Lift

Dawnshard

At the LA signing my cousin asked if we would see lift more and he said that in the second part of the Stormlight Archive she will be a major character. Brandon said that he is seeding other main characters for the second part through the first part. What other characters do you think will become main focuses. 

At the LA signing my cousin asked if we would see lift more and he said that in the second part of the Stormlight Archive she will be a major character. Brandon said that he is seeding other main characters for the second part through the first part. What other characters do you think will become main focuses. 

Oh, I assumed that the time difference between the first part and the second part was going to be centuries. Unless Lift becomes immortal (which would be awesome), this implies that Part Two of the Stormlight Archives will take place within the lifetime of most of the major characters (assuming they survive Part One).

Edit: I just realized that the other major characters becoming immortal is also a possibility, which would make my above statement seem pointless. What I mean is Part One and Part two might just be decades apart in-universe, as opposed to centuries apart.

Edited by skaa

I'm calling a six-year gap. It's a nice amount of time to allow Lift to grow older- 21 in our years.

It would be fun to see Lift as a 40-something year old woman, the head of her Order and acting like a stereotypical Edgedancer (refined, graceful, etc.), but with the "awesome" teenager still hiding there somewhere.

Edited by skaa

I'm calling a six-year gap. It's a nice amount of time to allow Lift to grow older- 21 in our years.

With such a short gap though, would we have a reason for a completely new set of heroes to take center stage? I mean, short of all the characters we love dying horribly at the end of book 5... and while Brandon may not be as against killing main characters as Robert Jordan, that sort of thing is something even GRRM hasn't done.

With such a short gap though, would we have a reason for a completely new set of heroes to take center stage? I mean, short of all the characters we love dying horribly at the end of book 5... and while Brandon may not be as against killing main characters as Robert Jordan, that sort of thing is something even GRRM hasn't done.

Did Brandon say that we'd be shifting protagonists completely? I thought whoever survived the first 5 would be around still, maybe just in the background.

The only thing that isn´t awesome about Lift being a major character in part is that this means we will at most get one interlude per book from her. By the same logic guess all characters that get constant mentionings in the interludes and/or are somewhat young are good bets. This makes Rysn and Axies rather likely. While Axies dosen´t seem to be young he is just to awesome and who knows how old he is by Aimian standarts.

I am certainly hoping that either being a radiant grants your increased lifespan or that the gap between book 5 and 6 is only something like 6-10 years, I REALLY want to see lift as a young woman rather than an experienced woman closer to 30+... or worse.

Has Brandon given us any indication whether we are going to get an entirely new set of major characters or just downgrade some of the current ones and upgrade Lift and the like? (I don't think so).

I honestly don't think I would like it if every major character still around after book 5 were to be dumped into the youarenolongerimportant bin, sure it seems logical that some of our beloved characters will die or slowly become lesser players on the world stage. But all of them going just seems a bit much. Guess we will RAFO :S. 

One thing to think about for the second half is even of the current major characters still around, will their stories be the ones to follow 6-10 years from now?

Take Kaladin.  If he is in the second part of the book who will he be? Very likely he'll have most of his inner conflicts in order, be in a relationship, possibly have children (which could lead to inner conflicts) and be the head honcho for a large number of Windrunners.  He would still be a major player but I don't know if that story would take center stage over a more conflicted character who is down in the trenches.  

Depends. I think yes. I mean we've heard Kal might get a second book in the latter 5. We don't know. But I can see why we'd wind up following new characters for the later books, or at least see less of the Heroes who Saved the World. Because when you follow a character who's more legend than truth things get a little dull.

It would be fun to see Lift as a 40-something year old woman, the head of her Order and acting like a stereotypical Edgedancer (refined, graceful, etc.), but with the "awesome" teenager still hiding there somewhere.

Not sure what you guys are talking about. Lift will always be this many (holds up both hands with fingers extended).

Depends. I think yes. I mean we've heard Kal might get a second book in the latter 5. We don't know. But I can see why we'd wind up following new characters for the later books, or at least see less of the Heroes who Saved the World. Because when you follow a character who's more legend than truth things get a little dull.

iirc, Brandon Sanderson once made a comment to the effect that we shouldn't rule out the possibility of a posthumous viewpoint character for one of the books.

So even if Kaladin is supposed to be the viewpoint character for one of the later books, that doesn't rule out him getting killed in the first half of the storyline.

And? For many reasons it's often the start of real adulthood in the US. That makes it a good place to start off a character like Lift's story.

21 isn't a magical age in most other places, and even less so in a medieval society set in another reality with magics gods and aliens, and I trust that Brandon is to much of a professional to end the SA with "And God Bless America".

P.S I was going to write something entirely different but I couldn't get it to not sound offensive so I will just say, please dial back on the us-centrality =)

My favorite thing about Lift?

When Simol was informed of the arrival of the Edgedancers, a concealed consternation and terror, as is common in such cases, fell upon him; although they were not the most demanding of orders, their graceful, limber movements hid a deadliness that was, by this time, quite renowned; also, they were the most articulate and refined of the Radiants.

:D 

While I am most looking forward to more LIft in future interludes and as a future focus character. I don't look forward to having to learn about new characters while leaving every major character from the first half behind (in terms of focus), which is what you all seem to be implying.

Lift is simply, for lack of a better word, Awesome.

While I am most looking forward to more LIft in future interludes and as a future focus character. I don't look forward to having to learn about new characters while leaving every major character from the first half behind (in terms of focus), which is what you all seem to be implying.

I'm expecting the second half's focus change being similar to what we see of Dalinar in WoR compared to tWoK. He still plays a prominent role in the story but only had a few direct pov's. In the second half, our beloved characters will still be important to the story but they won't have many dedicated viewpoints

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned