Lift

Dawnshard

21 isn't a magical age in most other places, and even less so in a medieval society set in another reality with magics gods and aliens, and I trust that Brandon is to much of a professional to end the SA with "And God Bless America".

P.S I was going to write something entirely different but I couldn't get it to not sound offensive so I will just say, please dial back on the us-centrality =)

No. Brandon and a vast majority of his readership live in the US. That is more than enough reason for that to be an applicable age to look at. And magical or not it's a strong age in the Brain maturation process that ends around 24. You cannot ignore the significance of the world the writer lives in in books.

No. Brandon and a vast majority of his readership live in the US. That is more than enough reason for that to be an applicable age to look at. And magical or not it's a strong age in the Brain maturation process that ends around 24. You cannot ignore the significance of the world the writer lives in in books.

21 is just when you can drink in the US, and that only in the last 40 years.  Major brain development continues to age 25.  18 is a full adulthood in most cultures, including the US.  If we are going biologically, maturation completes sometime after age 25 (slightly different for each person).

But Kaladin is able to make decisions about joining the army against his parents wishes at 15 years old (per the text) and so that's likely a better in world denotation of adulthood.  I doubt Brandon Sanderson is making decisions on what to do in his fantasy world based on arbitrary designations in the US.

Ok nobody are talking about this one but I think that Lift will appear in book 3. Azir new emperor Gawx (aka Lift new BFF) invited Dalinar to chat. So it's look to me that Lift will have the chance to talk with Dalinar and the new Knight order.

If we count Jasnah we have six orders of the "New Radiant Order". If any of the Skybreaker are to be conviced to drop Nalan (Szeth i'm looking at you) we would have 7.

"There had been no sucession war in Azir of course . Those required too much paper work. The new emperor had invited Dalinar to visit."

Edited by Natans

I wouldn't want her to be too much older. It'd be nice if she kept the same personality, but had some more responsibility. I wouldn't want her to be battle hardened or something...at least not too much.

• Chaos locked this topic