necessarily - for all we know there is a historical account, or something to that effect, on the Herald Nalan, and its title is Skybreaker. Or he wrote an autobiography. Or he's kept a personal diary for thousands of years, and that's what Brandon has been referring to when he says that the third book in the Archive is... unusual.

Either way, both Stones Unhallowed and Skybreaker are working titles, Brandon has been jumping between them. Words of Radiance was The Book of Endless Pages for most of the writing and revision process. So I wouldn't call either one of them official, or even more likely than the other.

Dear diary,

Today I wore my new shoes, but now I have a callus. I shall have revenge upon that storming shoemaker!

Dear diary,

Today a wicked spawn of Odium ate my dinner. I shall not rest until I cast the little Voidbringer back to Damnation!

Dear diary,

Today was a good day. I recruited a new member for my Order. He met all requirements – crazy eyes and blind obedience, with the small case of being dead, but I resurrected him. I’m awesome. Not that little stormcursed-dinner-eating spawn of Odium. I am awesome.

For that, you win the whole internet. (and an upvote) :)

Not necessarily - for all we know there is a historical account, or something to that effect, on the Herald Nalan, and its title is Skybreaker. Or he wrote an autobiography. Or he's kept a personal diary for thousands of years, and that's what Brandon has been referring to when he says that the third book in the Archive is... unusual.

Either way, both Stones Unhallowed and Skybreaker are working titles, Brandon has been jumping between them. Words of Radiance was The Book of Endless Pages for most of the writing and revision process. So I wouldn't call either one of them official, or even more likely than the other.

Hence me saying it doesn't seem to fit the convention.  There could very possibly be a book, but having one book named after an order and none of the others feels out of place to me.  "Lightweaver" was a proposed title for WoR after Brandon decided against tBoEP, but Brandon shot it down because it felt too "on the nose" (or something along those lines).  Also I wouldn't call  The Book of Endless Pages a  working titles because it was the Planned title.  Working titles are for when you don't know what the final project is going to be called but need something to call it for now, but it is never intended to be the final name.  TBoEP *was* intended to be the final name, Brandon just realized it was bad, so he changed it.  Likewise Stones Unhallowed was intended to be the final name, from what I have seen, and it still might be depending on when Rothfuss gets out Day Three (though that might have been a joke?).

Edit: Granted this is my understanding of the situation. I am not, however, actually "in the know" about such things, I'm not Brandon or Peter after all.

Edited by WeiryWriter

Dear diary,

Today I wore my new shoes, but now I have a callus. I shall have revenge upon that storming shoemaker!

Dear diary,

Today a wicked spawn of Odium ate my dinner. I shall not rest until I cast the little Voidbringer back to Damnation!

Dear diary,

Today was a good day. I recruited a new member for my Order. He met all requirements – crazy eyes and blind obedience, with the small case of being dead, but I resurrected him. I’m awesome. Not that little stormcursed-dinner-eating spawn of Odium. I am awesome.

After reading this, I'm now hoping for this version of the in-world book.   Come on, Brandon, make it happen!   :P

Or he's kept a personal diary for thousands of years, and that's what Brandon has been referring to when he says that the third book in the Archive is... unusual.

The third SA book or the third in-world book? Do you have a source for that?

• 3 weeks later...

According to Peter here's the release schedule:

Book 3: Fall 2016

Book 4-5: Fall 2018, and Fall 2020.

Mistborn trilogy break, and then Book 6 2025, or 2026

I'll be old by then. Nevermind, Journey before destination.

Years like 2025 look so sci-fi to me, much the same way the phrase "10 years ago" makes me think of the 90s...

In the year 2025...

If we are still alive...

If this forum can survive...

We may find...

• 1 year later...

Side note- is Brandon going to have a new series soon? I mean, besides future mistborn? Surely he'll have some cool idea by 2025, right?

I hope not. He is writing enough as it is, I'd rather he wraps up Stormlight Archive first five books before he embarks into anything new too lengthy, but we all know it won't happen.

Mistborn has another...5 books to go, excluding Shadows of Self? Alloy of Law was a stand-alone, I believe, and Wax and Wayne are supposed to make up the second of three trilogies. Stormlight Archive has another 8 to go, we'll get Dragonsteel at some point in the distant future, and then there's the multitude of different stand-alone novels, cosmere and non-cosmere, novellas and various other bits. These include the continuation of the Warbreaker and Elantris series, 'The Dark One' (no info yet on that) and the Rithmatist series.

Let's just say we won't lack for reading material for the next 100 years or so.

Stormlight Archive and Mistborn alone should last until 2025 I think, since there'll be a break between the first 5 and the second 5 Stormlight Archive books and the Mistborn series will potentially have a break between trilogies as well. I think it says somewhere that Brandon needs some time to come down from writing something as massive as Stormlight.

Edited by Cemci